An Old School Catholic Message Board

Difficult-to-find Items For Postulancy

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

I had a PM discussion with another candidate for the postulancy on here and got the idea to create a blog or webpage with information on how to find some of the most difficult items that are needed for entering orders. Sometimes, some of you post that you can't find things that you need and I love doing research. One of my friends who entered an order recently needed long-sleeve Peter Pan collared shirts to wear with her postulant jumper and she couldn't find adult sizes anywhere. If I had known, I would have helped her as I later found them at Land's End under the "uniforms" tab. :)

Please list here any items that you need(ed) that you had trouble finding. I'd love for the list to be as accurate and detailed as possible, so what better way to do that than by asking these lovely candidates on Vocation Station? :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1342667269' post='2456934']
Sounds like a great idea, MM! I'll send you a PM with some of our "tough stuff"!
[/quote]

Terrific! I look forward to it! :)

maximillion

We need English and USA posts as the suppliers and needs are different. For example, peter pan collars on adult stuff are relatively easy to find here in the UK.

Great idea!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1342684643' post='2456967']
We need English and USA posts as the suppliers and needs are different. For example, peter pan collars on adult stuff are relatively easy to find here in the UK.

Great idea!
[/quote]

Thanks! I'm not sure if there are any UK candidates on Phatmass, but they are certainly welcome to add to the list. :)

HopefulBride

MM,

I'll PM you some of my tough to find stuff.

Thanks for doing this :)

Lisa, I'll PM you about another tough to find thing.

TheresaThoma

This is a great idea! This definitely could be a big help and maybe with some of the not so tough stuff but stuff where you are wondering what would be the best to get too.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1342731425' post='2457108']
This is a great idea! This definitely could be a big help and maybe with some of the not so tough stuff but stuff where you are wondering what would be the best to get too.
[/quote]

Good idea!

I'm in the process of trying to set up a website at weebly.com. Hopefully, it won't be too difficult to set up. :)

I may have some items leftover from my time in the convent and would be happy to sell them for shipping cost only. I know how expensive buying all the items new can be!

For example, I have a long black water resistant winter coat in size 4 ... Only worn a few times, in great condition, bought for over $200 and I'd be happy to send it to someone who needs it for entrance. If you want I could take a pic.

To Jesus Through Mary

Ankle length grey skit was next to impossible to find! Needed to be more of an A-frame cut and not pencil.

Good nun shoes- although now I would know where to go, but previous to that I had no clue what I should be looking for. (besides just being ugly ;)

Wrinkly free button-up white shirts.

These were the things hard for me to find. Hope it's helpful.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1342868989' post='2457520']
Ankle length grey skit was next to impossible to find! Needed to be more of an A-frame cut and not pencil.

Good nun shoes- although now I would know where to go, but previous to that I had no clue what I should be looking for. (besides just being ugly ;)

Wrinkly free button-up white shirts.

These were the things hard for me to find. Hope it's helpful.
[/quote]

This is all good stuff to know. As far as the full grey skirt, did it have to be button up, or could it just be a maxi skirt?

For the nun shoes, I put a link specifically on my website for black oxford shoes and some shoe store websites to look at. Did you have to have a different kind?

I'll do some searching for wrinkle-free button up shirts. :)

Mark's Work Wearhouse in Canada has A TON of wrinkle free button up shirts in a variety of cuts and styles. Just put them in the dryer for 5min, shake out and [b]no ironing![/b]. It's a beautiful thing. Perhaps they ship to the US? They are having a 70% off sale right now: [url="http://www2.marks.com/"]http://www2.marks.com/[/url]

To Jesus Through Mary

Nun shoes, you don't get much better the SAS (I can't believe those words are coming out of my mouth) but the order I was in we moved a lot- I mean a LOT. So good support, comfortable, long lasting, and durable. Granny shoes for sure, but they are great.

The skirt couldn't be like a t-shirt, like most of the maxis are. But it didn't need to be button up. When I entered they ended up just giving me a skirt a previous sister had used... dang I miss it.

TheresaThoma

Eddie Bauer has wrinkle free shirts though they may not always have the long sleeve non notch neck in womens. I can't find them online right now but I'm pretty sure when I worked there we had them in store.. If you need they always have them in mens too. Again not the cheapest but they do last a long time.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1342893648' post='2457590']
Nun shoes, you don't get much better the SAS (I can't believe those words are coming out of my mouth) but the order I was in we moved a lot- I mean a LOT. So good support, comfortable, long lasting, and durable. Granny shoes for sure, but they are great.

The skirt couldn't be like a t-shirt, like most of the maxis are. But it didn't need to be button up. When I entered they ended up just giving me a skirt a previous sister had used... dang I miss it.
[/quote]

Well, I did a LOT of searching and you are right! The long grey skirts that aren't made of jersey material are very difficult to find, but I finally managed to find a great website called The Skirt Outlet. They have about 4 or 5 skirts that are great for the SSVMs. This are the ones I'm linking to on the list:

[url="http://theskirtoutlet.com/pinstripe-light-gray-long-dressy-skirt.html"]Pinstripe Light Gray Long Dressy Skirt[/url]

[url="http://theskirtoutlet.com/cologrsk.html"]Comfort Long Gray Skirt[/url]

I was so syked to find these because it took me about a day to research. :)

I'm also going to link to this skirt because it includes plus sizes:

[url="http://www.eastessence.com/products/Chambray_Skirt-761-11.html"]Chambray Grey Skirt[/url]

Edited by MaterMisericordiae