An Old School Catholic Message Board

Difficult-to-find Items For Postulancy

OnlySunshine

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1342954877' post='2457863']
Well, I did a LOT of searching and you are right! The long grey skirts that aren't made of jersey material are very difficult to find, but I finally managed to find a great website called The Skirt Outlet. They have about 4 or 5 skirts that are great for the SSVMs. This are the ones I'm linking to on the list:

[url="http://theskirtoutlet.com/pinstripe-light-gray-long-dressy-skirt.html"]Pinstripe Light Gray Long Dressy Skirt[/url]

[url="http://theskirtoutlet.com/cologrsk.html"]Comfort Long Gray Skirt[/url]

I was so syked to find these because it took me about a day to research. I was coming up with all sorts of jersey like skirts. :)
[/quote]

Cute!! And WTG!

And I really like that website. I think I might order something from there.

Edited by To Jesus Through Mary

OnlySunshine

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1342893648' post='2457590']
Nun shoes, you don't get much better the SAS (I can't believe those words are coming out of my mouth) but the order I was in we moved a lot- I mean a LOT. So good support, comfortable, long lasting, and durable. Granny shoes for sure, but they are great.

The skirt couldn't be like a t-shirt, like most of the maxis are. But it didn't need to be button up. When I entered they ended up just giving me a skirt a previous sister had used... dang I miss it.
[/quote]

And I agree with you about SAS shoes. They rock! My grandmother introduced me to them because she is a nurse and then my other grandmother started wearing them and always commented on how comfortable they were. I was tired of not finding any comfortable shoes so my non-nurse grandmother (on my dad's side) took me to the SAS store in town and I got these:

[url="http://www.sasshoes.com/main/view_styles.php?catid=2&prodid=52"]SAS Free Time in White[/url]

They lasted such a long time and all I had to replace were the inner soles because I wore them so much. Now, I wear Easy Spirits because the SAS store is all the way on the other side of town and is not easy to get to because of traffic. I miss the outlet store they had here.

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1342955170' post='2457865']
Cute!! And WTG!

And I really like that website. I think I might order something from there.
[/quote]

:blush: Thanks! When I get determined to find something, I don't stop until I find it! :hehe2:

Wow Mater-great thread! Hopefully by the end of September I will have a list of difficult items to ask about on here.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1343020259' post='2457995']
Wow Mater-great thread! Hopefully by the end of September I will have a list of difficult items to ask about on here.
[/quote]

I'm always up for the challenge! This is great practice if I ever get accepted to a religious order (God-willing, the one I am discerning with now). :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1343024640' post='2458039']
I'm always up for the challenge! This is great practice if I ever get accepted to a religious order (God-willing, the one I am discerning with now). :)
[/quote]

It is definitely great practice! You will be so ready when preparing to enter religious life.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1343041649' post='2458060']
MM- may I ask, who are you discerning with?
[/quote]

At the present time, I'm keeping the order on the down-low until I am officially accepted to enter. Right now, I'm only an aspirant in the psychological assessment process. :)

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1343041934' post='2458061']
At the present time, I'm keeping the order on the down-low until I am officially accepted to enter. Right now, I'm only an aspirant in the psychological assessment process. :)
[/quote]

Right-o, well prayers at any rate. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1343042251' post='2458063']
Right-o, well prayers at any rate. :)
[/quote]

I definitely appreciate and need prayers! I'll say some for you, too. ;)

• 2 years later...

As i already write i got today letter that i'm accept into the Carmel.I very exited about this and i found this old topic because i have one problem.

Today i have start buying items for my postulate outfit.I have found long skirts and white shirt no problem there.But i have one item i do not know where to look for.

I do not know how it is called on English so i will post picture and i made yellow circle around it.

120.png

Do you know how it is called on English this kind of neck wear?I need this for my postulate outfit and i can not found it in my place so i will try to order it online.I', kind of embarest to ask sisters about that.Thank you all for help!

Edited by Carla

IgnatiusofLoyola

As i already write i got today letter that i'm accept into the Carmel.I very exited about this and i found this old topic because i have one problem.

Today i have start buying items for my postulate outfit.I have found long skirts and white shirt no problem there.But i have one item i do not know where to look for.

I do not know how it is called on English so i will post picture and i made yellow circle around it.

120.png

Do you know how it is called on English this kind of neck wear?I need this for my postulate outfit and i can not found it in my place so i will try to order it online.I', kind of embarest to ask sisters about that.Thank you all for help!

In the U.S., at least, this kind of tie is worn most often as part of a school uniform, and should be available over the Internet.

However, I know you are not in the U.S., so the Internet may or may not be the best option for you.

I don't think you should be embarassed AT ALL to ask the Sisters for suggestions about where you can get the tie. The Sisters may actually have a supply of ties from former postulants, as the tie is probably something that doesn't wear out quickly.

Good luck!

What great news, Carla!  My prayers are with you! :nun1:

For anyone else needing last minute, hard-to-find items (ie: trunk-style "snuggies," long-sleeve cotton nightgowns, blouses with Peter Pan collars, etc.) try http://www.vermontcountrystore.com

It was recommended by a friend entering a Visitation Monastery.  She was even able to purchase her black jumpers from the company!

I may be the only one thinking this, but I should think that any order that requires a postulant 'uniform' should have a specific list of product sites that they could give to entering postulants that would create a more consistent look for their postulants. If an order wants a postulant to wear a long gray skirt, for example, then why doesn't it offer three different style suggestions from commercial manufacturers or from a uniform company to select from? Or as an alternative, come up with three different patterns from a sewing company that the girls could use to sew their own or have a seamstress make for them? If Catholic schools or prep schools can get school uniforms, then why aren't religious orders using these manufacturers as well? Obviously underwear is individual, but what about shoes, blouses, coats, purses, etc? If a professed sister or nun wears a standard habit, then why aren't the postulants' outfits also standardized? If an order allows individualized clothing but requires a certain modest appearance with clothes that are not in current fashion, then it would behoove the order to give a selection of examples to choose from. Just my two cents with a dash of frustration and annoyance for those who have to second guess and hunt for non-mainstream items of clothing. You have my sympathy!