An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chick-fil-a Issue Thing

Annie12

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1343534820' post='2459875']
WENDY IS A GINGER
[/quote]

I am a ginger. I'm tired of hiding this facet of myself.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1343534820' post='2459875']
WENDY IS A GINGER
[/quote]

Oh great. Now we have to hear more about how you hate redheads and then I will be prompted to talk of how Lil'Red is going to ritually kill you again.

I just want someone to explain to me how marriage is a right. No one has. They just tend to get flustered and start hurling some invective. That's where the bigot/homophobe comments came from. I sadly do not have a chick-fil-a near me to twitter about me going to.

If we pretend God doesn't exist and there's no absolute moral code, why the hell does the state owe tax-breaks to homosexual unions and why the HELL does the government have to validate all romantic/sexual relationships with said tax-breaks

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1343535777' post='2459881']
I just want someone to explain to me how marriage is a right. No one has. They just tend to get flustered and start hurling some invective. That's where the bigot/homophobe comments came from. I sadly do not have a chick-fil-a near me to twitter about me going to.

If we pretend God doesn't exist and there's no absolute moral code, why the hell does the state owe tax-breaks to homosexual unions and why the HELL does the government have to validate all romantic/sexual relationships with said tax-breaks
[/quote]

I agree it's not a right. Here's the link to another topic in Open Mic - it's a series of arguments (secular) against gay marriage, written in 2004 (if I recall correctly). But it addresses your questions about why the states regulate marriage.

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/122675-fantastic-article-opposing-same-sex-marriage/"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/122675-fantastic-article-opposing-same-sex-marriage/[/url]

I just want someone to explain to me how marriage is a right. No one has.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean 'explain how'? The USSC has said on a few occasions, Loving v. Virginia comes to mind, that marriage is a civil right. It's been acknowledged as a right in many courts. Even lower courts that believe that the state can limit marriage to heterosexuals acknowledge marriage as a right. I thought you were a libertarian?

[QUOTE]They just tend to get flustered and start hurling some invective. That's where the bigot/homophobe comments came from. I sadly do not have a chick-fil-a near me to twitter about me going to.[/QUOTE]
ok
[QUOTE]If we pretend God doesn't exist and there's no absolute moral code, why the hell does the state owe tax-breaks to homosexual unions and why the HELL does the government have to validate all romantic/sexual relationships with said tax-breaks
[/quote]

You misspelled 'acknowledge'

BA-BOOM!

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1343536317' post='2459882']
I agree it's not a right.
[/quote]

In America, marriage is a civil right.

[url="http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/388/1/case.html"]http://supreme.justi...388/1/case.html[/url]

[b] [i]II[/i][/b]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i]These statutes also deprive the Lovings of liberty without due process of law in violation of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. [b]The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men.[/b][/i][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i][b]Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. Skinner v. Oklahoma, [url="http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/316/535/case.html"]316 U. S. 535[/url], [url="http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/316/535/case.html#541"]316 U. S. 541[/url] (1942). See also Maynard v. Hill, [url="http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/125/190/case.html"]125 U. S. 190[/url] (1888).[/b] To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discriminations. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual, and cannot be infringed by the State.[/i][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i]These convictions must be reversed.[/i][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i]It is so ordered.[/i][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Hasan

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343535080' post='2459877']
[/quote]

Did you just come out of the red tinted closet?

[/quote]
Because floopy government. That's why.

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343535080' post='2459877']
[/quote]

I'm a ginger also- hold proud sir, hold proud. Let your pale skin shine!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343536617' post='2459887']
In America, marriage is a civil right.

[url="http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/388/1/case.html"]http://supreme.justi...388/1/case.html[/url]

[b] [i]II[/i][/b]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i]These statutes also deprive the Lovings of liberty without due process of law in violation of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. [b]The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men.[/b][/i][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i][b]Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. Skinner v. Oklahoma, [url="http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/316/535/case.html"]316 U. S. 535[/url], [url="http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/316/535/case.html#541"]316 U. S. 541[/url] (1942). See also Maynard v. Hill, [url="http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/125/190/case.html"]125 U. S. 190[/url] (1888).[/b] To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discriminations. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual, and cannot be infringed by the State.[/i][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i]These convictions must be reversed.[/i][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i]It is so ordered.[/i][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I highly doubt the writers of the Constitution would approve of gay marriage. Two of them were Catholic and all the rest were Protestants, plus at the time nobody was really accepting of it.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343529519' post='2459857']
No. And if you just go to Chick-fil-a or to Target then people probably won't read anything into it. If you announce right now GONNA GO TO CHICK-FIL-A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then people will probably read something into it, and reasonably so, unless you always announce which restraunts you're going to eat at.
[/quote]

No, actually I've already been called a homophobe and had my career threatened by two separate colleagues just because I announced on Facebook, when this became an issue for some reason, that I don't see why it's news that the founder, who has always been blatantly evangelical, has not had his views change. The GLBT group on campus has been trying to have Chick Fil-A shut down since I got here over this very issue.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1343576360' post='2459939']
I highly doubt the writers of the Constitution would approve of gay marriage. Two of them were Catholic and all the rest were Protestants, plus at the time nobody was really accepting of it.
[/quote]

Actually a number were Deists, which aren't Protestant. Tiny nitpick I know, but given it's not really Christianity I have to.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1343454902' post='2459672']
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#222222]...OK? Did someone disagree with you? I never said I didn't support Chik-Fil-A. I said I didn't care because all I wanted was just to eat the freaking chicken. I don't like politics mixing in my food. I don't want someone trying to pin me as a homophobe because I like a chicken sandwich, and in the same fashion I wouldn't want someone trying to judge my heart or religion by the fact that I would eat the hell out of a rainbow oreo. And I think that you could've stopped at "good Christian" because I consider the term conservative to be as loaded and useless as the term liberal. [/color][/font][/size]

[/quote]

I would also eat the Hell outta that rainbow oreo, multiple layers of icing? Sign me up!

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343536434' post='2459884']
What do you mean 'explain how'? The USSC has said on a few occasions, Loving v. Virginia comes to mind, that marriage is a civil right. It's been acknowledged as a right in many courts. Even lower courts that believe that the state can limit marriage to heterosexuals acknowledge marriage as a right. I thought you were a libertarian?
[/quote]

I don't know what I am politically really. I would say my beliefs tend to align with libertarianism,but I've admitted ignorance concerning the areas of political theory and the like.

And your rebuttal, while a refreshing change from speaking with an unpleasant disposition about how afraid of the gays I am, doesn't explain why marriage should be a right. I know you disagree exactly about what rights [i]are[/i] and how rights are given to people, but that's what I'm more interested in. Because if basic "human rights" are conferred by man-made legal systems we encounter a myriad of problems. So the courts pronounce marriage as a right? razzle dazzle, but I disagree. How did they arrive at this conclusion? When it says "right to marry"? What is meant by "marry"? I also think there is a fundamental difference in regards to inter-racial marriage in that the state didn't want superior races inter-breeding with supposed inferior races and producing a bunch of bi-racial kids, and upon this faulty eugenic premise laws against inter-racial marriage was made. There's no such concern for homosexual unions as they're not going to biologically produce a family, so the state really bears no interest

[quote]
You misspelled 'acknowledge' [/quote]

What instead of 'validate'? OK, make that trifling word adjustment and answer the question :)

[quote]BA-BOOM![/quote]
your mother

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343521384' post='2459834']
I mean if you financially support an organization that gives millions of dollars to organizations that want to criminalize homosexuality...
[/quote]Who is attempting to criminalize homosexuality? This isn't Nigeria, Bud. Maybe have a friend proof read your drunk posts before posting...