Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1343328067' post='2459074']
Are you serious?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05YfP_8UsU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05YfP_8UsU[/url]

Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343356054' post='2459207']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05YfP_8UsU[/media]
[/quote]

I change my mind and agree with you for the first time in like....EVER and I don't even get a prop?

Now I'm going to have to drive 140 miles just to eat a beaver dam chicken sandwich and post a picture of it FOR YOU!

Posted

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1343358251' post='2459213']
I change my mind and agree with you for the first time in like....EVER and I don't even get a prop?

Now I'm going to have to drive 140 miles just to eat a beaver dam chicken sandwich and post a picture of it FOR YOU!
[/quote]

Undeserved suffering is redemptive.

Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1343359331' post='2459219']
Undeserved suffering is redemptive.
[/quote]

You're Redemptive Suffering!

Groo the Wanderer
Posted

actual conversation with 2 students yesterday when the bus stopped for dinner. they had to choose between chick fil a, whataburger, and panda express.

me: where you wanna go eat?
them: not chick fil a. they are against gay marriage
me: actually their owner is. the company has no stance.
them: lets go to whataburger
me: their founder also is against gay marriage
them: *silence* well...chick fil a actually said it so we're going to whataburger

derp. pretty much sums it all up. chick fil a dared to voice an opinion counter to the lgbtp movement, so they are vilified. its about snuffing out free speech....

Posted

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1343362540' post='2459230'] its about snuffing out free speech....
[/quote]

Ummmmmm....private citizens choosing to not buy from a corporation is snuffing out free speech how?



[img]http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/839/214/51a/resized/inigo-meme-generator-i-don-t-think-that-means-what-you-think-it-means-f7ab44.jpg?1321753379.jpg[/img]

Posted

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1343362540' post='2459230']
me: actually their owner is.[b] the company has no stance[/b].

[/quote]

You're also wrong

[url="http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/chick-fil-a-gay-marriage-controversy"]http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/chick-fil-a-gay-marriage-controversy[/url]

Posted

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1343362540' post='2459230']

me: where you wanna go eat?
them: not "X". they are against [traditional marriage]
me: actually their owner is. the company has no stance.
them: lets go to "Y"
me: their founder also is against [traditional marriage]
them: *silence* well..."X" actually said it so we're going to "Y"

derp. pretty much sums it all up. "X" dared to voice an opinion counter to the [catholic] movement, so they are vilified. its about snuffing out free speech....
[/quote]

Posted

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1343363228' post='2459234']
[/quote][quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1343363228' post='2459234']
[/quote]

i c wut u did there.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1343355654' post='2459201']
How exactly is me pointing out that this is not a complex issue "humanizing" and making it "better and fluffy"? I don't have to humanize, it's a human problem. Nowhere in the last week did a throng of homosexual zebras wanting marriage threaten to boycott a bunch of chicken-purveying Christian antelopes who disagreed. Besides, shouldn't the goal of a faith that claims to love each neighbour as themselves be to DESIRE to humanize problems? To have empathy and compassion? But wait, "humanizing" is what those hippie socialists do. Good Christian conservatives don't bother with that. There's a point to be made here, right?

Fact is, I don't need to debunk your point. Your point was that this was the fault of liberals and socialists. I said that was ridiculous. This is different people having different opinions. The fact that a popular view of issues differs from your view doesn't make it about socialism or liberalism, just because you consider yourself conservative. And your myopic view of politics in this country is obviously betrayed by your statement that

as though somehow those are two absolute opposites (which they are not) and that those are the only two choices (which they are not). Trying to make everything into a ERMAHGERD LIBUHRALS argument is laughable. Sometimes things really are totally uncomplicated, and trying to turn everything into some big conspiracy is just wasted mental energy. What exactly does a gay person wanting to get married and boycotting people who disagree have to do with socialism? Bingo. Not a thing. Parroting republican talking heads doesn't make what they are saying become truth.
[/quote]
[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1343355654' post='2459201']
How exactly is me pointing out that this is not a complex issue "humanizing" and making it "better and fluffy"? I don't have to humanize, it's a human problem. Nowhere in the last week did a throng of homosexual zebras wanting marriage threaten to boycott a bunch of chicken-purveying Christian antelopes who disagreed. Besides, shouldn't the goal of a faith that claims to love each neighbour as themselves be to DESIRE to humanize problems? To have empathy and compassion? But wait, "humanizing" is what those hippie socialists do. Good Christian conservatives don't bother with that. There's a point to be made here, right?

Fact is, I don't need to debunk your point. Your point was that this was the fault of liberals and socialists. I said that was ridiculous. This is different people having different opinions. The fact that a popular view of issues differs from your view doesn't make it about socialism or liberalism, just because you consider yourself conservative. And your myopic view of politics in this country is obviously betrayed by your statement that

as though somehow those are two absolute opposites (which they are not) and that those are the only two choices (which they are not). Trying to make everything into a ERMAHGERD LIBUHRALS argument is laughable. Sometimes things really are totally uncomplicated, and trying to turn everything into some big conspiracy is just wasted mental energy. What exactly does a gay person wanting to get married and boycotting people who disagree have to do with socialism? Bingo. Not a thing. Parroting republican talking heads doesn't make what they are saying become truth.
[/quote]

Am I the only one who finds the deep irony in that you two are disagreeing about people disagreeing? I'm sorry, I just wanted to point this out because it made me laugh. People can disagree about such matters. I couldn't give a floopy less (I saw Hasan saying "floopy" so many times I decided to try it out for myself). This is a big controversy about nothing. "Oh my goodness, an owner of a company has an opinion, and like all opinions some people agree and some people disagree! Let's bash them on Conan and not welcome them into our cities!". Who cares if he says he doesn't agree with homosexual marriage and gives money to specific charities? Starbucks funds abortion and supports same-sex marriage. Do I burn the city down over it? No, I just don't go there. Problem solved.

Posted

I do hope that the mayors of chicago and boston are sued if they actually attempt to prohibit chick-fil-a from setting up shop in their cities.

Posted

I do give kudos to the ACLU for putting their principles first on this one in that warning to Chicago.

Posted

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1343344858' post='2459157']
Because this thread is a microcosm of what is going wrong in America.....namely that the liberal-socialists agenda is to:[list]
[*]prevent [b]life [/b](support relationships that are not directed naturally towards the production of life while stoking the fire underneath the family structure(liberal feminism) )
[/list][list]
[*]end [b]liberty [/b]and mandate the open-one-way-mindedness of their modern viewpoint
[/list][list]
[*]Change the [b]pursuit of happiness [/b] to the government's pursuit of happiness, and not the people's pursuit.
[/list]
[/quote]

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1343344858' post='2459157']
Because this thread is a microcosm of what is going wrong in America.....namely that the liberal-socialists agenda is to:[list]
[*]prevent [b]life [/b](support relationships that are not directed naturally towards the production of life while stoking the fire underneath the family structure(liberal feminism) )
[/list][list]
[*]end [b]liberty [/b]and mandate the open-one-way-mindedness of their modern viewpoint
[/list][list]
[*]Change the [b]pursuit of happiness [/b] to the government's pursuit of happiness, and not the people's pursuit.
[/list]
[/quote]



Good floopy. Somebody must have smacked you real hard as a kid.

Posted

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1343363923' post='2459238']
I do give kudos to the ACLU for putting their principles first on this one in that warning to Chicago.
[/quote]

I agree. Good for the ACLU.

eagle_eye222001
Posted

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1343355654' post='2459201']
How exactly is me pointing out that this is not a complex issue "humanizing" and making it "better and fluffy"? I don't have to humanize, it's a human problem. Nowhere in the last week did a throng of homosexual zebras wanting marriage threaten to boycott a bunch of chicken-purveying Christian antelopes who disagreed. Besides, shouldn't the goal of a faith that claims to love each neighbour as themselves be to DESIRE to humanize problems? To have empathy and compassion? But wait, "humanizing" is what those hippie socialists do. Good Christian conservatives don't bother with that. There's a point to be made here, right?


Fact is, I don't need to debunk your point. Your point was that this was the fault of liberals and socialists. I said that was ridiculous. This is different people having different opinions. The fact that a popular view of issues differs from your view doesn't make it about socialism or liberalism, just because you consider yourself conservative. And your myopic view of politics in this country is obviously betrayed by your statement that

as though somehow those are two absolute opposites (which they are not) and that those are the only two choices (which they are not). Trying to make everything into a ERMAHGERD LIBUHRALS argument is laughable. Sometimes things really are totally uncomplicated, and trying to turn everything into some big conspiracy is just wasted mental energy. What exactly does a gay person wanting to get married and boycotting people who disagree have to do with socialism? Bingo. Not a thing. Parroting republican talking heads doesn't make what they are saying become truth.
[/quote]

Parrot? I say the same for you. Now what? Call me a conspiracy theorists again?

If I am so wrong, it is up to you to explain and show why. Yelling at me and insulting me doesn't accomplish anything. However self-exalting your position by declaring:

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1343355654' post='2459201']Fact is, I don't need to debunk your point[/quote]

If debating was this easy, everyone would pull out there "I automatically win and don't have to counter your argument."


[quote]Your point was that this was the fault of liberals and socialists.[/quote]

Yes. It is. The socialistic liberal government in this nation is concerned with shutting down liberty.....especially religious liberty.

I believe you may have heard about the HHS mandate? It's been in the news.

HHS
[url="http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/hhs-decision-prompts-more-opposition-from-catholics/"]http://www.ncregiste...from-catholics/[/url]

If I need to cite what politicians were behind this, let me know. The fact nearly every politician behind this adheres to the liberal socialistic philosophy is a conspiracy theory, right?


Then there have been at least three instances where Catholic adoption agencies have had to close due to democratic liberals forcing the church to cater to same sex couples.

Illinois
[url="http://articles.boston.com/2011-12-29/nation/30565679_1_catholic-bishops-adoption-catholic-legislators"]http://articles.bost...lic-legislators[/url]

Boston
[url="http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/03/11/catholic_charities_stuns_state_ends_adoptions/"]http://www.boston.co...ends_adoptions/[/url]

Washington D.C.
[url="http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/same-sex_marriage_law_forces_d.c._catholic_charities_to_close_adoption_program/"]http://www.catholicn...option_program/[/url]

Again, a conspiracy theory the political forces behind this lean left.




Question: What do [url="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/26/chik-fil-sandwiches-become-political-symbol/"]Mayor Rahm Emanuel[/url], [url="http://www.towleroad.com/2012/07/philly-councilman-tells-chick-fil-a-ceo-to-take-a-hike-hrc-protests-franchises-food-truck-in-dc.html"]Jim Kenney[/url], Boston Mayor [url="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/25/chicago-alderman-blocks-chick-fil-expansion/"]Thomas Menino[/url], and Chicago Alderman [url="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/25/chicago-alderman-blocks-chick-fil-expansion/"]Joe Moreno[/url] all have in common?

Answer:
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4][spoiler]They are all democrats and they are all working to stop Chick fil A from existing in their respective areas.[/spoiler][/size][/font][/color]

[font=arial, sans-serif][color=#000000][size=4]Now, again, it must be a conspiracy theory that they all come from the same liberal socialist ideology.[/size][/color][/font]




[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1343355654' post='2459201']And your myopic view of politics in this country is obviously betrayed by your statement that

as though somehow those are two absolute opposites (which they are not) and that those are the only two choices (which they are not)[/quote]

I listed two choices. One was a limited constitutional government as literally stipulated. The other is a big expansive government with a liberal interpretation of the Constitution. Where are the other political poles in this nation?

One of these governments will control and dictate the beliefs as said by people in businesses by using political pressure to only allow for one-way expression of ideas. The other allows for people to hold their personal beliefs and does not prosecute for such or limit their business options.

I must be missing a lot. Perhaps there are socialistic liberal countries in the world that have a freedom of speech, religion, etc...and a business is free to speak their mind with no political consequences? Please list them for I cannot think of one offhand.





[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1343355654' post='2459201']What exactly does a gay person wanting to get married and boycotting people who disagree have to do with socialism?[/quote]

The government controls the opinions of the businesses. If a business holds an opinion the government doesn't like, it doesn't allow it to operate.

This article seemed pretty interesting and makes the case for the terms I use.
[url="http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/politics/difference-between-socialism-and-liberalism/"]http://www.differenc...and-liberalism/[/url]


[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1343355654' post='2459201']Besides, shouldn't the goal of a faith that claims to love each neighbour as themselves be to DESIRE to humanize problems? To have empathy and compassion? But wait, "humanizing" is what those hippie socialists do. Good Christian conservatives don't bother with that[/quote]

I don't appreciate this false attack. I don't believe I condemned humanizing. If I did, please quote me so I can correct myself. I believe I only said that humanizing doesn't change the facts of a situation.

Good Christian conservatives don't sell out their faith and become parrots of the government, or sit silently by, and watch their faith get trampled.



If you can bring real facts and arguments against my points, I'll respond. However, I am not going to continue this yelling match any longer than necessary.

Basilisa Marie
Posted

I don't care if someone wants to boycott a company for it's political positions that are unrelated to its product. But I hope that you're also boycotting clothing companies that employ child slave labor and only purchase coffee and bananas that are Fair Trade or Rainforest Alliance certified. Because, ya know, those are situations where affronts to human dignity actually has an impact on the creation of the company's product. Unlike the delicious yet homophobic chicken.

Because consistency is razzle dazzle, yo.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1343368033' post='2459251']
I don't care if someone wants to boycott a company for it's political positions that are unrelated to its product. But I hope that you're also boycotting clothing companies that employ child slave labor and only purchase coffee and bananas that are Fair Trade or Rainforest Alliance certified. Because, ya know, those are situations where affronts to human dignity actually has an impact on the creation of the company's product. Unlike the delicious yet homophobic chicken.

Because consistency is razzle dazzle, yo.
[/quote]

And nobody knows consistency like Chic-Fil-A. Their sandwiches and fries consistently taste more delicious than anything else in the world.

Posted

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1343367109' post='2459250']
[/quote]


You should really know better than to pick fights with people who only suffer arguing with you out of a misplaced sense of pity and bemusement.

[spoiler][img]http://i.imgur.com/d9qVS.gif[/img][/spoiler]

missionseeker
Posted

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1343368033' post='2459251']
I don't care if someone wants to boycott a company for it's political positions that are unrelated to its product. But I hope that you're also boycotting clothing companies that employ child slave labor and only purchase coffee and bananas that are Fair Trade or Rainforest Alliance certified. Because, ya know, those are situations where affronts to human dignity actually has an impact on the creation of the company's product. Unlike the delicious yet homophobic chicken.

Because consistency is razzle dazzle, yo.
[/quote]


Don't forget about the chocolate and tomatoes! I actually know people who worked in tomato fields for less than minimum wage under slave-like conditions. There also outright slaves in some cases. Yeah. In the US

To Jesus Through Mary
Posted

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1343391660' post='2459298']
Don't forget about the chocolate and tomatoes! I actually know people who worked in tomato fields for less than minimum wage under slave-like conditions. There also outright slaves in some cases. Yeah. In the US
[/quote]

Why some people buy only fair trade food.

Why couldn't it be something like lima beans or okra. I would be up for boycotting that...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...