arfink Posted August 23, 2012 Author Posted August 23, 2012 [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0gRHu0Xjx_o/UDWFZfsh_8I/AAAAAAAAC8k/FWjSX3ZcWpM/s800/IMG_2956.JPG[/img] And now one in pretty green plastic. This acrylic is far stronger than the wood, and would be suitable for rough uses like keychains where the wood would snap.
ConfusedCatholicGuy Posted August 23, 2012 Posted August 23, 2012 Woot! These things are turning out great. They all look amesome! I hope to see them up close soon!
Innocent Posted August 23, 2012 Posted August 23, 2012 How do you get the rounded (and not sharp) edge at the outer circumference of the medal?
arfink Posted August 23, 2012 Author Posted August 23, 2012 Imagine the laser is like a saw blade, but instead of having straight edges it's shaped like a cone. This produces a "kerf" in the material that is subtly angled. The heat of the laser, coupled with the air assist, will cause very slight softening of the edges when you're running the more intense un-pulsed cut beam, and this also helps to leave the outer edge looking polished and smooth.
Innocent Posted August 23, 2012 Posted August 23, 2012 [quote name='arfink' timestamp='1345733341' post='2472617'] The heat of the laser, coupled with the air assist, will cause very slight softening of the edges when you're running the more intense un-pulsed cut beam, and this also helps to leave the outer edge looking polished and smooth. [/quote] Ah. So if I understand this right, such a method would not work with wood. Is there any way you could create rounded edges on a wooden object you work on with you laser?
arfink Posted August 23, 2012 Author Posted August 23, 2012 Well, the photos don't convey it, but the wood also has a very slight round-off on the top edge, though not on the bottom. I tend to clean my wooden pieces with a micro-abrasive sponge, and this also helps soften the edges if I rub them a little extra.
arfink Posted September 1, 2012 Author Posted September 1, 2012 So I tried making a benedict medal. It turned out pretty good. [img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zVtGoaox-a4/UEGM80A9goI/AAAAAAAADbg/Pf1FnaC6HRc/s800/IMG_3012.JPG[/img] Unfortunately this design had some issues, so I have made this, which I will try tomorrow: [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-qE2ryS-diY0/UEGRKQddpJI/AAAAAAAADb0/ccit6_sCBrs/s800/Screenshot%2520from%25202012-08-31%252023%253A37%253A41.png[/img]
arfink Posted September 1, 2012 Author Posted September 1, 2012 Aaaaand green plastic. [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xL0ZrDVPeqk/UEGdN5IbeSI/AAAAAAAADdE/8zGPObaGawk/s800/IMG_3013.JPG[/img]
Innocent Posted September 1, 2012 Posted September 1, 2012 It looks good. But it looks like you haven't attempted cuts multiple depths in the green plastic Medal of St. Benedict. The wooden one looks better because of the 3D effect of the table with the poisoned goblet and the crow. Also, if you're going to sell these, perhaps you could also consider making a few medals with the Latin "Vade Retro Satana...etc" for those who prefer the wording in Latin.
franciscanheart Posted September 1, 2012 Posted September 1, 2012 [quote name='arfink' timestamp='1345681445' post='2472222'] Here's the latest to come off the laser. This is one I'd be comfortable selling, and will be part of my initial lineup when my web store opens in 2 weeks. [img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wlje_trj3EQ/UDV2WoFuYkI/AAAAAAAAC7c/UZHMXvl5V64/s800/mta%2520pendant.JPG[/img] This is made from 1/8" basswood (it's becoming a favorite material) and is 1 3/4" across. It's meant as a pendant, but could be used as a keychain if a more sturdy material such as acrylic were used. The edges look darker than they really are, because they are in shadow. The piece is quite light in color, with only one tiny spot of visible varnish near the loop. It has not been cleaned yet, but I imagine these could look even better with a dark stain. [/quote] I was thinking a dark stain would be really nice.
Ed Normile Posted September 1, 2012 Posted September 1, 2012 With that wood I would use Tung Oil as it would preserve it and give it a clear finish. Speaking of oil you were talking about the wood used as wax stamps, it would seem that any oil such as mineral oil or even baby oil would make the wooden stamp slick where it would not stick. ed
arfink Posted September 1, 2012 Author Posted September 1, 2012 [quote name='Innocent' timestamp='1346478406' post='2477065'] It looks good. But it looks like you haven't attempted cuts multiple depths in the green plastic Medal of St. Benedict. The wooden one looks better because of the 3D effect of the table with the poisoned goblet and the crow. Also, if you're going to sell these, perhaps you could also consider making a few medals with the Latin "Vade Retro Satana...etc" for those who prefer the wording in Latin. [/quote] Yeah, I was getting impatient. It takes almost 15 minutes to make a pair of these medals as a single pass, and a half an hour to make a pair with the multi-pass method. I have to make them in pairs because of the flip that has to happen later in the cut. And yeah, I can make a version in Latin no problem.
Groo the Wanderer Posted September 1, 2012 Posted September 1, 2012 dood! your laser knows Latin?! that is so frikking razzle dazzle
TheresaThoma Posted September 1, 2012 Posted September 1, 2012 Fink you need to set up a store ASAP. These pics are teasing.
Innocent Posted September 2, 2012 Posted September 2, 2012 Also, I was just comparing this with the one I'm wearing and I noticed that your medal is missing two bits of text that are normally found on a Medal of St. Benedict: 1. "ex SM Casino MDCCCLXXX" below the feet of St. Benedict on the front side of the medal. 2. "PAX" above the cross on the back side of the medal. Also, I noticed: 1. Since you opted to expand the "V;;R..S..N..S..M..V::S..M..Q..L..I..V..B" which is normally abbreviated, you didn't have enough space to include the "Nunquam suade mihi vana! (Never Tempt Me With Your Vanities)" (N..S..M..V) 2. There are two columns that look like pillars behind St. Benedict in the front in every medal I've seen. (Or perhaps they are the frame of a doorway. I'm not sure.) I don't know if they have any theological significance, though. I notice you've left them out. 3. The foot of the cross in a typical Medal of St. Benedict is different from its other three arms in that it does not end in a knob, but rather in a kind of base. ( Or perhaps a coupling sleeve that would continue into a pastoral staff?)
arfink Posted September 2, 2012 Author Posted September 2, 2012 (edited) [quote name='Innocent' timestamp='1346548401' post='2477403'] Also, I was just comparing this with the one I'm wearing and I noticed that your medal is missing two bits of text that are normally found on a Medal of St. Benedict: 1. "ex SM Casino MDCCCLXXX" below the feet of St. Benedict on the front side of the medal. 2. "PAX" above the cross on the back side of the medal. Also, I noticed: 1. Since you opted to expand the "V;;R..S..N..S..M..V::S..M..Q..L..I..V..B" which is normally abbreviated, you didn't have enough space to include the "Nunquam suade mihi vana! (Never Tempt Me With Your Vanities)" (N..S..M..V) 2. There are two columns that look like pillars behind St. Benedict in the front in every medal I've seen. (Or perhaps they are the frame of a doorway. I'm not sure.) I don't know if they have any theological significance, though. I notice you've left them out. 3. The foot of the cross in a typical Medal of St. Benedict is different from its other three arms in that it does not end in a knob, but rather in a kind of base. ( Or perhaps a coupling sleeve that would continue into a pastoral staff?) [/quote] The first bit of text that is omitted is only included on metals that are from the "original" medal struck in 1880 in Monte Cassino on the 1400th anniversary of Benedict's death. I chose to omit that because mine isn't the same. The PAX was an oversight, I should be able to work it in. 1. Yes, it's difficult to fit that much text around the border without the abbreviations, but I wanted to have some in English to help it appeal to people who do not know Latin or the meaning of the abbreviations on the medal. 2. The columns behind Benedict are actually two large altar candles. I omitted them from the design to reduce the complexity of the image. The laser was having a hard time with the limited "resolution" of the wood as it was. 3. The base of his cross is different, yes. I didn't do this for any particular reason, except that in the pictures I have seen of the 1880 medal the base of the cross and the front of his sleeve are ambiguous. Edited September 2, 2012 by arfink
Innocent Posted September 2, 2012 Posted September 2, 2012 [quote name='arfink' timestamp='1346548687' post='2477405'] The first bit of text that is omitted is only included on metals that are from the "original" medal struck in 1880 in Monte Cassino on the 1400th anniversary of Benedict's death. I chose to omit that because mine isn't the same. [/quote] Okay. But I've seen [url="http://www.catholicforum.com/forums/showthread.php?41741-A-True-Saint-Benedict-Jubilee-Medal&daysprune=-1#post338763"]private opinions on the internet[/url] that a medal without that date [i]may[/i] not be covered by certain Indulgences. [quote name='arfink' timestamp='1346548687' post='2477405'] 3. The base of his cross is different, yes. I didn't do this for any particular reason, except that in the pictures I have seen of the 1880 medal the base of the cross and the front of his sleeve are ambiguous. [/quote] Ah, I had not noticed that, but I actually meant the cross on the back (which, [url="http://monkallover.blogspot.in/2006/05/cross-of-st-benedict.html"]Fr. Stephanos, OSB, informs us in his blog[/url], is actually the [i]front[/i] of the medal) of the medal with the CSSML and the NDSMD written on the vertical and horizontal arms. This is what I meant: [IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/prophet_o_peace/Phatmass/St_Benedict_Medal-foot-highlighted.jpg[/IMG]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now