An Old School Catholic Message Board

Usccb Allows Guitars At Mass

dells_of_bittersweet

dells_of_bittersweet

Vatican II gave regional authorities the power to allow instruments other than the organ, and in her wisdom, the USCCB has allowed guitars for use at Mass in America.

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=1][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"In the Latin Church the pipe organ is to be held in high esteem, for it is the traditional musical instrument which adds a wonderful splendor to the Church's ceremonies and powerfully lifts up man's mind to God and to higher things.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=1][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [b]But other instruments also may be admitted for use in divine worship, with the knowledge and consent of the competent territorial authority[/b], as laid down in Art. 22, 52, 37, and 40. This may be done, however, only on condition that the instruments are suitable, or can be made suitable, for sacred use, accord with the dignity of the temple, and truly contribute to the edification of the faithful." (VI. 120-"Sacrosanctum Concilium" Vatican II)[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]

"In the same year [1967], the U.S. Bishop's Liturgy Committee approved the use of contemporary music, as well as guitars and other suitable instruments, in the liturgy. The Holy See authorized in 1968 the use of musical instruments other than the organ, 'provided they are played in a manner suitable to worship.'" (Dr. Matthew Bunson, Catholic Almanac, 2011, pg. 187)

Vincent Vega

Other than some non-binding (and wholly unknown, at least to me) source, show me a church document that says that guitars are suitable for mass.

Vincent Vega

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Also, this is pertinent (in reference to "as laid down in..."):[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]"[i][b]D) Norms for adapting the Liturgy to the culture and traditions of peoples[/b][/i]
[color=#000000]37. Even in the liturgy, the Church has no wish to impose a rigid uniformity in matters which do not implicate the faith or the good of the whole community; rather does she respect and foster the genius and talents of the various races and peoples. Anything in these peoples' way of life which is not indissolubly bound up with superstition and error she studies with sympathy and, if possible, preserves intact. Sometimes in fact she admits such things into the liturgy itself, so long as they harmonize with its true and authentic spirit."[/color]

[color=#000000][color=#282828]For some context, so as to avoid proof-texting, the section you quoted above is immediately preceded by this:[/color][/color][/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][color=#282828]"[/color]119. In certain parts of the world, especially mission lands, there are peoples who have their own musical traditions, and these play a great part in their religious and social life. For this reason due importance is to be attached to their music, and a suitable place is to be given to it, not only in forming their attitude toward religion, but also in adapting worship to their native genius, as indicated in Art. 39 and 40.[/color]
[color=#000000]Therefore, when missionaries are being given training in music, every effort should be made to see that they become competent in promoting the traditional music of these peoples, both in schools and in sacred services, as far as may be practicable."[/color]

[color=#000000]It's clear, then, that this part of the document is not referring to mostly white Catholic parishes in suburban America, but rather to the Church in partibus infidelium, where they may already have an existing liturgical tradition that can be partially or wholly synthesized into the Latin liturgy. Unfortunately for people who wish otherwise, mostly white Catholic parishes in suburban America are neither in mission lands, nor do they have an organic sacred musical heritage outside of the Church and her chant-based musical culture.[/color]

[color=#000000]The Church making allowances for native Africans to keep some of their musical culture does not give people the right to have P&W concerts in Mass. [/color][/size][/font]

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

dells_of_bittersweet

Who says we aren't a mission land right now? America has one of the most Godless, anti-Catholic cultures even known to mankind. I think we need to take special measures to evangelize our pagan culture.

missionseeker

[quote name='dells_of_bittersweet' timestamp='1344824170' post='2466676']
Who says we aren't a mission land right now? America has one of the most Godless, anti-Catholic cultures even known to mankind. I think we need to take special measures to evangelize our pagan culture.
[/quote]

And that started happening .... oh... when people abused Vatican II and stopped using sacred music.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1344835683' post='2466755']
And that started happening .... oh... when people abused Vatican II and stopped using sacred music.
[/quote]

What, gospel music isn't sacred? Darn. And I was about to recommend the Priest add Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For in my parish! It's totally allowed since Vatican II, just like sacrilege and liturgical dancing. Well, it says that if you spead read, anyway.