An Old School Catholic Message Board

Usccb Allows Guitars At Mass

dells_of_bittersweet

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1344873941' post='2466925']
What I find surprising, given this is Phatmass...is that no one in their rush to defend sacred music has bothered to bring up yet that the USCCB has no authority as an organization. The individual Bishops have authority over their dioceses, but collectively as a group, they do not. It's an organization whose purpose is to fundraise, provide information on Catholic teaching and current events, and to bring the Bishops together to discuss issues relevant to the faith.

/at least this has always been my understanding of the USCCB
[/quote]
you beat me to it ;) :hehe:

Vincent Vega

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1344873941' post='2466925']
What I find surprising, given this is Phatmass...is that no one in their rush to defend sacred music has bothered to bring up yet that the USCCB has no authority as an organization. The individual Bishops have authority over their dioceses, but collectively as a group, they do not. It's an organization whose purpose is to fundraise, provide information on Catholic teaching and current events, and to bring the Bishops together to discuss issues relevant to the faith.

/at least this has always been my understanding of the USCCB
[/quote]
I was under the impression that KofC kind of touched on this in his first post in this thread, albeit in a much more minimalistic way.

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1344876324' post='2466958']
:popcorn: You people are ridiculous.
[/quote]

:stubborn: speak for yourself. :stubborn:

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1344875146' post='2466942']
you beat me to it ;) :hehe:
[/quote]
I guess KofC kinda beat both of us now that it's pointed out to me below lol. But usually by this point if someone invokes them, there's some sort of big post about how they're not a "governing body" so to speak...and even though the individual Bishops have authority, they can't really contradict the Church's teachings (licitly at least).

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1344875216' post='2466943']
I was under the impression that KofC kind of touched on this in his first post in this thread, albeit in a much more minimalistic way.
[/quote]

...and that's what I get for skimming. You're right!

If we get rid of guitars and piano's can we at least keep the wymyn priestesses ordination tambourines?

[url="http://wdtprs.com/blog/2011/11/fishwrap-promotes-a-sermon-by-a-wywymprystess/"]http://wdtprs.com/blog/2011/11/fishwrap-promotes-a-sermon-by-a-wywymprystess/[/url]

Edited by Slappo

Basilisa Marie

It seems to me like the whole point of allowing or not allowing certain instruments is to promote a worshipful atmosphere. Chant has pride of place, not only because of its rich history in our tradition but because you don't need special equipment and everyone can do it. It was my understanding that the pipe organ was originally prized because it sounded like chant. Instruments that imitate the human voice seem to be prized over ones that don't (organ > drumset). Furthermore, it would seem like you'd want to eliminate music that sounds more like performing than worshiping. It's totally possible for a folk choir with a guitar to be more conducive to worship than an organist that is there to show off how many ridiculously complex runs he can do, to the point where it upstages everything else that is going on during the liturgy. More often than not, though, the opposite tends to be true. I don't think the problem is with guitars, the problem is with musicians that are more concerned with performing than worship.

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1344882047' post='2467023']
If we get rid of guitars and piano's can we at least keep the wymyn priestesses ordination tambourines?
[/quote]

This sounds like a fair and equitable trade.

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1344835970' post='2466761']
GET RID[s]E[/s] OF PIANOS. NOW! Guitars and all the like. NOW!
[/quote]

While we are at it, get rid of really loud old ladies that think they can sing but can't. Talk about a cacophony of voices....

Get rid of music altogether too ... let's all just be silent throughout the Mass. No responses. That way, those that want to sleep can sleep quite peacefully. We really shouldn't disturb their beauty rest.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1344873892' post='2466924']
Great opportunity to learn chant.
[/quote]

Nope ... hate it, especially in Latin.

But that's great that there are those who love it. I personally don't. And there's a place for both chant and non-chant music in the Church. Beautiful!

Continue on :popcorn2:

Edited by cmariadiaz

Vincent Vega

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1344898271' post='2467162']
Nope ... hate it, especially in Latin.
[/quote]
That's the funny thing about Mass, we have to leave some of our own preferences at the door.

I put ride. Darn auto-correct. It isn't my call. If it was, I would keep piano in. I think they are sort of ok. But this is what the church has taught. Not me. So I stick to her guns. Not mine. Same with (non-electric) guitars. I love chant and other reverent and good liturgical music, but that isn't why I want it in the liturgy. I want it because the Church has said she wants it. If the Church said no chant, ok! No chant. But that's not what she has said.

I certainly think in terms of what is commonly seen at mass across USA that piano's are the "lesser of evils". I'd much rather a piano than an electric guitar, but I'd much rather acapella than a piano.

Edited by Slappo