An Old School Catholic Message Board

Usccb Allows Guitars At Mass

dells_of_bittersweet

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1344926812' post='2467413']
I'm saying that there were no specific guidelines until the church said it was ok. There were people who said it shouldn't be used - including saints. But the church decided otherwise. I'm not saying it was ok or not ok, I'm just pointing it out.

As for documents are you referring to then or now?
[/quote]

I'm referring to any binding church document that universally states specifically the guitar is not usable

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1344927357' post='2467419']

Bahaha. I can't believe you even remember the one time I said I would start explaining what tones my voice are when I post. Or is that what you are referring to?

And I actually fixed that typo before you got it, thank you. I could have been mean and pointed out a typo you made in this thread, but I chose not to because I'm nice. :hehe:
[/quote]

No, I was talking about the Salve. Solemn tone is astounding. As is simplex, but solemn is insane.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1344927475' post='2467420']
The first one was quite beautiful. The second one didn't phase me at all. To give you a look into my liberal diocese, that's what all of the pianos/organs sound like here.
[/quote]

you didn't answer the question. Which one was liturgically appropriate for mass?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1344927588' post='2467422']
No, I was talking about the Salve. Solemn tone is astounding. As is simplex, but solemn is insane.
[/quote]

I have no clue what you mean. Are you referring to this sort of thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5p_U8J0iRQ

If not, you have to remember I barely get by musically. I don't see the importance of learning all there is to know about music when that is not the field I plan to go into. I know the differences between tenors, baritones, falsettos and sopranos (And the other one whose name escapes me), but that's about it. When I played guitar I got really good, but I never learned how to read notes ever. I didn't even learn the names of the chords. I just remembered how you did them and went by, and that was with planning on being a guitarist for a living. Thank goodness this whole Priesthood thing happened because I can't imagine my career would have went far.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1344927864' post='2467425']

I have no clue what you mean. Are you referring to this sort of thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5p_U8J0iRQ

If not, you have to remember I barely get by musically. I don't see the importance of learning all there is to know about music when that is not the field I plan to go into. I know the differences between tenors, baritones, falsettos and sopranos (And the other one whose name escapes me), but that's about it. When I played guitar I got really good, but I never learned how to read notes ever. I didn't even learn the names of the chords. I just remembered how you did them and went by, and that was with planning on being a guitarist for a living. Thank goodness this whole Priesthood thing happened because I can't imagine my career would have went far.
[/quote]

That's the spot!! This is my jam.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1344927796' post='2467423']
you didn't answer the question. Which one was liturgically appropriate for mass?
[/quote]

For me, both. The organ sounds like the Mass I have gone to my entire life. As I said, I do not believe guitars are that big of a deal. I'm still not sure if they are allowed or not, but if they are then it is okay. Classical guitarists like the guy you showed are perfectly acceptable, but guitarists like myself should only be there as the Priest or as a Catholic going to weekly Mass. And when I see guitarists at Mass, I see guitarists like myself, which is not good.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1344928022' post='2467427']
For me, both. The organ sounds like the Mass I have gone to my entire life. As I said, I do not believe guitars are that big of a deal. I'm still not sure if they are allowed or not, but if they are then it is okay. Classical guitarists like the guy you showed are perfectly acceptable, but guitarists like myself should only be there as the Priest or as a Catholic going to weekly Mass. And when I see guitarists at Mass, I see guitarists like myself, which is not good.
[/quote]

It's a trick question. Neither is liturgically appropriate

PhuturePriest

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1344928092' post='2467428']
It's a trick question. Neither is liturgically appropriate
[/quote]

I was thinking more of the sound rather than the actual song itself. I knew the Salve Regina was not allowed in the liturgy.

Dang it Jaimie. I was about to answer. Meanie face....

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1344928132' post='2467429']

I was thinking more of the sound rather than the actual song itself. I knew the Salve Regina was not allowed in the liturgy.
[/quote]

Salve regina is allowed. It is ENCOURAGED.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1344928174' post='2467430']
Dang it Jaimie. I was about to answer. Meanie face....

Salve regina is allowed. It is ENCOURAGED.
[/quote]

Oh really? That's razzle dazzle.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1344918439' post='2467347']

Where did he call anyone any names? I must have missed that part. Unless you take offense to the term "people." And KoC, I find it pretty funny that you're here calling someone out for insulting those that don't share their view. Something about pots and kettles comes to mind.
[/quote]

"Some of you have your noses so high in the air, you're going to need a chiropractor." And "supremely narrow minded" are not name calling to you? Ok

I see nothing funny with the falsehood you apply to me. I avoid at all cost to insult people personally, I have at times failed at that but not to the degree to which it seems you accuse. I have always made it a habit to focus upon the topic and not a person's character. Your accusation is based on falsehoods. If I attack anything it is the arguments of others though they may take that personally, that is not attacking their character which actually would be attacking them personally.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1344920288' post='2467357']

The organ wasn't given pride of place until after it had been used in Mass for 300 years. The guitar has been used for 40. Give me another 260 years and let's talk
[/quote]

In the first 40 years of the introduction of the organ was it used as a instrument of wide spread liturgical abuse as the guitar has these last 40 years? I doubt the same is true for the organ. If the guitar was a modern invention it would make more since why its use only began in the last 40 years. But that is not the case it is as old if not older than the organ. Given its old age the lack of it adoption for nearly 2,000 years and its introduction along side and in many a big part of the heyday of the liturgical abuse movement is most interesting.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1344917325' post='2467334']
Chant is technically an option. There are many people who know it who in fact teach it. It would simply have to be more enforced. I'm not recommending this as a means to preach the word of chant in the musical world, I'm simply saying there are many who in fact know chant. There are many Monks and traditional Communities who would love to chant about how wrong you are.
[/quote]

you are so cute and naiive! :bighug: for some reason you think the world is flowing with religious just itching to teach a 6000 family parish who cannot even afford to pay someone to play the organ that as a result sits unused, gregorian chant.

bucko...we have 2 major religious communities here. one is a cloistered carmelite monastery. i guess everyone could crowd around the bars to take remote lessons. the other is the franciscan friars of the renewal. oh wait...they not only play guitar, they rap! egadness.

reality suxors, huh?

i LOVE chant. i LOVE the organ. but it is not always possible man.

(BTW...monks are cloistered too. the correct term is friars)

Edited by Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer

http://youtu.be/JrF1ylQQZyc

not appropriate for Mass, but the song itself it. odd how context makes such a diff.

BTW FP...in some countries drums and tambourines are perfectly acceptable for Mass.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1344936480' post='2467454']

you are so cute and naiive! :bighug: for some reason you think the world is flowing with religious just itching to teach a 6000 family parish who cannot even afford to pay someone to play the organ that as a result sits unused, gregorian chant.

bucko...we have 2 major religious communities here. one is a cloistered carmelite monastery. i guess everyone could crowd around the bars to take remote lessons. the other is the franciscan friars of the renewal. oh wait...they not only play guitar, they rap! egadness.

reality suxors, huh?

i LOVE chant. i LOVE the organ. but it is not always possible man.

(BTW...monks are cloistered too. the correct term is friars)
[/quote]

Can't win don't try? Ever try to contact the monastery and ask if they know of anyone that can teach your parish chant at a affordable price? Or one of the traditional communities that love to do this type of thing? Has that or anything like that been attempted?