An Old School Catholic Message Board

Don't Vote For Romney

Aloysius

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351557628' post='2500063']
I think y'all are being too hard on Freedom. It's hard to argue with Catholic liberals, and I sympathize with her for putting up with you guys trying to bully her.
[/quote]
I haven't backed out of these discussions yet and I have argued with you in most ways. ;) I don't want to sink to the level of [i]ad hominem[/i]s in defending a vote for Romney.

I am ashamed to say, after all my years of debating on the internet, I still don't know what ad hominem means. I just figured out what a straw man was a few months ago.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351559708' post='2500093']
I am ashamed to say, after all my years of debating on the internet, I still don't know what ad hominem means. I just figured out what a straw man was a few months ago.
[/quote]
It means attack the argument, not the person making the argument. :)

"Democrooks are stupid" is bad.
"Democrats believe that abortion should be legal. Legalized abortion is evil" is not.

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1351551792' post='2499992']
I have agreed in very broad principle with you on this matter, but let me say now that you are not in a position to be criticizing anyone's IQ, based especially on your present arguments. Your general in-your-face style may not be new to these pages, but if you're going to lambast people without backing up your argument and resort to this sort of low, ad-hominem attack, then I question your true understanding of the problems here discussed. I won't normally step in for this sort of reply, but I think this latest comment goes too far.
[/quote]
Just looks like standard phatmasser behavior to me.

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1351560918' post='2500101']
Just looks like standard phatmasser behavior to me.
[/quote]
Oops! I edited the post above before posting. Never mind.

It has become very easy on here recently to ridicule people for their political points of view, and it has been increasingly common to use straw man attacks in order to make a specious point about policies and Catholic teachings. I agree with you there.

Edited by qfnol31

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1351559918' post='2500095']
It means attack the argument, not the person making the argument. :)

[/quote]
Oh. But when I made the ad hominem I actually was attacking people because I thought they were being mean to Freedom. So, is it possible to have an on purpose ad hominem? At that point I was done arguing anything.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351561995' post='2500112']
Oh. But when I made the ad hominem I actually was attacking people because I thought they were being mean to Freedom. So, is it possible to have an on purpose ad hominem? At that point I was done arguing anything.
[/quote]
I meant the [i]ad hominem[/i] comment in reference to Freedom's IQ comment.

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1351564494' post='2500135']
I meant the [i]ad hominem[/i] comment in reference to Freedom's IQ comment.
[/quote]
Oh. See? Everybody is picking on Freedom again.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351575204' post='2500203']
The last few pages of this thread make me want to give up on life.
[/quote]
Don't do that, you are so young, despite your new avatar making you look considerably older than your last one.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351575377' post='2500204']
Don't do that, you are so young, despite your new avatar making you look considerably older than your last one.
[/quote]

It's hard to discern if you are joking, or are in fact serious that this picture makes me look older.

[quote name='Freedom' timestamp='1351549108' post='2499959']
Just listen to you, how nice you are, how kind. I bet you earned the prize of tolerance and patience. Your answer clearly shows that.
[/quote]
66 out of your 140 most recent posts have included a personal attack of some kind. Something about a log in one's glass eye house.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1351576243' post='2500212']
66 out of your 140 most recent posts have included a personal attack of some kind. Something about a log in one's glass eye house.
[/quote]

You combed through his/her 140 most recent posts to figure that out? :smile3:

I admire your dedication to the subtle art of counter-trolling.

After reading/skimming this thread it makes me think of how satan spreads doubt and confusion among people. Romney is not ideal but his stances on abortion are an improvement over President Obama’s. I'll take the possible pro-life improvements with a Romney administration over the definite pro-choice agenda of President Obama.