An Old School Catholic Message Board

Don't Vote For Romney

Aloysius

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1351557648' post='2500064']
Whatever you think of her opinions, Freedom's certainly no more of a jackass on here than Kujo, Hasan, MIKolbe, and probably any number of others I forgot to name. (in fact, her jackassery is far milder.)

Or is jackassery only tolerated on here if it comes from the left?

Seriously, pholks. . . .
[/quote]

Awww....you remembered me! And you placed me first in quite the illustrious group. Looks like I've made an impression! :)

Socrates 2012, for making my morning :)

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1351607029' post='2500298']
Let Freedom ring!
[/quote]

Sorry Socrates left you out of his list of Jackasses, bro. I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

ahhh... dUSt doesn't get what "ad hominem" means, which explains why he thinks we've been "picking on Freedom" despite consistently addressing Freedom's argument.

it's the debate table, a whole bunch of people have had it up to here with the idea of conflating Catholicism with "voting Republican" and we've took a stand here. I sympathize with the fact that it is difficult to take an unpopular position on a message board, and Freedom was taking an unpopular position on this thread, but that doesn't mean we were picking on Freedom or bullying or anything like that, because our arguments were [i]ad argumentum[/i] not [i]ad hominem[/i] (at least mostly, I can't speak for the entire duration of the thread I'm sure some ad hominem reasoning was flung from either side on occasion... it is [i]politics[/i], after all ;) ) it is certainly hard and frustrating when you're in an online debate in which you're clearly out-numbered, but that shouldn't excuse ad hominem reasoning and it shouldn't excuse simply coming in and saying the same one liner again and again; doesn't really matter if that's typical phatmasser behavior, it's still annoying and pushy... this thread has run its course, all arguments have been made, I'm willing to continue addressing posts of substance but continued one-liners lobbed that just indicate someone who cannot handle the fact that others disagree with them, that's just not helpful or substantial. dUSt's and qfnol's arguments were largely helpful, Freedom's were mostly unhelpful but some of them were useful (like the OP in "Obama or Romney: Which one Reflects Your Values", that was actually a useful and well-made post that contributed to the argument, even though I disagree with it).

Oh, and if Freedom gets a Church Militant tag based on helpful defense of the Romney Campaign, I'm not sure I want to live on the planet that hosts this website anymore. That's not to say I couldn't see Freedom ending up with one after staying around for a while, no reason to think he's not a sincere Catholic, but the Romney Campaign is NOT the Catholic Faith. seriously.

Edited by Aloysius

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1351607187' post='2500300']
ahhh... dUSt doesn't get what "ad hominem" means, which explains why he thinks we've been "picking on Freedom" despite consistently addressing Freedom's argument.

it's the debate table, a whole bunch of people have had it up to here with the idea of conflating Catholicism with "voting Republican" and we've took a stand here. I sympathize with the fact that it is difficult to take an unpopular position on a message board, and Freedom was taking an unpopular position on this thread, but that doesn't mean we were picking on Freedom or bullying or anything like that, because our arguments were [i]ad argumentum[/i] not [i]ad hominem[/i] (at least mostly, I can't speak for the entire duration of the thread I'm sure some ad hominem reasoning was flung from either side on occasion... it is [i]politics[/i], after all ;) ) it is certainly hard and frustrating when you're in an online debate in which you're clearly out-numbered, but that shouldn't excuse ad hominem reasoning and it shouldn't excuse simply coming in and saying the same one liner again and again; doesn't really matter if that's typical phatmasser behavior, it's still annoying and pushy... [b]this thread has run its course, all arguments have been made[/b], I'm willing to continue addressing posts of substance but continued one-liners lobbed that just indicate someone who cannot handle the fact that others disagree with them, that's just not helpful or substantial. dUSt's and qfnol's arguments were largely helpful, Freedom's were mostly unhelpful but some of them were useful (like the OP in "Obama or Romney: Which one Reflects Your Values", that was actually a useful and well-made post that contributed to the argument, even though I disagree with it).

Oh, and if Freedom gets a Church Militant tag based on helpful defense of the Romney Campaign, I'm not sure I want to live on the planet that hosts this website anymore. That's not to say I couldn't see Freedom ending up with one after staying around for a while, no reason to think he's not a sincere Catholic, but the Romney Campaign is NOT the Catholic Faith. seriously.
[/quote]

agreed. thanks for a great summation of the thread, Al :)

I don't think it's fair that this thread was closed without Freedom having the last word. So here:

[i]"[color=#282828][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]I understand you are having a problem with that. The truth is often hard to digest because if this was not the truth, you would have been over it by now."[/font][/color][/i]