An Old School Catholic Message Board

Voting For Anyone Other Than Romney Is Pro-obama

dUSt

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1351882040' post='2503049']
If all Catholic voters voted for Romney, Romney would have a lot of Catholic votes. But we can't single-handedly win him the Presidency. That's a good thing, I think; something close, I would imagine, to what the Founding Fathers actually imagined.
[/quote]According to the PEW Foundation, 27% of the 131 million voters in 2008 identify as Catholic. That's 35,000,000 votes. 54% voted for Obama, 45% for McCain. Let's say it's 50/50 this election. Do you think Obama would win if he did not get 17,000,000 votes, even if it's diluted in the non-swing States?

What if half of the Catholic voters who voted for Obama in 2008 (8,000,000) decided to actually vote for Romney. That's only a quarter of the Catholic vote. I think that's a huge swing.

Looking at the bigger picture and the idea of a Third Party, what if half of the Catholic voters actuall were vocal and identified that Abortion was a Major Issue on who got their vote? 17,000,000 vocal people who actually grouped together. Do you think it would get politicians' attention?

Edited by Anomaly

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1351883124' post='2503065']
What if half of the Catholic voters who voted for Obama in 2008 (8,000,000) decided to actually vote for Romney. That's only a quarter of the Catholic vote. I think that's a huge swing.
[/quote]
This will never happen when very devout, orthodox and faithful Catholics spend 90% of their time telling us why not to vote for Romney, instead of telling us why not to vote for Obama.

Here's another gem of a thought because Al has made an impact on my thinking about political stategy.

What if half of the Catholic voters who voted for Obama in 2008 (8,000,000), decided to consider either option A: not vote for Obama and vote 3rd party or B: abstain? Let's say half of that group that have decided to NOT for for Obama, have realized that Catholics should not support a political agenda that wants to promote free abortion and is ideologically opposed to Government restriction. In order to help negate the misguided Catholics who don't consider the Obama/Democrat policy of promoting and protecting free and unrestricted abortion, they decide to vote for Romney?

4,000,000 Cathoic votes cast to elect Romney as a protest and message against the Democrat Government policy of free and unrestricted abortion.

Would the Republican stand up and notice this vocal populace? Would the Democrats stand up and notice this vocal populace. As it is now, Catholics evenly divided between Dems and Reps, they nullify their voice because they don't speak in unison, drowning each other out, their voice is an inconsequential whisper in the public arena. It's just about as loud as a 6 week old in-womb person saying "Please, give me a chance. I'm sorry to be a burden on you, Mom, but I had no control over my situation."

Edited by Anomaly

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1351829698' post='2502685']
[mod]Personal attack --franciscanheart[/mod]
[/quote]

[mod]Public criticism of a mod. - dUSt[/mod]

It's also chicken [mod]MIKolbe - Language[/mod]

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1351878397' post='2503012']

2) It takes a really long time to get accepted and even just listened to around here, unless a regular can support you.
3) It definitely seems like if you've been here a long time, you can get away with a lot of meanness, because you know exactly where the line is. It's really hard to tell where that line is if you haven't been here a while. I've been around about a year and a half, and I'm still not entirely sure sometimes.

And now for some more levity, I give you Catholic Wonka.

[img]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/21891216.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

It's been like 5 years and I still sometimes wonder where the meanness line is. I know I've gotten away with stuff before I thought was in poor taste, but it's not something I try to push intentionally.

Also: LLAMA!!! Thank you for including the llamas.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1351889877' post='2503092']

It's been like 5 years and I still sometimes wonder where the meanness line is. I know I've gotten away with stuff before I thought was in poor taste, but it's not something I try to push intentionally.

Also: LLAMA!!! Thank you for including the llamas.
[/quote]
Where are the tacos?

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1351890354' post='2503095']
Where are the tacos?
[/quote]

In BM's defense, we have been low on our quota of taco talk lately, most likely due to the proliferation of election threads.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1351891255' post='2503102']

In BM's defense, we have been low on our quota of taco talk lately, most likely due to the proliferation of election threads.
[/quote]
No, the lack of taco talk started with the pony and llama uprising....

I'm only responsible for one of those. :P It's not my fault that Phatmass enjoys quadrupeds in general over the most delicious food known to [s]everypony [/s]mankind.

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1351889383' post='2503090']
[mod]Public criticism of mod. - dUSt[/mod]

It's also chicken [mod]MIKolbe - Language[/mod]
[/quote]

[mod]Public criticism of a moderator --franciscanheart[/mod]

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351879924' post='2503031']
:x

I may have to take a vacation until the new corporatist clown is chosen.
[/quote]
Agreed.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351883270' post='2503068']
This will never happen when very devout, orthodox and faithful Catholics spend 90% of their time telling us why not to vote for Romney, instead of telling us why not to vote for Obama.
[/quote]

More like 90% of Phatmass is talking about why not to vote for Romney instead of telling us why not to vote for Obama. Your average Phatmasser is not your typical Catholic who is improperly catechized. The majority already know why not to vote for Obama since they are already past needing to be catechized on that issue as well as others, so they see no need to talk about why not to vote for Obama.

That isn't to say that others on here may not want to talk about how other less informed Catholics are all for Obama or if someone who is not properly catechized wishes to understand why Obama shouldn't be elected can't talk here.