An Old School Catholic Message Board

What On Earth Is Happening To Me?

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

It's like this insane transformation is happening to me. First I'm pursuing a relationship with a girl which if you told me I would do that a week ago I would call you insane, but now I'm really considering college. I always thought college was a waste of time, but now I think it might be a good time to learn psychology and grow. The only college I would really think about is Benedictine, which I know is academically challenging, but they have a great psychology course there, and some of the classes include my absolute favorites which are the psychology of the genders, emotions, and the theories of personalities. I'm actually [i]excited [/i]at the thought studying these things. Can someone please tell me what's going on with me? The only thing that worries me about psychology is I may have to do six years of college, depending on what I want to do with it. I would rather be a counselor than anything else, but I don't know much about the fields of counseling and if it takes only four years or not. My sister says counseling itself takes four years, but to technically be a psychologist you need six years. I'm not sure what the differences are other than a bigger paycheck, to be honest.

Edited by FuturePriest387

Spem in alium

It seems to me that only God can really know what's happening and what's in store for you. Follow Him!
You'll be in my prayers.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I am with you. Like seriously, same issue. Happened a little while before you, though. :) Trust God.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with pursuing a college career. It helps you grow as a person and helps you in so many other ways. Before I really committed to college, I had no idea who I was. Now that I am an AA graduate and I am pursuing my Associate in Science in Medical Office Administration, I have a handle on life. It gives you a sense of accomplishment. I really think that people should experience at least a year of college if nothing else. It doesn't matter what stage of life you are in or what vocation you are called to, everyone needs to have a goal. :)

Mary+Immaculate<3

Miles, God could be putting these questions in your heart to ask you, "will you really do ANYTHING that I ask of you?" Of course becoming a priest, a vocation to marriage, or even single life are all sacred and God knows what suits you best, but let me tell you, I went through something similar. I thought I was called to Salesians, Franciscans, Dominicans, Little Sisters of the Poor, Missionaries of Charity, you name it, and when I was having my Confirmation I really felt attracted to one of my guy friends whom I have known and had previous attractions before. I honestly pictured myself marrying him n(ot literally, I didn't "imagine myself" marrying him), but I really seriously thought that could be my calling. I don't know what is in store for you, I might think I do, but I will not say. Devote your vocation to a particular saint, put your trust in them. This saint could be St. John Vianney, Augustine, Aquinas, John Berchmans (patron of alter servers), Dominic Savio, John Bosco, Francis de Sales, Francis of Assisi, Teresa of Avila, Thérèse of Lisieux, Teresa Benedicta (Edith Stein is her common name), Catherine of Siena, Gemma Galgani, Maria Goretti, Philomena, Lucy, Dominic, Benedict, Francis Xavier, Ignatius of Lloyola, Faustina, Louis De Montfort, Bl. John Paul II, Miguel Pro, Rose, Rita, Anthony, Jude, Paul, Peter, John the Evangelist, Monica, Barbara, Clare Helena, Mary Magdelene, Christopher, Simon Stock, John of the Cross, Padre Pio, Ven. Solanus Casey, Bl. Teresa of Calcutta Veronica, and last but certainly not least, the Blessed Virgin the list could go on for ages. Just find a saint who you can relate to and ask them to pray for your vocation and to let God help you through their intercession. Pray daily for guidance, and try to make it to Confession and Adoration (with my own crazy sched I know that this can be a hard this to pull off). Continue to go to your spiritual director, and be honest with him, he has probably experienced things similar or known people who have, and will know how to counsel you. Trust me, if you were to see the posts I did on a different forum before I started using PM, it would remind you of how you laugh/cry at the posts you put up on here. We all go through a process, it isn't easy, and it certainly is not without a lot of confusion and mixed feelings.
May the Sacred Heart of Jesus guide and protect you, brother. Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam.
In Christ,
Mary

HisChildForever

If you want to be a psychologist you need your doctorate. That's more than six years of work. Some doctorate programs in psychology are six years.

My family is friends with an extremely good psychology professor. :)

http://psychology.ucalgary.ca/profiles/candace-konnert

PhuturePriest

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1352265127' post='2505498']
If you want to be a psychologist you need your doctorate. That's more than six years of work. Some doctorate programs in psychology are six years.
[/quote]

Well, I don't know what the difference is between psychologist and counselor. I want to do counseling above all else.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352266372' post='2505512']
Well, I don't know what the difference is between psychologist and counselor. I want to do counseling above all else.
[/quote]

That would entail a Masters' degree in Social Work or Counseling (or in a similar subject). ;)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

St Paul says in the first reading for Wednesday: "For God is the one who, for his good purpose and plans, works in you and through you. Do everything he asks you to do, without grumbling or questioning." When our friendship with Jesus is truly our highest priority – not just when it's convenient or feels good, but all the time – our trust in him is perfected and we follow him wherever he goes, without questioning his purposes or complaining about his plans.

Here is the BLS handbook entry on Mental Health Counselors and Marriage/Family Therapists:

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/mental-health-counselors-and-marriage-and-family-therapists.htm

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1352267731' post='2505531']
Here is the BLS handbook entry on Mental Health Counselors and Marriage/Family Therapists:

[url="http://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/mental-health-counselors-and-marriage-and-family-therapists.htm"]http://www.bls.gov/o...-therapists.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Eck. I can almost smell the financial ruin eight years would put me in...

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352269480' post='2505560']

Eck. I can almost smell the financial ruin eight years would put me in...
[/quote]

Not necessarily. You can always apply for scholarships or Pell Grants. I have a Pell Grant and have not paid a dime for my Associate degree that I am currently studying for. ;)