An Old School Catholic Message Board

What On Earth Is Happening To Me?

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1352269603' post='2505562']
Not necessarily. You can always apply for scholarships or Pell Grants. I have a Pell Grant and have not paid a dime for my Associate degree that I am currently studying for. ;)
[/quote]

Yes, but due to economical issues Pell Grants will not always exist. By the time I'm old enough for college who knows if Pell Grants will still exist as we know them? I wouldn't mind if we were in a good economy or if it was at least recovering, but we're not. If I feel God is leading me this way than I will go, but these are still factors to consider. My father can't take on one penny more of debt, and college these days equals debt. The only asset of being a marriage counselor would be that it pays a decent wage. Plus, if I get a master's degree I'll be twenty six, and I don't want to wait that long to get married if I am called to it.

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352270159' post='2505567']
Yes, but due to economical issues Pell Grants will not always exist. By the time I'm old enough for college who knows if Pell Grants will still exist as we know them? I wouldn't mind if we were in a good economy or if it was at least recovering, but we're not. If I feel God is leading me this way than I will go, but these are still factors to consider. My father can't take on one penny more of debt, and college these days equals debt. The only asset of being a marriage counselor would be that it pays a decent wage. Plus, if I get a master's degree I'll be twenty six, and I don't want to wait that long to get married if I am called to it.
[/quote]

Aren't you studying for your GED? I doubt Pell Grants will be gone in a year. Besides, they were only reduced as to how many terms they would pay out, not gone altogether. ;)

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1352270674' post='2505574']
Aren't you studying for your GED? I doubt Pell Grants will be gone in a year. Besides, they were only reduced as to how many terms they would pay out, not gone altogether. ;)
[/quote]

Well, I technically am. But Benedictine doesn't require a GED because it is home school friendly. I just have to score an average on the SAT's and they will accept me. That's yet another thing I have to think about.

Edited by FuturePriest387

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352270834' post='2505575']
Well, I technically am. But Benedictine doesn't require a GED because it is home school friendly. I just have to score an average on the SAT's and they will accept me. That's yet another thing I have to think about.
[/quote]

If you're going to take the SAT, I would strongly recommend getting good test prep for it and taking it multiple times. Yeah I know it smells of elderberries, but scores can drastically improve with even taking it twice.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1352271317' post='2505582']

If you're going to take the SAT, I would strongly recommend getting good test prep for it and taking it multiple times. Yeah I know it smells of elderberries, but scores can drastically improve with even taking it twice.
[/quote]

My sister told me with confidence that I could take it tomorrow and pass. I'm still going to study of course, but I'm happy about that. She did it twice, and she actually got a worse score the second time (Which was still a good score since her first one was amazingly high). She said that actually on average when you do it a second time it is almost always worse than the first score.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352271454' post='2505586']

My sister told me with confidence that I could take it tomorrow and pass. I'm still going to study of course, but I'm happy about that. She did it twice, and she actually got a worse score the second time (Which was still a good score since her first one was amazingly high). She said that actually on average when you do it a second time it is almost always worse than the first score.
[/quote]

That's what happened with my sister and she was admitted to a very competitive state university. ;)

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352271454' post='2505586']

[/quote]

Some people test differently than others,and yes it does happen sometimes that people do worse the second time than the first. For me it was the opposite, but it's different for everybody. I wouldn't completely rule it out though. Usually colleges look at specifically the highest score, or super score.

But anywho here's a little background info about the test. (I don't know if you want it, but it might be useful later on if you do decide to take the test)

The SAT is a test designed based on reason, not knowledge. It's easy questions, but worded and designed to make it seem harder when it's not. Those "tricks" are hard to identify if you don't know what you're looking for, such as vocabulary (Big words that most of us haven't seen in our lives), reading skills, error identification based on grammar techniques, etc. The math portion is basically consisted of geometry, algebra I and II, some statistics and probability. Critical reading is a lot of fill in the blank vocabulary and reading passage analysis. Writing is a written essay and error identification. Yes, we have all done this before at some point in life. But the SAT is different in the fact that it's a REASONING test and that it's timed.

There are 10 sections. 7 of them being 25 minutes, 2 of them are twenty minutes, and the last one 10 minutes. The essay is always the first section. Everything else is mixed up. The last three are always the two twenty minute sections and the last is the 10 minute. There are timing techniques and certain techniques for each portion that one must practice to make it their own and for it to work.

I know there is more, but I can't think of it at the moment cause I'm tired.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1352273187' post='2505607']

Some people test differently than others,and yes it does happen sometimes that people do worse the second time than the first. For me it was the opposite, but it's different for everybody. I wouldn't completely rule it out though. Usually colleges look at specifically the highest score, or super score.

But anywho here's a little background info about the test. (I don't know if you want it, but it might be useful later on if you do decide to take the test)

The SAT is a test designed based on reason, not knowledge. It's easy questions, but worded and designed to make it seem harder when it's not. Those "tricks" are hard to identify if you don't know what you're looking for, such as vocabulary (Big words that most of us haven't seen in our lives), reading skills, error identification based on grammar techniques, etc. The math portion is basically consisted of geometry, algebra I and II, some statistics and probability. Critical reading is a lot of fill in the blank vocabulary and reading passage analysis. Writing is a written essay and error identification. Yes, we have all done this before at some point in life. But the SAT is different in the fact that it's a REASONING test and that it's timed.

There are 10 sections. 7 of them being 25 minutes, 2 of them are twenty minutes, and the last one 10 minutes. The essay is always the first section. Everything else is mixed up. The last three are always the two twenty minute sections and the last is the 10 minute. There are timing techniques and certain techniques for each portion that one must practice to make it their own and for it to work.

I know there is more, but I can't think of it at the moment cause I'm tired.
[/quote]

From what I understand I should learn new words and practice my handwriting. My handwriting is really slow and that does not bode well for me in a timed essay.

Basilisa Marie

When did your sister take the SAT? I don't know how old she is, but the test changed around 2007.

Learn to write fast, but legibly. You need to be able to write in cursive to sign the confidentiality and integrity statement at the beginning.

GET A STUDY BOOK. Kaplan or Princeton Review were good for me. This is the best thing you can do for your score, aside from paying through the nose for a test prep course. Study books will help you get used to the language of the test, it's formatting, and help you learn the tricks to figure out the right answers. Take practice tests, under the same testing conditions, so you can get a feel for it. Actually, I'd recommend starting with taking a full-on practice test (if you can) before you begin your study regimen, so you have an idea what your weaknesses are (writing fast, reading slowly, lack of endurance for the few hours the test takes, math, vocab, whatever).

Make sure you have the time to take the test multiple times, even if you end up doing super well the first time you take it.

Also: You don't have to wait until you're done with school to get married, don't write off your financial aid options until you get your FAFSA back, and a little bit of debt for a bachelor's degree is NOT a bad thing. :) There's middle ground between going hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for a BA in art history and not paying a dime for school.

Nola Seminarian

OOO. OOOOO. OOOOOOOOOOOOO. PICK ME PICK ME!!!!!!

but seriously, you are a teenager, that is what is happining to you. dont think that youre going to figure it all out now. if indeed God is calling you to celibacy, that does not mean that you are not supposed to beattracted to girls. you are a male, and that means you are called, wait for it, to be married. that is the natural vocation for men. the pope was and is called to be married to a woman because that is the natural vocation. Now god does call men toa supernatural vocation and that is what we call celibacy. this supernatural vocation goes on top of the natural one, it does not take it away. you and i and all other dudesin the world and on this site are called tohave a lovely wife and 20 beautiful little super catholic amesome BA kids (ok probabaly not 20 but you get my point) God may be calling you to lay that down for him, but it is ultimatly your choice. it is not necessarily sin to choose otherwise. to feel like you want to date some girl is natural and good and might even be holy. dont think something is wrong with you, sed contra something is very right with you brother. it just means that you need to do more discernment, pray more rosaries, make moreholy hours, and participate in more Masses all asking God the one question "am i called to celibacy or not"

have fun because i am. Seminary is a hootin hell of a good time because i am attempting to figure out what God's will is. but non seminarian life can be a hootin hell of a good time too because you can discern outside of seminary too. Just remember to pray without ceasing.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1352305242' post='2505775']
When did your sister take the SAT? I don't know how old she is, but the test changed around 2007.

Learn to write fast, but legibly. You need to be able to write in cursive to sign the confidentiality and integrity statement at the beginning.

GET A STUDY BOOK. Kaplan or Princeton Review were good for me. This is the best thing you can do for your score, aside from paying through the nose for a test prep course. Study books will help you get used to the language of the test, it's formatting, and help you learn the tricks to figure out the right answers. Take practice tests, under the same testing conditions, so you can get a feel for it. Actually, I'd recommend starting with taking a full-on practice test (if you can) before you begin your study regimen, so you have an idea what your weaknesses are (writing fast, reading slowly, lack of endurance for the few hours the test takes, math, vocab, whatever).

Make sure you have the time to take the test multiple times, even if you end up doing super well the first time you take it.

Also: You don't have to wait until you're done with school to get married, don't write off your financial aid options until you get your FAFSA back, and a little bit of debt for a bachelor's degree is NOT a bad thing. :) There's middle ground between going hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for a BA in art history and not paying a dime for school.
[/quote]

She took it in 2008, I believe. And thank you for all of the advice.

PhuturePriest

I have newly found hope! I looked it up and found out a master's degree was six years. I was under the impression it was eight or more. I'm feeling so much better about a degree in psychology now.

If you are especially excellent at the subject, you might be able to do a master's and phd simultaneously. :hehe: My friend's brother is doing that in a different subject.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352347569' post='2506385']
If you are especially excellent at the subject, you might be able to do a master's and phd simultaneously. :hehe: My friend's brother is doing that in a different subject.
[/quote]

I've never fully understood what a PhD is, but I can imagine I probably can't do a master's degree and a PhD at the same time.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352354733' post='2506434']
I've never fully understood what a PhD is, but I can imagine I probably can't do a master's degree and a PhD at the same time.
[/quote]
PhD is a doctorate. Generally speaking the program will require that you write and successfully defend a dissertation, which represents original research on your part, and which should be of a professional calibre.
So if I am not mistaken, my friend's brother did a master's degree and PhD in engineering simultaneously, and he somehow combined it with Greek and Roman studies and archaeology by studying a "the thermal environment inside Roman bath houses" in extreme detail. :hehe:

Edited by Nihil Obstat