An Old School Catholic Message Board

What On Earth Is Happening To Me?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352347398' post='2506384']
I have newly found hope! I looked it up and found out a master's degree was six years. I was under the impression it was eight or more. I'm feeling so much better about a degree in psychology now.
[/quote]A masters degree is typically 2 years of study after a 4-year bachelors. some people work on the Masters degree as they're finishing up their bachelors.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1352405223' post='2506627']
A masters degree is typically 2 years of study after a 4-year bachelors. some people work on the Masters degree as they're finishing up their bachelors.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know. But I got the impression a master's degree took four years to get after getting a bachelor's degree, which is false.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352406139' post='2506636']

Yeah, I know. But I got the impression a master's degree took four years to get after getting a bachelor's degree, which is false.
[/quote]Well for some people it really does take four years.

ChristinaTherese

I thought the SAT was really easy, myself. It just requires that you have good reasoning skills, so you should basically study well and know how to think. Other than generally paying attention to your school work and taking a practice test before the real thing, though, I wouldn't worry about it. If you take the practice test and do badly, then worry about test prep stuff. As was stated above, Kaplan has really good stuff.

The one thing I might watch out for is math. If you don't know the stuff there, you're not in a good position. Also, you should be able to write decently. The essay might be worth doing a few trial runs for. But, in general you should be able to do well on the test without taking test prep classes. The test is supposed to test things you [i]should[/i] know, not esoteric things that you wouldn't ever know.

The one thing I found annoying was having to write something out in cursive at the beginning. I flat out refused to learn to write in cursive in 3rd and 4th grades, so I still can't.... It took me forever, because I had to print and connect all the letters together. And the test takes forever and a half. And the essay is annoying, and can be tricky to write in a short time.

But, yeah, do a practice test and then see where you stand.

Edited by Christina Thérèse

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Christina Thérèse' timestamp='1352441606' post='2506965']
I thought the SAT was really easy, myself. It just requires that you have good reasoning skills, so you should basically study well and know how to think. Other than generally paying attention to your school work and taking a practice test before the real thing, though, I wouldn't worry about it. If you take the practice test and do badly, then worry about test prep stuff. As was stated above, Kaplan has really good stuff.

The one thing I might watch out for is math. If you don't know the stuff there, you're not in a good position. Also, you should be able to write decently. The essay might be worth doing a few trial runs for. But, in general you should be able to do well on the test without taking test prep classes. The test is supposed to test things you [i]should[/i] know, not esoteric things that you wouldn't ever know.

The one thing I found annoying was having to write something out in cursive at the beginning. I flat out refused to learn to write in cursive in 3rd and 4th grades, so I still can't.... It took me forever, because I had to print and connect all the letters together. And the test takes forever and a half. And the essay is annoying, and can be tricky to write in a short time.

But, yeah, do a practice test and then see where you stand.
[/quote]

My sister actually skipped all of the math parts. She answered like, three questions, and then she didn't do any of the others. She still got in the one hundred best scores in the country that year, so I guess she is [b]really [/b]good at the other stuff or something. I do plan on learning the math since I am pretty good at it once I have the pattern down. My sister just never had a chance with the math so she skipped it.

Ha, I'm in the same boat as you. I don't know how to write in cursive. What do you need to write out in cursive at the beginning, exactly? Maybe I can just learn those letters or something. :hehe:

I'm pretty confident with the test. I have my sister's 2008 study edition of it, and the library has some newer versions, so I should do well. I just really need to practice my handwriting speed.

ChristinaTherese

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352441930' post='2506968']
Ha, I'm in the same boat as you. I don't know how to write in cursive. What do you need to write out in cursive at the beginning, exactly? Maybe I can just learn those letters or something. :hehe:

[/quote]
Some contract. I don't remember much, but it's a few sentences long. I don't know what letters you'd target.... But if you can learn how to print and attach your letters to each other it should be fine. My problem was that attaching my letters to each other took forever, but you could learn to do that quickly without too much effort, I think. :hehe2:

Edited by Christina Thérèse

I like cursive quite a lot. It allows a lot of freedom in one's writing style.
Unfortunately my cursive usually takes up significantly more room than my printing, so I end up choosing between speed (cursive) and space (printed).

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

FP

I would recommend the book To Save A Thousand Souls. Ask your Diocese Vocation Director if he might have a copy. I got one from my VD Fr Mitchel ( who will be at Conception this weekend with the KCK guys). If he doesn't have it PM me an address where I can mail it to you (after asking your parents) maybe your local Parish? The things you are describing to me are a common thing to many of us guys who discern the Priesthood or Religious Life. Rarely do I point out that you are young, but in this case I will point it out. Dating or liking a girl is natural and is not a problem. It can give you insight into yourself, you might date and find some confirmation in yourself about what Vocation you are called to live.

Ooo, I took Theories of Personality at Benedictine College. It was an amesome class. Dr. Posey and Dr. Buhmin-Wiggs are amesome, amesome teachers. I was going to get a psychology minor, but I got a minor in theology instead.

I think I got something like a 1720 on the SAT (I can't super remember since it was 4 years ago) and I received their maximum scholarship that wasn't a full ride (unfortunately they only give out 5 or so full ride scholarships, at the "presidential scholarship weekend").

Benedictine is one of the most affordable of the private, liberal arts Catholic colleges, but nowadays, that is not saying much. :P To save money, I went to community college for one year to get a lot of my gen. eds out of the way, then transfered to Benedictine College my sophomore year. I don't feel like I really missed out on anything (besides a lot more debt). My boyfriend (now husband) liked the idea too and did community college during the summers and Benedictine during the year to graduate in three years to save money.

I heartily recommend Benedictine college. It's the most amesome Catholic community you will probably ever be a part of and you'll have memories and friends for a lifetime. It's much more than a college. It will definitely change you. Expect to be homesick for Benedictine when you graduate.

I would think twice of your choice of major, since that is an extremely hard field to get a job in, and it's hard for anybody to find a job nowadays. You will probably have to look outside your field to find a job. But you probably already know that. Out of all my friends who graduated last year, I only know of one (my husband, a computer science major) who has a decent paying full time job. The rest work in coffee shops and the like, or went back to school to rack up more debt and hopefully find a job at the end of it.

Edited by Tantum Ergo

PhuturePriest

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' timestamp='1352471227' post='2507145']
FP

I would recommend the book To Save A Thousand Souls. Ask your Diocese Vocation Director if he might have a copy. I got one from my VD Fr Mitchel ( who will be at Conception this weekend with the KCK guys). If he doesn't have it PM me an address where I can mail it to you (after asking your parents) maybe your local Parish? The things you are describing to me are a common thing to many of us guys who discern the Priesthood or Religious Life. Rarely do I point out that you are young, but in this case I will point it out. Dating or liking a girl is natural and is not a problem. It can give you insight into yourself, you might date and find some confirmation in yourself about what Vocation you are called to live.
[/quote]

I will definitely try to find the book. From what I hear there is a gift shop at Conception Seminary, so maybe they will have it there? I am bringing $100 + dollars with me so maybe I can buy it there.

I have been thinking about it long and hard, and I think I have come up with a decision. I will see how this weekend goes, and if I feel really called to the Priesthood then I won't date Emily. If the opposite occurs, then I think I will. But then I'm not sure if I shouldn't date Emily if I feel called to the Priesthood after this weekend. Right away I think that's a bad idea because then I get emotionally attached to someone and there will be a vocation crisis that was unneeded, and worst of all I could end up hurting her feelings which I don't want to do, but then I also think it might still be good to discern both vocations intimately like that. What do you think?

When it comes to college, I think the plan is to focus on the ACT's (Because the seminary doesn't accept the SAT's) and try to get at least the required score of 24. If I feel called to go there when I'm eighteen then I will go. If not, Benedictine is essentially right by it. The beauty thing is I don't have to get my GED for either of them, they will just accept the scores I have on the tests.