An Old School Catholic Message Board

Our Country's Voters Are Stupid

Cherie

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352268278' post='2505536']
I am not disagreeing, but it is also worth a thought that there are conceivably issues that could be more important. I would agree that currently there are not, but it is not difficult to imagine comparatively worse scenarios that could in theory become even more oppressive than abortion.
[/quote]
Foreign policy, for example.

I hesitate to call our voters "stupid." I would rather use the terms "ignorant" or "uninformed." There are some Catholics out there (I know one) who believe that it is truly OK that Obama is pro-choice. We can continue to pray for Obama's and the country's conversion. Calling people "stupid" will get us nowhere fast. ;)

[quote name='XIX' timestamp='1352268713' post='2505543']
Foreign policy, for example.
[/quote]
You picked a potentially controversial one, but I do not see why not. :smile3:

Edit: Granted these hypotheticals would necessarily be quite extreme.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

PhuturePriest

We shouldn't blame the president for being re-elected, nor should we blame Romney for not being elected. We shouldn't be blaming anybody, not even the Catholics that voted for Obama. They voted for him because of the crippling catechesis crisis that we have had over the past few decades. It's not time to blame or point fingers, it's time to pray and catechize so this doesn't happen again. Don't want another Obama-esque candidate to be elected? Start catechizing. When people know their faith they will vote their faith, clear and simple.

Edited by FuturePriest387

Taking political positions that are against the wishes and interest of a majority of voters typically results in lost elections. Republicans cost themselves two Senate seats alone with their comments on rape, and may well have lost the Presidency based on Mitt Romney inability to speak without contradiction.

Ultimately, the obsession with social issues, however well intentioned, has cost Republicans several races in several elections now. Whatever your actual meaning or intent, you can't go around talking about pregancies from rape ultimately being the will of the Lord. If you go there, it will be spun to the point that you will lose. If you talk about small and responsible national governments out of one side of your mouth, while attempting to legislate matters personal and private out of the other, you'll lose every time on the basis of hypocrisy.

Also, resulting to name-calling and hyperbole when put on the defensive isn't doing anyone any favors. America is a democracy, where the will of all the people are considered, however well or poorly informed. Calling people "stupid" just because they didn't vote the way you felt they should will almost always lead to the view that the one doing the name-calling is to be considered with less seriousness.

Edited by penguin31

[quote name='XIX' timestamp='1352267542' post='2505528']
It is worth noting that, objectively speaking, abortion is the most important issue. But I'm guessing you knew that already,
[/quote]

well, in this election, even if abortion is the most important thing, how relevant is that actually going to be to the two choices? there is no clear cut expectation for how either is going to act once president, especially so for the "pro life" one. The issue may be important, but for the two choices, both are such a mud puddle that it becomes somewhat irrelevant. All well and good(well, still not ideal) to base a vote on a single important issue, but when the two choices are not even clear, that makes it kinda moot, imo.

missionseeker

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1352266307' post='2505510']
You guys are hilarious.

You lost. America persists. And if your party and philosophy can't survive this thumping, then it's not worth the millions of votes cast in its favor today and in the preceding days.
[/quote]

I'm not sure the Republican Party CAN survive the this thumping if it continues. I also wouldn't think that's a bad thing. It's candidates are seriously poor quality and pretty much anti- things that many Americans believe are important. What I would like to know is the percentage of people who voted FOR Romney as opposed to AGAINST Obama. And that's a very important distinction to make.

That said, I don't identify as republican ( which, contrary to popular superstition around here doesn't mean that identify with the democrats. :o )

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1352271214' post='2505579']
I'm not sure the Republican Party CAN survive the this thumping if it continues. I also wouldn't think that's a bad thing. It's candidates are seriously poor quality and pretty much anti- things that many Americans believe are important. What I would like to know is the percentage of people who voted FOR Romney as opposed to AGAINST Obama. And that's a very important distinction to make.

That said, I don't identify as republican ( which, contrary to popular superstition around here doesn't mean that identify with the democrats. :o )
[/quote]
Interesting thought. Perhaps the political landscape of the US is due for an overhaul.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1352266307' post='2505510']
You guys are hilarious.

You lost. America persists. And if your party and philosophy can't survive this thumping, then it's not worth the millions of votes cast in its favor today and in the preceding days.
[/quote]

America will not persist, not as we once knew it. Regardless of what someone's political philosophy -- we are on the way down and will be undone by our own foolishness, laziness and greed.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1352267216' post='2505523']
I'm sorry but to say that our country's voters are stupid is such a bad statement.
[/quote]

I disagree completely! The title of this thread is true and brutally honest. If anyone feels that it's a bad statement, probably feels stupid with their voting decision and the outcome of this election. Not to mention that several phatmass members propped this post!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Freedom' timestamp='1352273422' post='2505609']

I disagree completely! The title of this thread is true and brutally honest. If anyone feels that it's a bad statement, probably feels stupid with their voting decision and the outcome of this election. Not to mention that several phatmass members propped this post!
[/quote]

I think we have (No pun intended) dumbed down the meaning of "Stupid" so much in our common language. Here are some of the meanings from a quick Google search:

[color=#333333]1.[/color]
[color=#333333]lacking[/color] ordinary [color=#333333]quickness[/color] and keenness of mind; dull.
[color=#333333]characterized[/color] by or [color=#333333]proceeding[/color] from mental dullness; foolish; [color=#333333]senseless:[/color] [color=#333333]a[/color] [color=#333333]stupid[/color] [color=#333333]question.[/color]
[color=#333333]tediously[/color] [color=#333333]dull,[/color] [color=#333333]especially[/color] [color=#333333]due[/color] to lack of meaning or sense; inane; [color=#333333]pointless:[/color] [color=#333333]a[/color] [color=#333333]stupid[/color] party.
annoying or [color=#333333]irritating;[/color] [color=#333333]troublesome:[/color] Turn [color=#333333]off[/color] [color=#333333]that[/color] stupid radio.
in a state of stupor; [color=#333333]stupefied:[/color] [color=#333333]stupid[/color] from [color=#333333]fatigue.[/color]

[color=#333333]The American people are not this. The American people have been lied to, they have been deceived into thinking that this president is putting us on the right track, but they are not stupid in the literal sense of the word. To say so is uncharitable, and the faith calls us to charity. It is time to teach and catechize, not slander and belittle. The latter route gets us nowhere and it makes us look bad, and it definitely doesn't do us any favors in the voting booths.[/color]

Ash Wednesday

I actually got up for the day, came to work, and I feel better. I still think America (and the west in general) is in deep turds, but in the end, the only thing that is truly sustaining and endures to the end is goodness, and the only true joy in life comes from God.

Edited by Ash Wednesday