An Old School Catholic Message Board

Divine Office In A Discerner's Life

Rosa immaculata

of course, it is prayed and not only read... Sorry, when I began this thread I did not know that we can use this expression in English (I am French...) like in French; sorry for all my mistakes which can annoy you, I have to improve my English! ;)

:) As a common english saying goes "It's all good."  I understand -- I also speak spanish, so I completely understand how nuances can be lost.  And lots of sorry for not saying something sooner -- I did limit myself on PM during Advent, and I missed the response.

I don't remember who suggested Magnificat but I think that is a good starting point.  I've tried to put the LOTH into my schedule, and I haven't been too successful.  And I agree with another poster -- I do prefer praying the LOTH in community; I tend to focus more and not try to rush through it to "get it done."

Blessings ... Merry Christmas and belated Happy New Year.

• 2 years later...
truthfinder

is there any website to pray the office of Prime.

Since prime was suppressed, it is only present in the EF breviary. See the website Divinum officium. 

I made this thread, but in the wrong forum: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/137195-digital-breviary-usage-for-ordainedconsecratedobliged-persons-is-it-ok/

is it OK to use the online breviaries if you are a priest or consecrated person?

somehow there is an idea that the books are holier. but if the text is the same, and it saves you fiddling about with ordos and ribbons and page flipping, is it OK to use them?

Mary+Immaculate<3

I made this thread, but in the wrong forum: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/137195-digital-breviary-usage-for-ordainedconsecratedobliged-persons-is-it-ok/

is it OK to use the online breviaries if you are a priest or consecrated person?

somehow there is an idea that the books are holier. but if the text is the same, and it saves you fiddling about with ordos and ribbons and page flipping, is it OK to use them?

​I don't know the "official" Church answer to that, but I know this: My former pastor (got transferred) who does the EF Mass and is very conscientious about Church teaching, used the iBrievary app. He has an iphone and we were traveling in Italy when he used it, so I don't know if that's what he usually does, but I don't think it's "banned" or "less holy," since it's the prayers themselves that matter.

​I don't know the "official" Church answer to that, but I know this: My former pastor (got transferred) who does the EF Mass and is very conscientious about Church teaching, used the iBrievary app. He has an iphone and we were traveling in Italy when he used it, so I don't know if that's what he usually does, but I don't think it's "banned" or "less holy," since it's the prayers themselves that matter.

​That is most likely to be right.

The Historian

​To be honest I don't know if the Church has made an official decision on this matter yet.  The reason books are generally viewed as being holier is because it used to be that clerics had to use texts with an imprimatur and nihil obstat to fulfil their canonical obligations.  As far as I am aware, iBreviary doesn't have that.  But to be honest this isn't absolutely necessary for accomplishing liturgical prayer.  Saint Benedict was praying the Psalms before the imprimatur.  It was a reaction by the Church against erroneous translations and non-Tridentine liturgies that introduced this requirement.

I don't know what canon law says currently.

​To be honest I don't know if the Church has made an official decision on this matter yet.  The reason books are generally viewed as being holier is because it used to be that clerics had to use texts with an imprimatur and nihil obstat to fulfil their canonical obligations.  As far as I am aware, iBreviary doesn't have that.  But to be honest this isn't absolutely necessary for accomplishing liturgical prayer.  Saint Benedict was praying the Psalms before the imprimatur.  It was a reaction by the Church against erroneous translations and non-Tridentine liturgies that introduced this requirement.

I don't know what canon law says currently.

​canon law (the one about the clerics) said something like 'approved' books. some of those books said they were not yet approved. but many clerics don't mind.

my question is - why would anyone, cleric or consecrated, use the books? all the page flipping, the weight? yet many priests still carry it around

PRisests may use a app they dont take a vow of poverty.

The breviary is  not that heavy.

Edited by John Paul

PRisests may use a app they dont take a vow of poverty.

The breviary is  not that heavy.

​The breviary is significantly larger and heavier than a kindle or smartphone

So why do many still use the books, even when they own I-phones with the app or Kindles?

Mary+Immaculate<3

​canon law (the one about the clerics) said something like 'approved' books. some of those books said they were not yet approved. but many clerics don't mind.

my question is - why would anyone, cleric or consecrated, use the books? all the page flipping, the weight? yet many priests still carry it around

​I can't speak for them, but I do know one thing: Books don't run out of charge.