An Old School Catholic Message Board

Divine Office In A Discerner's Life

Rosa immaculata

truthfinder

Priests will sometimes go on vacation (shocking I know) - and like to say their breviary outside (or even when not on vacation, tbh) and it's very easy to read the book outside.  It's also very common to put ordination and funeral cards into breviaries.  There's also just the physicality of it, the ritual of turning the pages and the ribbons.  I've prayed the office on both my phone and with the book, and although the phone is handy, the book is just feels like you've prayed it.  

Sister Leticia

A breviary may be heavier and more cumbersome, but it has a tremendous witness value. If you see someone on a bus using a book with ribbons, or reading what is obviously a bible, you know that person is praying the office/reading scripture. That's impressive, and who knows what effect it might have on others who see them? But if you see someone using a kindle or scrolling down their phone, they could be reading anything - texts, emails, novels, anything, and I know I almost don't notice them, because so many people spend a journey staring at their phone. That's not to say the person's prayers are in any way "less", just that it's less likely someone will be inspired or challenged.

Just another way of looking at things, though I must admit I'm biased, because I much prefer proper books, for novels as well as spiritual/prayer :)

truthfinder

Absolutely Sister. I once saw my parish priest pacing about the parking lot. If he had his phone, I would have probably gone and bothered him. Instead, I knew he was praying the breviary, and it was such a quiet beautiful witness and inspiration to be dedicated to prayer. 

• 2 weeks later...
DeoOptimoMaximo

I've used both myself and know of other seminarians, priests, bishops, etc., who use one or the other.  As far as I know, there has not been any specific regulations regarding the usage of electronic versions of the Divine Office, assuming of course, that they are accurate and approved translations.  

Often in travelling, the e-breviary is quite helpful, but nothing can beat the actual "hard copy," for its sole purpose is to be used for prayer.

God bless!