An Old School Catholic Message Board

America Fights Back!

Freedom

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1352873666' post='2509754']
Not since the decision handed down at the Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865. There is no legal grounds or rights for any state to seceed from the union.

ed
[/quote]

I use to believe that, but not anymore.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Kia ora' timestamp='1352880357' post='2509782']
War of Northern Aggression?[/quote]

The proper name for the American Civil War.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1352875351' post='2509767']
I don't recognize the War of Northern Agression as a legal or moral war, and consequently reject any "legal" decisions made as a result of it.
[/quote]

Life must be very confusing for you without recognizing the 13th Amendment :)

[quote name='GregorMendel' timestamp='1352951665' post='2510322']

Life must be very confusing for you without recognizing the 13th Amendment :)
[/quote]
Revisionists need not apply.

GeorgiiMichael

I like how Southerners always forget who fired the first shots of the Civil War.

Also, seceding because you want to continue your practice of owning and selling people isn't in any way morally justifiable.

[quote name='GeorgiiMichael' timestamp='1352961282' post='2510427']
Also, seceding because you want to continue your practice of owning and selling people isn't in any way morally justifiable.
[/quote]
Revisionists still need not apply.

GeorgiiMichael

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1352961728' post='2510431']
Revisionists still need not apply.
[/quote]
Take every "cause" of the Civil War and it all gets boiled down to slavery. I challenge you to find one that doesn't.

Also, writing off revisionist history is just as bad as taking the traditional view as absolute truth. Each understanding has something to give us, and relying entirely on one without consulting the other is naive.

I'm about a month away from earning a degree in history, I do this stuff for fun.

[url="http://www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo206.html"]Thomas DiLorenzo[/url] disagrees that it was just about slavery.
He also [url="http://www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo205.html"]hates Lincoln[/url].

[i][font="Times New Roman, Times, serif"][size="3"]I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.[/size][/font][/i]
[font="Times New Roman, Times, serif"][size="3"]~ Abraham Lincoln, Debate with Stephen Douglas, Sept. 18, 1858, in [i][url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598530372?ie=UTF8&tag=lewrockwell&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1598530372"]Abraham Lincoln: Speeches and Writings, 1832-1858[/url][/i] (New York: Library of America, 1989), pp. 636-637.[/size][/font]

[quote name='GeorgiiMichael' timestamp='1352962143' post='2510432']
Take every "cause" of the Civil War and it all gets boiled down to slavery. I challenge you to find one that doesn't.
[/quote]

[quote name='Lincoln in a Letter to Horace Greeley, August 22, 1862']My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause.[/quote]
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Life_and_Works_of_Abraham_Lincoln/Volume_9/Greeley,_Horace#1862-08-22

[quote][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew."[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, [u][i][b]its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition.[/b][/i][/u] This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

-Alexander H. Stephens, Vice President of the Confederacy
Cornerstone Speech,
Savannah, Georgia,
March 21st 1861

[quote][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew."[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, [u][i][b]its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition.[/b][/i][/u] This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

-Alexander H. Stephens, Vice President of the Confederacy
Cornerstone Speech,
Savannah, Georgia,
March 21st 1861