An Old School Catholic Message Board

America Fights Back!

Freedom

[quote][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew."[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, [u][i][b]its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition.[/b][/i][/u] This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

-Alexander H. Stephens, Vice President of the Confederacy
Cornerstone Speech,
Savannah, Georgia,
March 21st 1861

[quote][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew."[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, [u][i][b]its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition.[/b][/i][/u] This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

Cornerstone Speech,
Savannah, Georgia,
March 21st 1861

[quote][color=#335577][font='Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the “storm came and the wind blew.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#335577][font='Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, [u][i][b]its corner-stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition.[/b][/i][/u] This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

Cornerstone Speech,
Savannah, Georgia,
March 21st 1861

Edited by GregorMendel

[size=4][quote][size=2]The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew."
Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, [u][i][b]its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition.[/b][/i][/u] This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.[/size][/quote][/size]

[color=#282828][size=4]-Alexander H. Stephens, Vice President of the Confederacy
Cornerstone Speech,
Savannah, Georgia,
March 21st 1861 [/size][/color]

Edited by Nihil Obstat

[quote name='GregorMendel' timestamp='1352963631' post='2510437']
Cornerstone Speech,
Savannah, Georgia,
March 21st 1861
[/quote]
Are you attempting to tell me that there were racists in the 19th century Southern US? I'm not sure I can buy all of that...

Nope, just giving ground to the idea that acknowledging the 13th Amendment doesnt constitute revisionist history, as well as the idea that the institution of slavery [i]may[/i] have had a hand in the civil war :)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352962399' post='2510434']
[url="http://www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo206.html"]Thomas DiLorenzo[/url] disagrees that it was just about slavery.
He also [url="http://www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo205.html"]hates Lincoln[/url].

[i][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=3]I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.[/size][/font][/i]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=3]~ Abraham Lincoln, Debate with Stephen Douglas, Sept. 18, 1858, in [i][url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598530372?ie=UTF8&tag=lewrockwell&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1598530372"]Abraham Lincoln: Speeches and Writings, 1832-1858[/url][/i] (New York: Library of America, 1989), pp. 636-637.[/size][/font]
[/quote]
Congratulations, your country has racists and slave owners and other vile people among its heroes. So what? It doesn't change the fact that the Confederacy was all about state rights - state rights to own a human being that is!

[quote name='Kia ora' timestamp='1352964604' post='2510446']
Congratulations, your country has racists and slave owners and other vile people among its heroes. So what? It doesn't change the fact that the Confederacy was all about state rights - state rights to own a human being that is!
[/quote]
My country?

[quote name='GregorMendel' timestamp='1352964470' post='2510445']
Nope, just giving ground to the idea that acknowledging the 13th Amendment doesnt constitute revisionist history, as well as the idea that the institution of slavery [i]may[/i] have had a hand in the civil war :)
[/quote]
The 13th Amendment was nothing but Lincoln twisting his dagger in the corpse of state's rights. The US was not the first to outlaw slavery - in fact, the UK, France, and indeed most of the West beat us to the punch (the only exception that comes to mind is Portugal/Brazil, who trailed us only by four years). Abolitionism was en vogue at the time. It would have happened within several years with or without the War. As shown above, Lincoln himself didn't give a croutons whether slavery would still be legal or not - he just wanted to increase the power that the central government had over the states, and succeeded in doing so. The Emancipation Proclamation and 13th Amendment were mere thumbs of the nose at the vanquished foes.

[quote name='Kia ora' timestamp='1352965357' post='2510450']
It's certainly not mine.
[/quote]
Nor is it mine. You should not make silly assumptions when you are posting. They are often evidence, in my opinion, of a mind that is preoccupied with cheap zingers rather than substantive arguments.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352965501' post='2510451']
Nor is it mine. You should not make silly assumptions when you are posting. [/quote] I'm sorry for thinking you were an American.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352965501' post='2510451']They are often evidence, in my opinion, of a mind that is preoccupied with cheap zingers rather than substantive arguments.
[/quote]

And there's a time and a place for your sort of comment as well.

I was reflecting upon this further last night. As the letter I posted showed, Lincoln did not care whether he freed the slaves or not. However, later in the same letter, he says this:
[quote]I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free.[/quote]
So he believes that all men ought to be free (and that, by implication, the slaves are indeed men), but still will tolerate the existence of slavery.

This, to me, is so much more grievous than Mr. Stevens opinion above. A parallel may be drawn with abortion - though it's a grave evil, some lenience may be given for those who earnestly believe that it is only a mass of cells being removed. But those who acknowledge that it is a human person and still profess that it is not their place to dictate what others do with their bodies commit a much more serious sin by the burden of their knowledge and their subsequent cowardice. Such is the sin of Mr. Lincoln, who believes that slaves are humans, yet is still content with them being enslaved, for his own political gains.

And to think that so many worship him as a saint. Shame on him.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352965501' post='2510451']
Nor is it mine. You should not make silly assumptions when you are posting. They are often evidence, in my opinion, of a mind that is preoccupied with cheap zingers rather than substantive arguments.
[/quote]

I've seen this a lot online. People just assume a poster must be American, for whatever reason.

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Kia ora' timestamp='1352964604' post='2510446']
[/quote]
You really like cartoons, don't you?