Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

College Majors. Any Ideas?


Recommended Posts

eagle_eye222001
Posted

Find a career/university that allows you to go to a community college and then transfer.

It's a blow to the ego, but you save money. You also need to be careful and make def. sure you know what classes will be accepted as transfer credits.


I admire you for you keeping finances in mind. Too many people have ignored finances and just gone to college.


Keep thinking.....something will work out....and you'll be thankful you made hard decisions now.




Btw- I can't support youth ministry as an option if your looking to support a family. While such a career is def. needed in the Church, practicality says it doesn't pay well, is generally first on the chopping block when it comes to parish budget issues, and takes a great enthusiastic person.

What about business or engineering? Accounting?

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1352956444' post='2510377']
Find a career/university that allows you to go to a community college and then transfer.

It's a blow to the ego, but you save money. You also need to be careful and make def. sure you know what classes will be accepted as transfer credits.


I admire you for you keeping finances in mind. Too many people have ignored finances and just gone to college.


Keep thinking.....something will work out....and you'll be thankful you made hard decisions now.




Btw- I can't support youth ministry as an option if your looking to support a family. While such a career is def. needed in the Church, practicality says it doesn't pay well, is generally first on the chopping block when it comes to parish budget issues, and takes a great enthusiastic person.

What about business or engineering? Accounting?
[/quote]

I'm relying on Benedictine because I don't need a GED to go there. I just need to do the SAT's and enroll. Plus, I do not trust credits transferring AT ALL. I have seen it happen too many times where credits were promised to transfer but they didn't. Instead, I am going to enroll in Angelicum, which is an online Catholic college thing by Father Fessio. There I will be able to earn credits comparable to an associate's degree, and what's better is I can enroll as soon as the next semester starts. All they do are the classics there, no math or anything, which should definitely be interesting.

That's what I'm thinking. Youth ministry is needed and it's fun, but it can't support a family.

Anything to do with business I will not take part of. I have lived in the business world all my life and I want to break free from it as soon as I possibly can. Engineering and accounting are definitely not an option. Though stable high income jobs, I don't want a job that has to do with math, and engineering never interested me. I don't like to build stuff.

Posted

I think it all depends on what you plan on doing post college. For instance if you wanted to pursue a career as a teacher, you would aim to get into a masters program (its called a bachelor of education in Canada, not sure what it is called in the US) following your undergraduate degree, and aim to meet the prerequisite requirements for that program. For teaching that would involve a high grade average, extra curricular's, and maybe volunteering at schools and similar situations (good for the applications, and good to see if you even like instructing children/teenagers). Also unless otherwise specified many masters program don't require specific majors. Psychology would be good for counselling and psychologist/psychiatrist careers (you'd be looking at either a masters or a doctorate program for graduate studies, maybe even both, depends on your specific field). Medical school usually requires a science or health science undergraduate. Law school and Teaching schools would require any of what you listed as potential majors.

My advice think about what you want (and if you change your mind in a few years, that's okay, for some it takes more time to figure out exactly what you want [trust me, I'm one of those people=p]) and find out the educational path and what other requirements are needed for that. If you can't take something you are interested in as a major due to fears of lack of employment options consider taking that as a minor or take electives from that program. Also if you like theatre and aren't sure whether or not you want to study that as a major, I would suggest looking for local theatres near your potential college and take classes/volunteer/audition for plays and such there. Its a good way to pursue a passion while in school pursuing a career. I loved drama in high school, so I try to get involved in the local theatre scene as an acting career just wasn't in the cards for me, yet didn't want to give it up.

Academic advisers at your high school or even at college can be helpful with these situations as well.

Whatever you end up choosing, I wish you the best of luck, and much success. (I hope my response wasn't too incoherent, it has been a rough day...)

Posted

Petroleum engineering, economics and atmospheric sciences, then make a killing in oiling drilling and the commodities futures markets :)

Or you could major in biology and claw your way into medical school like me (not advised)

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='jazzytakara' timestamp='1352957245' post='2510383']
I think it all depends on what you plan on doing post college. For instance if you wanted to pursue a career as a teacher, you would aim to get into a masters program (its called a bachelor of education in Canada, not sure what it is called in the US) following your undergraduate degree, and aim to meet the prerequisite requirements for that program. For teaching that would involve a high grade average, extra curricular's, and maybe volunteering at schools and similar situations (good for the applications, and good to see if you even like instructing children/teenagers). Also unless otherwise specified many masters program don't require specific majors. Psychology would be good for counselling and psychologist/psychiatrist careers (you'd be looking at either a masters or a doctorate program for graduate studies, maybe even both, depends on your specific field). Medical school usually requires a science or health science undergraduate. Law school and Teaching schools would require any of what you listed as potential majors.

My advice think about what you want (and if you change your mind in a few years, that's okay, for some it takes more time to figure out exactly what you want [trust me, I'm one of those people=p]) and find out the educational path and what other requirements are needed for that. If you can't take something you are interested in as a major due to fears of lack of employment options consider taking that as a minor or take electives from that program. Also if you like theatre and aren't sure whether or not you want to study that as a major, I would suggest looking for local theatres near your potential college and take classes/volunteer/audition for plays and such there. Its a good way to pursue a passion while in school pursuing a career. I loved drama in high school, so I try to get involved in the local theatre scene as an acting career just wasn't in the cards for me, yet didn't want to give it up.

Academic advisers at your high school or even at college can be helpful with these situations as well.

Whatever you end up choosing, I wish you the best of luck, and much success. (I hope my response wasn't too incoherent, it has been a rough day...)
[/quote]

Well, this is discouraging. Again, no master's programs are acceptable. I don't want to pursue a career that takes that much schooling and (Most importantly) that much debt.

Thanks for the advice on theater, though. Michael (The brother-in-law) is a great actor in the theater and I'm sure he could teach me how to act, prior to auditioning.

And by the way, I am home schooled for future reference.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='GregorMendel' timestamp='1352958231' post='2510389']
Petroleum engineering, economics and atmospheric sciences, then make a killing in oiling drilling and the commodities futures markets :)

Or you could major in biology and claw your way into medical school like me (not advised)
[/quote]

Again, nothing in the business realm. I've had enough experiences in business in my sixteen year life to know that I never want to have anything to do with it again.

And biology is interesting, but I could never do it as a major or as a job.

Posted

Ok, last suggestion from me is geology. Requires a lot of science, and therefore reasonable amounts of math, but it is a good field to be in right now.

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352958461' post='2510391']
Thanks for the advice on theater, though. Michael (The brother-in-law) is a great actor in the theater and [b]I'm sure he could teach me how to act, prior to auditioning.[/b]
[/quote]
I'm sure you didn't mean it in this way, and you'd have no way of knowing what it's like to have a comment like that made to you, never having devoted countless hours over the span of decades to a particular craft or art form, but...speaking as a musician, that is a terribly insulting thing to say.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1352958853' post='2510399']
I'm sure you didn't mean it in this way, and you'd have no way of knowing what it's like to have a comment like that made to you, never having devoted countless hours over the span of decades to a particular craft or art form, but...speaking as a musician, that is a terribly insulting thing to say.
[/quote]

Picky picky... Allow me to rephrase myself. Ahem:

I'm sure Michael could teach me some basics before I make a fool out of myself in front of those I am auditioning for.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352958614' post='2510395']
Ok, last suggestion from me is geology. Requires a lot of science, and therefore reasonable amounts of math, but it is a good field to be in right now.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I like science. I like astronomy and physics and zoology and all of that. I just like it as something to look into for fun, not for something to do seriously. I don't think I could do those things as a job.

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352959420' post='2510405']

Don't get me wrong, I like science. I like astronomy and physics and zoology and all of that. I just like it as something to look into for fun, not for something to do seriously. I don't think I could do those things as a job.
[/quote]

I bet you could do very well in those as a job.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1352959634' post='2510406']

I bet you could do very well in those as a job.
[/quote]

Eh, the only one I would be interested in is zoology, and working in a zoo is not exactly a high paying job either.

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352959289' post='2510404']

Picky picky... Allow me to rephrase myself.
[/quote]
No, it's not picky. You wouldn't presume that you could read "Cardiothoracic Surgery for Dummies" and then head up to Walter Reed to start slicing and dicing GI Joes. Why would you presume the same thing about skills or art forms, then?

For a community theatre performance, some brief lessons with a friend might suffice. For a (reputable) degree program, that wouldn't cut it.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1352959716' post='2510408']
No, it's not picky. You wouldn't presume that you could read "Cardiothoracic Surgery for Dummies" and then head up to Walter Reed to start slicing and dicing GI Joes. Why would you presume the same thing about skills or art forms, then?

For a community theatre performance, some brief lessons with a friend might suffice. For a (reputable) degree program, that wouldn't cut it.
[/quote]

I didn't say "learn how to act" as in I will automatically become better than Tom Cruise. I meant "learn how to act" as in, learn how. I don't know anything about acting, and he can teach me some stuff. You are insinuating something that I never said or implied.

Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1352959716' post='2510408']
No, it's not picky. You wouldn't presume that you could read "Cardiothoracic Surgery for Dummies" and then head up to Walter Reed to start slicing and dicing GI Joes. Why would you presume the same thing about skills or art forms, then?

For a community theatre performance, some brief lessons with a friend might suffice. For a (reputable) degree program, that wouldn't cut it.
[/quote]

Art is definitely something you'd want to find a master to study it from, but sadly the usual college degree in those fields is very expensive. I can't afford to study under a master in person, so I kinda hack it I guess. I know lots of artists who resent me for it.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1352959920' post='2510410']

Art is definitely something you'd want to find a master to study it from, but sadly the usual college degree in those fields is very expensive. I can't afford to study under a master in person, so I kinda hack it I guess. I know lots of artists who resent me for it.
[/quote]

I hate art anyway, so that's not an option. :hehe:

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352959849' post='2510409']You are insinuating something that I never said or implied.
[/quote]
1. That's not how that verb works.
2. The fact that you think you think that by taking some impromptu lessons in acting, without ever having set foot on a stage (I'm presuming), you'd be performing at a high enough level to study in a university program either demonstrates that you have very little respect for the art form or that you have no idea what would be involved in the serious academic study of that field.

@Arfink - depends on what sort of art. There are several (I hesitate to say many, but perhaps many) fully endowed BM/BA programs in organ performance around the country. Otherwise, if you go to a good-but-not-top-10 school and are a credible player, it is completely within the realm of reality to get an assistanceship and be able to make up the difference with employment without taking out any or excessive student loans.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1352960413' post='2510415']
1. That's not how that verb works.
2. The fact that you think you think that by taking some impromptu lessons in acting, without ever having set foot on a stage (I'm presuming), you'd be performing at a high enough level to study in a university program either demonstrates that you have very little respect for the art form or that you have no idea what would be involved in the serious academic study of that field.

@Arfink - depends on what sort of art. There are several (I hesitate to say many, but perhaps many) fully endowed BM/BA programs in organ performance around the country. Otherwise, if you go to a good-but-not-top-10 school and are a credible player, it is completely within the realm of reality to get an assistanceship and be able to make up the difference with employment without taking out any or excessive student loans.
[/quote]

There is some major misunderstanding. I'm talking about high school, NOT college. And I did not say I would be good. I said (Or implied) that he would make me better than me going on a stage with no experience or idea as to what I am doing.

Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1352960413' post='2510415']
1. That's not how that verb works.
2. The fact that you think you think that by taking some impromptu lessons in acting, without ever having set foot on a stage (I'm presuming), you'd be performing at a high enough level to study in a university program either demonstrates that you have very little respect for the art form or that you have no idea what would be involved in the serious academic study of that field.

@Arfink - depends on what sort of art. There are several (I hesitate to say many, but perhaps many) fully endowed BM/BA programs in organ performance around the country. Otherwise, if you go to a good-but-not-top-10 school and are a credible player, it is completely within the realm of reality to get an assistanceship and be able to make up the difference with employment without taking out any or excessive student loans.
[/quote]

Wrong kind of art, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

I had no idea they even did apprenticeships any more, anywhere. And in what I do, I'm not sure anyone would take me anyhow. I'm completely lacking in formal training. I don't know what credible even looks like. :P

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352960670' post='2510418']

There is some major misunderstanding. I'm talking about high school, NOT college. And I did not say I would be good. I said (Or implied) that he would make me better than me going on a stage with no experience or idea as to what I am doing.
[/quote]
My bad. I thought we were talking about university.

And none of this was to say that you could not be a great actor. Just that the implication that you could "pick up" a craft/art and be ready for university study in it was ludicrous. My mistake if I had something out of context.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...