College Majors. Any Ideas?

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352954647' post='2510358']
How are your languages?
[/quote]

I can get by with the one I speak.

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1352954725' post='2510361']

FP, the thing about teachers is that we will always need them. I work with several public schools now and although they lay off some teachers, they are teaching music and the arts (sadly). We always need history teachers. We always need language teachers, we always need math teachers, etc. One of the schools I work with has a huge teacher turnover rate--they need 5-7 new teachers a year because no one wants to teach in a "poor country school." I live and study in one of the most conservative states in the country, and the teachers who are getting laid off are at the university level because our lovely governor keeps cutting education in order to give huge tax breaks to companies that are literally ruining my state environmentally

Also, teachers are usually--and most commonly--paid through property taxes. It's not like they get a check from the government, unless they teach in correctional facilities.

Sorry if I sound really defensive, but education is a growing field and many people don't realize it. I've had way too many people dismiss what I do (they think I should be a doctor or something) because the pay smells of elderberries and it's hard. Yeah it is hard. Teachers get a lot of flack from the government (who cuts programs for teachers and students), from parents (who don't believe their children should ever be punished), and from students. But in the end it is a rather stable profession, especially if you have a family.
[/quote]
[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1352954792' post='2510362']
YOu also have the added bonus of making a difference in kids' lives. And you know shaping future generations. :nun:
[/quote]

Of course we will always need them. And I in fact like teaching. Karate for me is always a lot more fun when I am the teacher and not the student (And it's not a power thing, it's just that I love teaching). I suppose I can look into it, but that will be one of my fall-backs if I don't find something else that I would like to do more.

Going by the list from Benedictine, I would say that the two I see on there that would be really good, career wise, would be either nursing or Youth Ministry. Nurses are very much needed and the need is only increasing as people get older. It's a very stable position because no machine can do your job for you. You are relatively safe in pretty much any caregiving or healthcare field.

Youth Ministry is VERY important to the life of the Church. Before my friend left to re-enter the Carmelites, she was a junior high youth minister and told me of the problems the parish had been having finding someone to fill the position. It was definitely NOT her first choice but she grew to love it so much that she cried when she left. The parish tried to get her to wait before re-entering because she was so wonderful with the teens. But I, and a few of her friends, convinced her that she really needed to pursue what she was called to do which was re-entering religious life. :)

Honestly, psychology is such a competitive field and there are too many as it is. It was a field I was looking into because I was very interested in it as well (I loved all the psych classes I took; I took more than was necessary). After all the research I did, I found that it was not as lucrative as I would have hoped. As much as I would have loved it, I would have had a lot of trouble finding a job -- especially with no experience. I am currently pursuing Medical Office Administration with the future plan of becoming a nurse.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352955097' post='2510367']
I can get by with the one I speak.

Of course we will always need them. And I in fact like teaching. Karate for me is always a lot more fun when I am the teacher and not the student (And it's not a power thing, it's just that I love teaching). I suppose I can look into it, but that will be one of my fall-backs if I don't find something else that I would like to do more.
[/quote]

If you already love teaching then pursue something in that field. There was a glut of teachers when I was in my twenties or I would have considered it myself. It is best to do what you love. As for debt, well, look into scholarships and bursaries. Definitely avoid debt if you can. Debt is a drug.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1352955982' post='2510370']
Going by the list from Benedictine, I would say that the two I see on there that would be really good, career wise, would be either nursing or Youth Ministry. Nurses are very much needed and the need is only increasing as people get older. It's a very stable position because no machine can do your job for you. You are relatively safe in pretty much any caregiving or healthcare field.

Youth Ministry is VERY important to the life of the Church. Before my friend left to re-enter the Carmelites, she was a junior high youth minister and told me of the problems the parish had been having finding someone to fill the position. It was definitely NOT her first choice but she grew to love it so much that she cried when she left. The parish tried to get her to wait before re-entering because she was so wonderful with the teens. But I, and a few of her friends, convinced her that she really needed to pursue what she was called to do which was re-entering religious life. :)

Honestly, psychology is such a competitive field and there are too many as it is. It was a field I was looking into because I was very interested in it as well (I loved all the psych classes I took; I took more than was necessary). After all the research I did, I found that it was not as lucrative as I would have hoped. As much as I would have loved it, I would have had a lot of trouble finding a job -- especially with no experience.
[/quote]

Nursing or anything biology related would be impossible for me to pass. My sister majored in youth ministry, and she says the best she will do career-wise is thirty thousand a year. That's not exactly promising for a man providing for a family. However, I would totally love that. Youth ministry would be an amazing path for me to take if the paycheck was not an issue.

And I agree. Psychology is wonderful and I love it, but it is a competitive field and it would be hard to find a job.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1352956055' post='2510371']

If you already love teaching then pursue something in that field. There was a glut of teachers when I was in my twenties or I would have considered it myself. It is best to do what you love. As for debt, well, look into scholarships and bursaries. Definitely avoid debt if you can. Debt is a drug.
[/quote]

I disagree. At least drugs are satisfying to some effect and you can quickly escape them if you want to.

But if we're going by what I love, I also love the theater and singing. Landing a lead as the Phantom of the Opera would be my dream job, as you can clearly see from my avatar.

eagle_eye222001

Find a career/university that allows you to go to a community college and then transfer.

It's a blow to the ego, but you save money. You also need to be careful and make def. sure you know what classes will be accepted as transfer credits.

I admire you for you keeping finances in mind. Too many people have ignored finances and just gone to college.

Keep thinking.....something will work out....and you'll be thankful you made hard decisions now.

Btw- I can't support youth ministry as an option if your looking to support a family. While such a career is def. needed in the Church, practicality says it doesn't pay well, is generally first on the chopping block when it comes to parish budget issues, and takes a great enthusiastic person.

What about business or engineering? Accounting?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1352956444' post='2510377']
Find a career/university that allows you to go to a community college and then transfer.

It's a blow to the ego, but you save money. You also need to be careful and make def. sure you know what classes will be accepted as transfer credits.

I admire you for you keeping finances in mind. Too many people have ignored finances and just gone to college.

Keep thinking.....something will work out....and you'll be thankful you made hard decisions now.

Btw- I can't support youth ministry as an option if your looking to support a family. While such a career is def. needed in the Church, practicality says it doesn't pay well, is generally first on the chopping block when it comes to parish budget issues, and takes a great enthusiastic person.

What about business or engineering? Accounting?
[/quote]

I'm relying on Benedictine because I don't need a GED to go there. I just need to do the SAT's and enroll. Plus, I do not trust credits transferring AT ALL. I have seen it happen too many times where credits were promised to transfer but they didn't. Instead, I am going to enroll in Angelicum, which is an online Catholic college thing by Father Fessio. There I will be able to earn credits comparable to an associate's degree, and what's better is I can enroll as soon as the next semester starts. All they do are the classics there, no math or anything, which should definitely be interesting.

That's what I'm thinking. Youth ministry is needed and it's fun, but it can't support a family.

Anything to do with business I will not take part of. I have lived in the business world all my life and I want to break free from it as soon as I possibly can. Engineering and accounting are definitely not an option. Though stable high income jobs, I don't want a job that has to do with math, and engineering never interested me. I don't like to build stuff.

I think it all depends on what you plan on doing post college. For instance if you wanted to pursue a career as a teacher, you would aim to get into a masters program (its called a bachelor of education in Canada, not sure what it is called in the US) following your undergraduate degree, and aim to meet the prerequisite requirements for that program. For teaching that would involve a high grade average, extra curricular's, and maybe volunteering at schools and similar situations (good for the applications, and good to see if you even like instructing children/teenagers). Also unless otherwise specified many masters program don't require specific majors. Psychology would be good for counselling and psychologist/psychiatrist careers (you'd be looking at either a masters or a doctorate program for graduate studies, maybe even both, depends on your specific field). Medical school usually requires a science or health science undergraduate. Law school and Teaching schools would require any of what you listed as potential majors.

My advice think about what you want (and if you change your mind in a few years, that's okay, for some it takes more time to figure out exactly what you want [trust me, I'm one of those people=p]) and find out the educational path and what other requirements are needed for that. If you can't take something you are interested in as a major due to fears of lack of employment options consider taking that as a minor or take electives from that program. Also if you like theatre and aren't sure whether or not you want to study that as a major, I would suggest looking for local theatres near your potential college and take classes/volunteer/audition for plays and such there. Its a good way to pursue a passion while in school pursuing a career. I loved drama in high school, so I try to get involved in the local theatre scene as an acting career just wasn't in the cards for me, yet didn't want to give it up.

Academic advisers at your high school or even at college can be helpful with these situations as well.

Whatever you end up choosing, I wish you the best of luck, and much success. (I hope my response wasn't too incoherent, it has been a rough day...)

Petroleum engineering, economics and atmospheric sciences, then make a killing in oiling drilling and the commodities futures markets :)

Or you could major in biology and claw your way into medical school like me (not advised)

PhuturePriest

[quote name='jazzytakara' timestamp='1352957245' post='2510383']
I think it all depends on what you plan on doing post college. For instance if you wanted to pursue a career as a teacher, you would aim to get into a masters program (its called a bachelor of education in Canada, not sure what it is called in the US) following your undergraduate degree, and aim to meet the prerequisite requirements for that program. For teaching that would involve a high grade average, extra curricular's, and maybe volunteering at schools and similar situations (good for the applications, and good to see if you even like instructing children/teenagers). Also unless otherwise specified many masters program don't require specific majors. Psychology would be good for counselling and psychologist/psychiatrist careers (you'd be looking at either a masters or a doctorate program for graduate studies, maybe even both, depends on your specific field). Medical school usually requires a science or health science undergraduate. Law school and Teaching schools would require any of what you listed as potential majors.

My advice think about what you want (and if you change your mind in a few years, that's okay, for some it takes more time to figure out exactly what you want [trust me, I'm one of those people=p]) and find out the educational path and what other requirements are needed for that. If you can't take something you are interested in as a major due to fears of lack of employment options consider taking that as a minor or take electives from that program. Also if you like theatre and aren't sure whether or not you want to study that as a major, I would suggest looking for local theatres near your potential college and take classes/volunteer/audition for plays and such there. Its a good way to pursue a passion while in school pursuing a career. I loved drama in high school, so I try to get involved in the local theatre scene as an acting career just wasn't in the cards for me, yet didn't want to give it up.

Academic advisers at your high school or even at college can be helpful with these situations as well.

Whatever you end up choosing, I wish you the best of luck, and much success. (I hope my response wasn't too incoherent, it has been a rough day...)
[/quote]

Well, this is discouraging. Again, no master's programs are acceptable. I don't want to pursue a career that takes that much schooling and (Most importantly) that much debt.

Thanks for the advice on theater, though. Michael (The brother-in-law) is a great actor in the theater and I'm sure he could teach me how to act, prior to auditioning.

And by the way, I am home schooled for future reference.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='GregorMendel' timestamp='1352958231' post='2510389']
Petroleum engineering, economics and atmospheric sciences, then make a killing in oiling drilling and the commodities futures markets :)

Or you could major in biology and claw your way into medical school like me (not advised)
[/quote]

Again, nothing in the business realm. I've had enough experiences in business in my sixteen year life to know that I never want to have anything to do with it again.

And biology is interesting, but I could never do it as a major or as a job.

Ok, last suggestion from me is geology. Requires a lot of science, and therefore reasonable amounts of math, but it is a good field to be in right now.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352958461' post='2510391']
Thanks for the advice on theater, though. Michael (The brother-in-law) is a great actor in the theater and [b]I'm sure he could teach me how to act, prior to auditioning.[/b]
[/quote]
I'm sure you didn't mean it in this way, and you'd have no way of knowing what it's like to have a comment like that made to you, never having devoted countless hours over the span of decades to a particular craft or art form, but...speaking as a musician, that is a terribly insulting thing to say.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1352958853' post='2510399']
I'm sure you didn't mean it in this way, and you'd have no way of knowing what it's like to have a comment like that made to you, never having devoted countless hours over the span of decades to a particular craft or art form, but...speaking as a musician, that is a terribly insulting thing to say.
[/quote]

Picky picky... Allow me to rephrase myself. Ahem:

I'm sure Michael could teach me some basics before I make a fool out of myself in front of those I am auditioning for.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352958614' post='2510395']
Ok, last suggestion from me is geology. Requires a lot of science, and therefore reasonable amounts of math, but it is a good field to be in right now.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I like science. I like astronomy and physics and zoology and all of that. I just like it as something to look into for fun, not for something to do seriously. I don't think I could do those things as a job.