An Old School Catholic Message Board

College Majors. Any Ideas?

PhuturePriest

Archaeology cat

Haven't read it all

I have a cousin at Benedictine, actually. Sounds like a lovely school.

I dislike choosing a major based on what will make money. I certainly wouldn't have majored in archaeology, minored in history, and gotten a Master's in Egyptology had I thought only about salary after. But I enjoyed it and don't regret it, even though I don't work in those fields now, though I did for a bit. I dislike the debt, but no state schools had my major. Anyway, find something you enjoy. I graduated early, which helped some, and I did have scholarships and some money of my own to help. Taking classes at a community college can also help a lot, especially if you also work during that time. I don't know if Benedictine has work study, but look into it.

Basilisa Marie

Why not narrow down your options to two or three, then take an intro class to each and go from there?

Also you'll either have to go into business/economics/sciences and make a lot of money or arts/humanities/theology and make only enough to get by.

There's no going into the humanities and making a lot of money, unless you've got a hidden trust fund.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352958461' post='2510391']
Well, this is discouraging. Again, no master's programs are acceptable. I don't want to pursue a career that takes that much schooling and (Most importantly) that much debt.

Thanks for the advice on theater, though. Michael (The brother-in-law) is a great actor in the theater and I'm sure he could teach me how to act, prior to auditioning.

And by the way, I am home schooled for future reference.
[/quote]

I understand the not wanting to be in school for a long time. Look into careers you may want to pursue, and find out what education paths are best for them. I know many colleges hold open houses where you can learn about the majors they offer from the professors who teach them, or see if they have 'student for a day' programs. You should also look into what your potential colleges policies on switching programs are, just in case you end up wanting to switch first year.

You have time to figure this stuff all out, so take that time and use it. Research what your interests are, what careers you would like, schools you would like, scholarships/bursaries available to you to reduce loans, and save money where you can for schooling. Some people even take a year between finishing their high school education and starting their college education to figure all of this out and work to save money for school, so that could be an option too.

The best advice I can give is to do some real soul searching and figure out what you want to do in life, better than rushing into a decision in most cases. Also as I said above, see if your potential college(s) offers an information session, speak to their admissions office about who you could talk to about their majors, and about career counselling. There are many schools who offer resources to potential students, they want you to attend after all, so they should be willing and able to help.

Edit: Look into government jobs (that aren't politics/politician careers) if you're interested, many government industry jobs pay well and require undergraduate degrees in a variety of subjects, even the humanities/arts. There are many jobs out there, some are just less advertised than others.

Edited by jazzytakara

Have you thought about just going and starting out with general studies to find what you love? For me, I am doing a double major in International Relations and Philosophy with a double minor in theology and French. I'm doing that not because it will make me money, but because I love it. I want to use that career to become a foreign ambassador to a French-speaking country. I love the language, too. I understand that having a double major AND a double minor might kill me, but I love these things and I am willing to sacrifice for them. I don't care about the possible low income when I start out because I love those things and I think that, if I am not called to Carmel, this is how God wants me to use my gifts. THIS HAS TO BE YOUR FOCUS: "How can I use my gifts to glorify God for the rest of my life?" Just you discern your main vocation, you have to discern your college and your studies. Pray about it FP. God may be calling you to a crappy job with really low pay. But he will provide if that is where he wants you. Faith.

PhuturePriest

It's not that I'm not willing to be a youth minister and struggle along the financial ropes with my wife and children, it's that I'm expected to be able to provide well for them (And let's not forget women find a man that can provide for them attractive. Making minimum wage is not attractive in the least bit), especially in my family. When I told my mother as a marriage counselor I would make fifty thousand dollars a year, she told me that wasn't very much money and that going to college to get a job with such little pay is a waste of money and time. I'm pressured by my family about this. If I am going to college, I have to get a high paying job doing something that has to do with my major. If I went to college, majored in something and then got a job doing something completely different like has been suggested, my family would be completely disgusted with me.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352997425' post='2510578']If I went to college, majored in something and then got a job doing something completely different like has been suggested, my family would be completely disgusted with me.
[/quote]
We live in an interdisciplinary age. There are very few fields in which only one specific degree is relevant.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352997425' post='2510578']
It's not that I'm not willing to be a youth minister and struggle along the financial ropes with my wife and children, it's that I'm expected to be able to provide well for them (And let's not forget women find a man that can provide for them attractive. Making minimum wage is not attractive in the least bit), especially in my family. When I told my mother as a marriage counselor I would make fifty thousand dollars a year, she told me that wasn't very much money and that going to college to get a job with such little pay is a waste of money and time. I'm pressured by my family about this. If I am going to college, I have to get a high paying job doing something that has to do with my major. If I went to college, majored in something and then got a job doing something completely different like has been suggested, my family would be completely disgusted with me.
[/quote]

If I cared about how much money I made and my family being proud of me, I wouldn't be applying to Carmel this summer. My point is that at some point you can't choose what your parents think is best for you. You have to choose what God KNOWS is best. Because he is God and your parents are fallible human beings.

Basilisa Marie

FP, I don't mean to be rude, but it sounds to me like your family doesn't actually have a good idea of what it's like out in the job market today. Like others have said, those who major in one thing and go find a job in that thing are the [i]minority[/i]. Right now we have to take what we can get. [b]Internships [/b]are better ways to get your foot in the door at a company so you can work your way up. Most employers know that a degree from a liberal arts college isn't really about the major - the major is just what you're interested in and might know one or two things about - the real meat is that a liberal arts degree gives you the tools to think critically, to express yourself articulately, and other things like that that are valuable for a company. And nowadays you can't get any kind of decent-paying job without a college degree. They just don't exist anymore. Take my brother - he's not going to college, but he's working at FedEx while joining the Marine Reserves while he waits to enter the Police Academy. And he'll probably end up going back to get his bachelor's so he can get a few solid promotions down the line.

And at the end of the day...it's your life. :) And I think it'd be hard for your family to be disgusted if you got a degree and a job to support yourself. :)

PhuturePriest

I've been thinking and talking about it, and I think being a high school history teacher would be a lot of fun. I looked up the requirements and everything and it only requires a bachelor's degree with teaching certification. I'm not sure what's involved with getting certified to be a teacher, though. Could someone tell me?

The thing about being a teacher is my mother will not like it at all. It won't be up to her standards in pay and she has an overall dislike of teachers (She thinks they're all snobby and liberal), even though I would plan to teach in a private school, a Catholic one if I could. But I have to think about what will make me happy, not just about what will make my parents happy. Let's just hope this doesn't make them so unhappy that they decide not to help fund college...

Edited by FuturePriest387

Basilisa Marie

In most places you do student teaching and pass a test to get certified in a particular state. I think most people get certified in a couple subjects, even if they like one of them best. A lot of teachers go on to get their Masters degrees, especially if they're at private schools.

Does your mom have any ideas of what, specifically, she [i]does [/i]want you to do? :)

Archaeology cat

Teachers don't make much, but it's doable. My dad swore he wouldn't teach because both his parents did, but it's what he loved. He even tried pre-med because he wanted to provide more for my mom, but it isn't worth it if you hate the job. My dad still loves education and works in educational reform now. Moral: do what you love

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1353000400' post='2510605']
In most places you do student teaching and pass a test to get certified in a particular state. I think most people get certified in a couple subjects, even if they like one of them best. A lot of teachers go on to get their Masters degrees, especially if they're at private schools.

Does your mom have any ideas of what, specifically, she [i]does [/i]want you to do? :)
[/quote]

A lot of teachers may get their Master's degrees, but it is not [i]required [/i]of you to do so. That's the important thing.

But do you major in history with a minor in education, or do you major in education with a minor in history? Or do you major in history and then do a teacher certification thing? I'm confused.

I talked to my mother about it. She doesn't seem to care, so long as I don't mess up and end up not being eligible for teaching like Michael did. Preferably in my mother's world I would get a high paying job of ninety thousand or something like that.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1353006870' post='2510662']

A lot of teachers may get their Master's degrees, but it is not [i]required [/i]of you to do so. That's the important thing.
[/quote]
This sometimes will depend on where you want to teach.