PhuturePriest Posted November 17, 2012 Author Posted November 17, 2012 (edited) Ugh... Since when did looking for a major become so stressful? I'm just going to be a farmer... Edited November 17, 2012 by FuturePriest387
HisChildForever Posted November 17, 2012 Posted November 17, 2012 I've been inspired by that emoticon. Why not be a break dancer??
PhuturePriest Posted November 17, 2012 Author Posted November 17, 2012 [quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1353132870' post='2511704'] I've been inspired by that emoticon. Why not be a break dancer?? [/quote] I'm good at dancing. My teacher says I'm a natural and he wants me to teach classes with him one day. But it's not break dancing, it's ballroom and swing dancing.
Nihil Obstat Posted November 17, 2012 Posted November 17, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1353132830' post='2511702'] Ugh... Since when did looking for a major become so stressful? I'm just going to be a farmer... [/quote] Then when the farm fails, you can convert it into a seasonal entertainment venue called the Holiday Inn. Lots of excellent dance and song numbers will ensue, along with a healthy dose of romantic drama. [img]http://db2.stb.s-msn.com/i/28/872D49449F121E439E33C0F87860.jpg[/img]
PhuturePriest Posted November 17, 2012 Author Posted November 17, 2012 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353132966' post='2511706'] Then when the farm fails, you can convert it into a seasonal entertainment venue called the Holiday Inn. Lots of excellent dance and song numbers will ensue, along with a healthy dose of romantic drama. [img]http://db2.stb.s-msn.com/i/28/872D49449F121E439E33C0F87860.jpg[/img] [/quote] Well, Emily can sing...
Nihil Obstat Posted November 17, 2012 Posted November 17, 2012 (edited) [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1353133449' post='2511709'] Well, Emily can sing... [/quote] And I hear you like to dance. You will probably never be as good as Fred Astaire, but it never hurts to try. Edited November 17, 2012 by Nihil Obstat
PhuturePriest Posted November 17, 2012 Author Posted November 17, 2012 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353133518' post='2511711'] And I hear you like to dance. You will probably never be as good as Fred Astaire, but it never hurts to try. [/quote] I can sing and dance. I'm Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby in one. So when Emily and I date, it will actually be a love triangle. The plot thickens...
the171 Posted November 17, 2012 Posted November 17, 2012 I realize I said international relations earlier.. Affairs. Affairs.
Nihil Obstat Posted November 17, 2012 Posted November 17, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1353133578' post='2511714'] I can sing and dance. I'm Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby in one. So when Emily and I date, it will actually be a love triangle. The plot thickens... [/quote] Fred Astaire could sing too, but he was often criticized for it. I do not think it was that bad. The movie has a love triangle in it too. Or was it a quadrangle? Anyway, it was great. Highly recommended.
PhuturePriest Posted November 17, 2012 Author Posted November 17, 2012 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353134060' post='2511721'] Fred Astaire could sing too, but he was often criticized for it. I do not think it was that bad. The movie has a love triangle in it too. Or was it a quadrangle? Anyway, it was great. Highly recommended. [/quote] I know it has a love triangle in it. I've seen it like, a million times.
Nihil Obstat Posted November 17, 2012 Posted November 17, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1353134218' post='2511723'] I know it has a love triangle in it. I've seen it like, a million times. [/quote] Well why did you not say so in the first place?
PhuturePriest Posted November 17, 2012 Author Posted November 17, 2012 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353135483' post='2511735'] Well why did you not say so in the first place? [/quote] I figured my hints of actually knowing stuff that happens in the movie (Fred Astaire being the dancer, Bing Crosby being the singer, there being a love triangle, saying "Well, Emily can sing...") was a pretty easy way of knowing without me having to tell you. But if I could do that, I would. Working on holidays would be amesome, except you could never do that today. Singing professionally would be nice, though.
Nihil Obstat Posted November 17, 2012 Posted November 17, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1353135811' post='2511736'] I figured my hints of actually knowing stuff that happens in the movie (Fred Astaire being the dancer, Bing Crosby being the singer, there being a love triangle, saying "Well, Emily can sing...") was a pretty easy way of knowing without me having to tell you. But if I could do that, I would. Working on holidays would be amesome, except you could never do that today. Singing professionally would be nice, though. [/quote] I know you said you do not want to get involved in business. What about hotel and resort management? There is actually a major in that area. It may be somewhat more difficult to find a school that offers it, but it definitely exists.
homeschoolmom Posted November 17, 2012 Posted November 17, 2012 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353136333' post='2511742'] I know you said you do not want to get involved in business. What about hotel and resort management? There is actually a major in that area. It may be somewhat more difficult to find a school that offers it, but it definitely exists. [/quote] [url="http://www.uwstout.edu/programs/bshrtm/"]http://www.uwstout.edu/programs/bshrtm/[/url]
Maggyie Posted November 17, 2012 Posted November 17, 2012 Here is a chart that I would have found useful if I had looked at it before going to school. It compares majors with employment rates and salaries. Not employment within their field, but just the ability to get ANY job including ditch digger. [url="http://graphicsweb.wsj.com/documents/NILF1111/#term="]http://graphicsweb.wsj.com/documents/NILF1111/#term=[/url]
PhuturePriest Posted November 17, 2012 Author Posted November 17, 2012 [quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1353163320' post='2511787'] Here is a chart that I would have found useful if I had looked at it before going to school. It compares majors with employment rates and salaries. Not employment within their field, but just the ability to get ANY job including ditch digger. [url="http://graphicsweb.wsj.com/documents/NILF1111/#term="]http://graphicsweb.w...NILF1111/#term=[/url] [/quote] So from what I see, psychologists are either unemployed or are not paid well, and political science majors are making a very livable amount, and their unemployment isn't that bad.
Lilllabettt Posted November 17, 2012 Posted November 17, 2012 (edited) here's the bottom line. If you want to earn decent money, not spend a ton of time in school and be employable, LEARN A TRADE. Electricians, plumbers make good money and are always in demand. If you want to expand your mind, develop critical thinking skills, etc. and get a very base preparation for further prep in a wide variety of fields, then go to college. Except for a very few hard science/technical majors, college is NOT job prep. It is prep for job prep; It is human development. This may be unpopular to point out, but I am reading tons of studies that show how a completed college education changes the way the brain thinks. It does make a difference; while none of these research scientists can pinpoint why or how, they can see the process changes the brain on a fundamental level. But for most people it is NOT job prep - and you can lead an intellectually alive and curious life without it. You need to decide what your priorities are ... and from what I hear you saying, learning a trade may be for you. Edited November 17, 2012 by Lilllabettt
PhuturePriest Posted November 17, 2012 Author Posted November 17, 2012 [quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1353178508' post='2511892'] here's the bottom line. If you want to earn decent money, not spend a ton of time in school and be employable, LEARN A TRADE. Electricians, plumbers make good money and are always in demand. If you want to expand your mind, develop critical thinking skills, etc. and get a very base preparation for further prep in a wide variety of fields, then go to college. Except for a very few hard science/technical majors, college is NOT job prep. It is prep for job prep; It is human development. This may be unpopular to point out, but I am reading tons of studies that show how a completed college education changes the way the brain thinks. It does make a difference; while none of these research scientists can pinpoint why or how, they can see the process changes the brain on a fundamental level. But for most people it is NOT job prep - and you can lead an intellectually alive and curious life without it. You need to decide what your priorities are ... and from what I hear you saying, learning a trade may be for you. [/quote] But I'm not interested in trade schools. I don't like the majors they have to offer. I like things such as reading the classics and, most importantly, performing. I love performing. I guess I'm just not a blue collar guy.
HisChildForever Posted November 17, 2012 Posted November 17, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1353174306' post='2511851'] So from what I see, psychologists are either unemployed or are not paid well, [/quote] You can't BE a psychologist with a BA in Psychology. You can get a job like...working in Human Resources. But no, you don't go from a BA to having a private practice. I bet a lot of the people who fall under the "unemployed" category here are in graduate programs.
Lilllabettt Posted November 17, 2012 Posted November 17, 2012 Okay, well what you are talking about is a liberal arts education. I have one and they are great. The reality is that they are not job prep. So if you want to get one of those you will need to accept that it will not lead you inevitably to a job, and it may not be the last education you need to get for what you eventually do with it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now