An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thanksgiving...?

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Next week, it will be my first ever Thanksgiving. My "host family" (they're pretty much my family while I'm here, but I don't live with them) has invited me to a relative's home for lunch. I anticipate meeting a lot of people, which kind of unnerves an introvert like me :paperbag:

The real issue is though...I think it would be nice to get something for the hostess or for the whole family. However, as I have no idea whatsoever about Thanksgiving I'm stuck on what would be appropriate for the holiday. My host mother (she's more like a friend than a mother, actually) would most likely tell me not to worry about getting anything, but I'd feel bad showing up to someone's home for a meal without some kind of gift.

Any ideas on what I could get? The most I'd be comfortable spending is probably around $25.

Help would be greatly appreciated :)

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Yes Thanksgiving dinner is one of those where host/hostess gifts are not necessary or common. If you do bring something think about something to share with the meal (talk with your host mom on what this might be). Be careful tho some families have strict holiday food traditions. Another idea might to have a small bobble or something from your home country that you could give as a thanks and sharing of cultures.

As another side, Thanksgiving is just a big chance to eat and take naps all day, have good conversation and have a relaxed time with friends and family.

Spem in alium

Thanks everyone. I'm very much looking forward to it :)

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1352987307' post='2510491']
A box of candy or cookies for after the meal would be nice-- but it really is not necessary.
[/quote]

Food seems like a good idea. Everyone likes food.

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' timestamp='1352989172' post='2510504']
Yes Thanksgiving dinner is one of those where host/hostess gifts are not necessary or common. If you do bring something think about something to share with the meal (talk with your host mom on what this might be). Be careful tho some families have strict holiday food traditions. Another idea might to have a small bobble or something from your home country that you could give as a thanks and sharing of cultures.

As another side, Thanksgiving is just a big chance to eat and take naps all day, have good conversation and have a relaxed time with friends and family.
[/quote]

I think it's just the way I was raised. My mother would always give me something to take to a friend's home if I was invited there, and even now I will do so myself if I am invited to a meal or am at their home for some time. I'm not sure how many people do it in my country, but it just feels to me like something I should do. Unfortunately I brought nothing from my country to give (I even thought about it before I left, but competely forgot with all the other things I needed to do). I will talk to her and see if she recommends something. Thank you :)

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1352989764' post='2510508']
Flowers?
[/quote]

That's a good idea :)

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1352989813' post='2510509']
If they drink, wine or pumpkin spice craft beer. Not drink, apple pie or cookies.
[/quote]

They do drink. However, I'm a couple of weeks shy of 21, so won't be able to buy any alcohol. Apple pie and cookies sound quite nice too. Plus they have young children, so I guess food would be something the kids could enjoy too.

Edited by Spem in alium

Spem in alium

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1352992648' post='2510537']
You can never go wrong with food, especially on Thanksgiving.
[/quote]

Excellent :) I'll have a look around and try and get something nice.

Spem in alium

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1352993362' post='2510543']
Flowers or food are always good choices. :) But no matter what you bring, I am pretty sure that they will be impressed.
[/quote]

Thanks! :) I think I will go with either one of these - probably food, as it seems easier for me to get.

I still have no idea what Thanksgiving is really about, so I need to do some more research :) From what I've heard, It sounds like a very interesting holiday. I was told I should eat light a couple of days beforehand, because it's a real food-fest.

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1352993362' post='2510543']
Flowers or food are always good choices. :) But no matter what you bring, I am pretty sure that they will be impressed.
[/quote]
Yes. Flowers would be excellent.

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1352987062' post='2510486']
Next week, it will be my first ever Thanksgiving. My "host family" (they're pretty much my family while I'm here, but I don't live with them) has invited me to a relative's home for lunch. I anticipate meeting a lot of people, which kind of unnerves an introvert like me :paperbag:

The real issue is though...I think it would be nice to get something for the hostess or for the whole family. However, as I have no idea whatsoever about Thanksgiving I'm stuck on what would be appropriate for the holiday. My host mother (she's more like a friend than a mother, actually) would most likely tell me not to worry about getting anything, but I'd feel bad showing up to someone's home for a meal without some kind of gift.

Any ideas on what I could get? The most I'd be comfortable spending is probably around $25.

Help would be greatly appreciated :)
[/quote]
Fashion a meat dish into the shape of a slaughtered Indian, and explain in solemn tones that ultimately, what we should be thankful for is the defeat of the savages who populated the land destined to become the United States.

Maybe dress like a Pilgrim.

Basilisa Marie

To save you time on research:

Thanksgiving's the day we celebrate the day the first Pilgrims had a three-day-long feast with the Native Americans to give thanks for making it through the first winter in the "New World" where a bunch of people died. The Natives taught the Pilgrims how to grow crops and hunt and such, and are basically the reason why the Pilgrims survived. Nevermind that we actually started by raiding their corn, the first Natives who communicated with the Pilgrims were former English slaves, and we would later go on to slaughter them. It's history is a little mixed. :) Today we celebrate Thanksgiving as a day to get together with family and friends, eat a feast of traditional "Thanksgiving" foods, and give thanks to God for all of the blessings in our lives. I hope you like Turkey. :)

I'd go with flowers, or a box of candies. Flowers are probably easier to find. :)

ETA: Don't dress like a pilgrim. A nice clean shirt would do.

Edited by Basilisa Marie

Most families eat turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, some sort of cranberry dish, a few different types of vegetables, breads, and maybe soup or salad. Dessert almost always includes a pumpkin pie or pumpkin roll, which is like a cake with cream cheese filling. Cookies and other pies are common, too. They might also have things to snack on -- crackers and cheese, etc -- while you wait for dinner to be ready.

Today, most American families use the day to gather around with family to celebrate that they all got through another year and to reflect on the good things that occurred in the past year. Some families will say a prayer or go around and have each person say a few things they're thankful for, but not everyone does that.

There's probably going to be football on TV, or a parade. It's the official start of the Christmas season here. LOTS of shopping goes down on Friday -- almost every store has big sales. But it's chaos to go out and do that, as people will camp out the night before, waiting for the doors to open.

It's a really fun, no-stress day. Just enjoy the meal and relax afterward. :)