An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thanksgiving...?

Spem in alium

homeschoolmom

Maybe it's not so much that I'm an introvert as I'm just independent. I want to eat, clean up, put on my sweatpants and read a book. Then later, play with my kids or watch a movie together. Being "on" for a weekend without being able to sneek off and have some privacy-- drives me bonkers.

Spem in alium

You guys :love: I could relate to pretty much everything :) Introverts unite!

I wouldn't call myself shy either, and small talk doesn't bother me much. But I don't enjoy speaking in front of many people. Crowded places and noise tend to drain me, as do most forms of social interaction after a while. I need time to recharge.

Pairing is a great idea. I usually do it when I'm around a lot of people. I have no idea how many will be at Thanksgiving, but I'm planning to stick around my host mum and be open to speaking with others (yes, I have planned, such a dork! :P) I've already met a few of the people who will be there, so that will probably make things less difficult.

Found out that the Black Friday trip is all booked out anyway - people just can't get enough of the mall. And the bus ride costs money too. So what I'm planning to do is go to the local mall on Wednesday - it's smaller, still has interesting stores, the ride is a lot cheaper, and the trip only lasts about five hours. Still a long time to be at a mall (for me, anyway), but loads better than an entire day :)

MissScripture

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1353113826' post='2511532']
You guys :love: I could relate to pretty much everything :) Introverts unite!

I wouldn't call myself shy either, and small talk doesn't bother me much. But I don't enjoy speaking in front of many people. Crowded places and noise tend to drain me, as do most forms of social interaction after a while. I need time to recharge.

Pairing is a great idea. I usually do it when I'm around a lot of people. I have no idea how many will be at Thanksgiving, but I'm planning to stick around my host mum and be open to speaking with others (yes, I have planned, such a dork! :P) I've already met a few of the people who will be there, so that will probably make things less difficult.

Found out that the Black Friday trip is all booked out anyway - people just can't get enough of the mall. And the bus ride costs money too. So what I'm planning to do is go to the local mall on Wednesday - it's smaller, still has interesting stores, the ride is a lot cheaper, and the trip only lasts about five hours. Still a long time to be at a mall (for me, anyway), but loads better than an entire day :)
[/quote]
WAIT! They are taking a bunch of international students to the Mall of America on Black Friday? ARE THESE PEOPLE CRAZY?!? WHAT DO THEY WANT THESE STUDENTS TO THINK OF AMERICANS? DON'T THEY WANT THEM TO LIVE?!?!

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1353114052' post='2511536']
That's terrible economic advice.
[/quote]

Careful, Winchester, they's hunting turkeys this time of year.... :eat:

I have a good friend who is a SUPER Extrovert who called me IN TERROR from a summer trip to the Mall of America. She told me afterwards that she now had some idea of why I feel the way I do about crowds of people.... she had had NO idea.

I have to agree with you, MissS -- what are they THINKING of?

Edited by AnneLine

Spem in alium

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1353113945' post='2511533']
That's a smart idea. It'll be a lot less scary on Wednesday.
[/quote]

I hope so :)

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1353113974' post='2511534']
best thing you can do is buy local. find locally owned stores and shops and make it a point to shop there. :)
[/quote]

I like local stores. I find they're a lot more individual and interesting :)

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1353114703' post='2511541']
WAIT! They are taking a bunch of international students to the Mall of America on Black Friday? ARE THESE PEOPLE CRAZY?!? WHAT DO THEY WANT THESE STUDENTS TO THINK OF AMERICANS? DON'T THEY WANT THEM TO LIVE?!?!
[/quote]

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1353114753' post='2511542']
Careful, Winchester, they's hunting turkeys this time of year.... :eat:

I have a good friend who is a SUPER Extrovert who called me IN TERROR from a summer trip to the Mall of America. She told me afterwards that she now had some idea of why I feel the way I do about crowds of people.... she had had NO idea.

I have to agree with you, MissS -- what are they THINKING of?
[/quote]

I have no idea. Perhaps they have a death wish for all of us :P At any rate, I'm glad I'm avoiding their evil schemes and not going :) I believe they leave campus at 8:30AM and leave from the Mall at 6:30PM.

It's kind of funny though - my family has also been really interested in whether I've gone to the Mall of America (and especially in me going on Black Friday). Maybe they're plotting something too :P

Edited by Spem in alium

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1353113974' post='2511534']
best thing you can do is buy local. find locally owned stores and shops and make it a point to shop there. :)
[/quote]

[url="http://www.sba.gov/saturday"]Small Business Saturday[/url]

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1353114703' post='2511541']
[/quote]

The most I can say for the MoA is that I don't hate it like most malls. But I try not to go there too often.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353016780' post='2510793']
What the floop, guys. Thanksgiving was weeks ago now. :|
[/quote]
On Canadian Thanksgiving, I thanked God for Canadians.

[quote name='Light and Truth' timestamp='1353180248' post='2511903']
On Canadian Thanksgiving, I thanked God for Canadians.
[/quote]
Hopefully your prayer had a small hint of sarcasm.

Spem in alium

'Allo pham :) On Sunday I spoke to my host mum and mentioned the idea of giving a gift. I didn't really want to go against what the family normally does, so thought it would be best if I made sure with her. She said a gift wasn't necessary but that it's okay if I want to give one (so I'll get it tomorrow, hopefully). And she gave me a good idea of how many people will be at the Thanksgiving meal...she's in charge of bringing buns, and she's getting enough to feed forty guests...WOW. :eek: Sure is going to be a party!

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1353429620' post='2513694']
'Allo pham :) On Sunday I spoke to my host mum and mentioned the idea of giving a gift. I didn't really want to go against what the family normally does, so thought it would be best if I made sure with her. She said a gift wasn't necessary but that it's okay if I want to give one (so I'll get it tomorrow, hopefully). And she gave me a good idea of how many people will be at the Thanksgiving meal...she's in charge of bringing buns, and she's getting enough to feed forty guests...WOW. :eek: Sure is going to be a party!
[/quote]
Looks like you are in for a real treat and will experience why Thanksgiving is so many peoples' favorite holiday. Enjoy!

Be prepared to express what you are thankful for. Many families have a tradition of each person at the table express what he are thankful for.

Spem in alium

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1353430573' post='2513700']
Looks like you are in for a real treat and will experience why Thanksgiving is so many peoples' favorite holiday. Enjoy!

Be prepared to express what you are thankful for. Many families have a tradition of each person at the table express what he are thankful for.
[/quote]

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to it :)

I'll have a think about it, though I do have an idea of what I will say if asked :)

Edited by Spem in alium