An Old School Catholic Message Board

Honeymoon Ideas?

zabbazooey

Okay so, we've planned things the way we wanted. We are having a SMALL wedding at the county courthouse followed by lunch at a nice but affordable restaurant. Parents are paying for practically everything since we are skimping on a lot of 'traditional' wedding stuff. We both wanted a nice honeymoon instead.

We have all of our savings for other issues that arise, etc. So we have ~$2,500 or less to spend.

We would like to do something fun and amazing that is not available in the Midwest. I am having serious surgery a few weeks or so after. I want to have a BLAST! :)

We were looking at all-inclusive resorts in Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Dominican Republic. We like this because at most of the properties, we can eat, drink, do several activities (some are an additional charge), whatever and it's included. We have packages including airfare AND hotel for 7 nights (yes this may sound excessive, but we have never been on a vacation before that did not involve our parents or other relatives, and again - yucky surgery) for around $2,000-2,500 for both of us.

That is with a mediocre "okay" place. There were cheaper options and, quite frankly, the pictures and reviews did them no justice. 

We want something we can't get - a nice beach (OCEAN or bay beach, no lakes lol), pampering, fun, maybe some snorkeling!

We don't need 5 stars - just the nicest we can comfortably afford in our budget :)

What say you, PM?! I want a memorable, fun honeymoon with my (almost) hubby!

(side edit: When I say my parents are paying for practically everything, my mom bought my dress, my mom and his mom/stepdad are buying dinner for 30 people at a decent restaurant, and his dad is paying for a $200 photographer. After we gutted our wedding plans, our parents were happy to step in and help.)

Edited by zabbazooey

PhuturePriest

I seriously recommend a Disney cruise. You can take a seven day Disney cruise and have a completely awesome time for I believe $2,500 as a package deal. You can go to the Caribbean, or Alaska, or all kinds of awesome places. If/when I go on a honeymoon, it will hopefully be on a Disney cruise.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/reservations/booking

Archaeology cat

We honeymooned at the Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach and loved it. We got married a week before Christmas and spent Christmas there.

Edited by Archaeology cat

Cruises are awesome. :) Although there are potentially several 'hidden' costs that you would not necessarily encounter at an all-inclusive resort.

I'm an avid snorkeler. The water is the only place I don't feel like a cripple. I've been to all those places you listed. Carribean is much better for snorkelling than the pacific. If you go to Vallarta, make sure you pick a place on the south side of the bay. The north side is newer and fancier, but the beach isn't as nice because of the run off from the mountains can cloud the water.

If you want to snorkel, go to playa and take the Xel Ha option. It's like swimming in the World's largest aquarium. A bit touristy now I'm told, but incredible. If you go Cancun, take the day trip to Isles Mujeres. Just stay out of the clubs too late. I know that's the fun part of Cancun, but lots of people get in trouble when drunk there.

The problem I always had in the DR is the electric grid. It used to go off all the time. If you go, pick a place on the Carribean side. The water is clearer. If you can, take a boat tour to one of the islands, like Catalina. Great snorkelling. I'd be careful in the DR. Don't go anywhere alone and don't stray off the main tourist areas. Take a throw down wallet. Get one from a thrift store and put some of those fake credit cards in it with a couple of dollars. If you get robbed, don't look in their face, hand them the fake, and let them run away with it.

Winnie, it's scary.  I was thinking a room, a bed, and room service....  maybe a pretty picture for the window....

It's not scary that you're brilliant.

We went to Hawaii and instead of getting a hotel or a resort we rented a studio condo room that was privately owned for about $115 a night (summer is off-peak season for Hawaii since the whales are in Alaska during summer and swim back to Hawaii for winter). Advantage of a studio rather than a hotel is you have a kitchen you can cook in so you can have whatever you want to eat. Want a steak dinner with a bottle of wine? No problem, and it doesn't cost $75 either. The studio was beautiful and had a lanai (same thing as a deck) that overlooked the ocean. The condo had a private beach that you could hang out on and snorkel at.

Not sure what tickets to Hawaii for 2 look like from the midwest, but even if you choose a different place, you might want to look at renting a vacation studio or 1 bedroom condo for the week. I know Florida has them and I'm sure other vacation get aways would have the same thing. We love love loved having our own separate place where we could chill out after a fun day exploring or where we could have a lazy day at our rental and we didn't have to rely on restaraunts for food.

PhuturePriest

Not sure what tickets to Hawaii for 2 look like from the midwest, but even if you choose a different place, you might want to look at renting a vacation studio or 1 bedroom condo for the week. I know Florida has them and I'm sure other vacation get aways would have the same thing. We love love loved having our own separate place where we could chill out after a fun day exploring or where we could have a lazy day at our rental and we didn't have to rely on restaraunts for food.

So am I to understand you two slept in separate rooms? :blink: