An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Wear A Veil Or Headcovering In Church?

kg94

Do you wear a headcovering/veil in Church?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It has never been a Catholic custom to veil full-time, so how can we 'bring it back'? There's nothing to bring back. A tradition of women veiling their heads to pray? Yes, sure. Veiling their heads to go out grocery shopping? No, not unless there is a tabernacle lurking somewhere behind the tinned sardine cans.

I worry when young people start to focus this much on veils (i.e. visible signs of being special and 'different'). I did it myself, when I was about nineteen or twenty, and it was due to an immature preoccupation with externals that faded as I grew in my prayer life. The giving of a veil during a religious profession is a very profound moment, and the novice will have learned the symbolism of what she is receiving and why. This isn't the case for most laywomen and it simply isn't meant for us.

I wasn't trying to say that it was a Catholic custom to veil full-time. Seeing as I grew up with Religious and work with them and spend a lot of time with them, not to mention the discussions I have with them and my SD, I do know the significance of wearing a veil and it isn't just a custom or tradition to me. I would also like to comment on the fact that you mentioned women wearing veils while praying, well, you might be interested to know that if you consecrate your life to God and always strive to live in union with Jesus, then by keeping intentions in your heart, you can become a living holocaust, a living prayer for those intentions you know and don't know. Many who you do not know will benefit from your prayer. Think about it. Your whole life could be a prayer, in everything you think, do and say, for the glory of God, it could be a prayer for all your brothers and sisters in Christ. I veil almost full time b/c it's a calling I've had since young and have discerned very carefully for several years before I actually started veiling. I know not everyone does discern that, but I certainly did, as with other things I have always very carefully discerned, and am discerning. As for bringing back veiling, I said that to mean that more people should be more aware of the true significance of women wearing veils, not just think they are trying to act 'holier than thou' or that they are subservient to men, or anything of the like.

I don't think you can really say what is "meant" for anyone, lest you fall into means of casting useless judgements. Bear in mind that you should keep both eyes focused on God, not one on God and one on your neighbour. If someone wears a veil, they will have their own reasons for doing so, and it is up to them to discern whether that is "for them" or not. After all, everything you think, do and say is between you and God, and no one else. You shouldn't think that people don't understand the significance, and be careful not to generalise, especially with young people - I can tell you that I am a young person myself and am known to have a profound, and spiritually deep understanding many different aspects of the faith and don't take lightly to issues surrounding the faith. Those are not the words of myself, but rather of others who have told me so.

Have a blessed Lenten season (Ash Weds is tomorrow, for those of you who let that date slip out of your minds...)

Prayers and Blessings as always.

LadyOfSorrows

I'm a big fan of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK3A23yVGAg

I also like her really profound explanation about why one may veil during the Mass. I've been praying about veiling at Mass and Adoration for about a year now but finally decided to jump into it during this season of Lent. One of the reasons I held off on veiling is because I do feel like it's kind of odd to do so with a group that doesn't particularly do it...I guess there was this sense of pride and not really wanting to be "looked at," but truly felt like it would be fruitful for me personally. When I attended orthodox synagogue as a youngin' we were always told to wear something on our head (often I would forget and would be forced to pin a paper napkin onto my hair). :) I was going to start with the EF form and adoration only as a way to avoid sticking out but rather blend in and not be noticed, but after further prayer I realized that the Mass is still the Mass and we're still engaging in that intimate joining and communion with God even in the Novus Ordo...

But still to try and blend in I bought a sheer black one instead of white or ivory (it blends in with my hair better....)

Interesting that someone said in Europe people don't veil. This isn't actually true - In England a minority veil for usual mass but I'd say about two thirds veil for an NV mass in Latin or the EF. It maybe higher in cathedrals and parishes that tend to attract, or have a reputation, for traditional customs. But I've never seen any disharmony against those women who don't, some of whom are very devout in all other respects. I do notice though that veiling is more usual in bigger towns and metropolitan cities, compared to the country or sleepy areas. Maybe its because we are used to seeing loads of Muslim women, across generations, wearing the veil. I know its seen as fairly normative in big cities and it often poses the embarrassing questions of why Catholics dropped the practice. In church aspects seen as sacred are veiled i.e tabernacle and altar.

Sometimes, it often seems to go, that those in hard agreement with the trends, social or otherwise, between the late 50's and early 80's tend to have retired to these suburb places and are maybe less happy to see such customs brought to life. I went to school/church growing up with a generation bored stiff and cynical of priests, and polyester nuns, influenced heavily in liberal liturgy, and other similar ideas. I still have awkward memories of 'shine Jesus shine'. :saint2:  Turned many off for life but I think those who stayed wanted to change things and make a big difference. Maybe that's why there's some back pushing, as some call it, to reclaim aspects that were taken from our collective past.

Edited by Zippy

Always to the power of always. At the conference I went to last year, one of the speakers talked about the Mass. She said that the Mass, the communion rite especially, is a wedding. If Mass is a wedding and we all are brides, why shouldn't we veil? Added to that, I realized that women are required to wear veils in the Vatican. If we veil at the Vatican in the presence of the Pope, why not veil at regular Mass in the presence of God? 

Plus, it's just good practice for my nunhood. :nun:

false. not required to wear a chapel veil in St. Peter's/the Vatican. I took my chapel veil to Rome but never even ended up wearing it because no one (okay maybe a few women had chapel veils, but i see more women veiling at my home parish) was wearing a veil. I went to a papal Mass - few veils!

i lived in Europe in college and traveled to eleven countries and saw fewer women wearing chapel veils at churches in Europe than I've seen in the us!

Because, I am frequently interrupted while praying, I am considering to wear a scarf head covering when praying in the church. This would be an outward sign I am praying and should not be disturbed. Equate to Hermits wearing a cowl. 'Nough said so I wont rant.

• 3 weeks later...
MarysLittleFlower

I didn't always wear headcoverings in church... however I began to feel very drawn to it at one point. When I went to the Latin Mass, I was so encouraged by the women there who wore headcoverings, I felt peace with this and it was just so Mary-like :) I got a mantilla when I lived near an EF parish. Now, I don't live near an EF parish anymore, though I love to go whenever I can to one in the city... but I wear a mantilla whenever I visit the EF. For my home parish, which is very large and OF, - I feel nervous to do it... I've been wearing hats, tried scarves... I already fear that I stand out cause I wear a longer skirt and I want to kneel for Communion as well, if I can. So.. I'm afraid of looking like "that girl who is trying to stand out" but I'm not, I just want to please Jesus with this. It's helped me to read this thread though :) if anyone has any advice that would be great...

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

Renee the Nunnabe

Recently, I began wearing a headcovering.  

I decided to start wearing headcoverings most of the time in public, during Lent, in order to work on my vanity. It's been a very interesting experience, and to be honest, I've grown to like certain aspects of it.  

When Lent is over, my headcovering shall probably be reserved primarily to use during church and prayer.  

It's gotten to the point where there's almost a sense of nakedness when I'm without the headcovering.  

• 9 months later...

Actually, I'm quite happy this thread was resurrected. I have a beautiful black mantilla veil with silver lace lining, plus some silver in the lace of the actual veil.

yzy6y4yt.jpg

It's never been worn, and it's worth around $25. Hand made. It's lovely, but I won't use it, so I'd love for it to go to someone who would use it, or if you know someone who needs a veil you can give it to them for Christmas. I'd prefer it go to someone who "needs" it vs "wants" it, but as long as it gets used, that's all that matters to me. PM me if you're interested, I will send it to you, totally free of charge.

I've seen a lot of women veiled at OLAMS Benediction and Devotion service! I wore a black veil at my father's funeral mass and at graveside. I was the only one wearing it! ;(

Spem in alium

My grandmother gave me a veil-ish scarf for my birthday, black with some silver in it. I put it on my head straight away. She knew what I wanted it for, but when I tried it on my brother said "Why are you wearing it on your head? It's a scarf!"  :hehe2: 

I can't wait till I get to Adoration next :)