HisChildForever Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 I love Pope Francis - I have no complaints.
PhuturePriest Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 and every time you post it, i'll quote it. just so it can be seen, over and over. There's yet another beautiful meme to serve our purposes of defeating the forces of ridiculousness:
Apotheoun Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 Oh bother! That is most certainly NOT the type of practice that those who cherish actual Catholic tradition mean when they use the word tradition. Very true, nor should one call a practice that is condemned by the Church Fathers in the ecumenical and particular synods as an excommunicable offense a "tradition" of the Church. The Pedalion (i.e., the collection of conciliar canons of the Eastern Churches) condemns willful castration and any other form of voluntary mutilation with excommunication for a layman and deposition from the clerical state for bishops, priests, deacons, and ministers of the lower orders.
Nihil Obstat Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 Very true, nor should one call a practice that is condemned by the Church Fathers in the ecumenical and particular synods as an excommunicable offense a "tradition" of the Church. The Pedalion (i.e., the collection of conciliar canons of the Eastern Churches) condemns willful castration and any other form of voluntary mutilation with excommunication for a layman and deposition from the clerical state for bishops, priests, deacons, and ministers of the lower orders. I wonder how castration ever came to be accepted by Catholics. It seems pretty clear to me that intentionally mutilating oneself is a very grave crime against one's own body. Excommunication seems like the logical response to something like that.
Anastasia13 Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 This thread still needs more Monty Python references.
Apotheoun Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 I wonder how castration ever came to be accepted by Catholics. It seems pretty clear to me that intentionally mutilating oneself is a very grave crime against one's own body. Excommunication seems like the logical response to something like that. I don't know, but I think it had to do with the desire for high pitched male voices in music. Orthodoxy tends to like deep sounding male voices, just watch some of the Russian Orthodox liturgical videos on Youtube.
Lil Red Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 There's yet another beautiful meme to serve our purposes of defeating the forces of ridiculousness: :like:
Nihil Obstat Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 I don't know, but I think it had to do with the desire for high pitched male voices in music. Orthodoxy tends to like deep sounding male voices, just watch some of the Russian Orthodox liturgical videos on Youtube. I just cannot get enough basso profundo.
Basilisa Marie Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 I don't know, but I think it had to do with the desire for high pitched male voices in music. Orthodoxy tends to like deep sounding male voices, just watch some of the Russian Orthodox liturgical videos on Youtube. Two words: Pie Jesu.
Roamin Catholic Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 CATHOLIC VS CATHOLIC DEBATE - A post or comment that results in doctrinal debates that might cause scandal among the faithful. Any negative criticism of religious or the current Magisterium will result in deletion, and a warning from the moderators. This includes but is not limited to criticism of the Novus Ordo mass, The Traditional Latin Mass, or our Holy Father. ------------------- That said, I'm now combing the phorums for all the croutons I didn't have time to deal with earlier. KNOCK IT OFF. :love:
Slappo Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 public displays of humility Sorry but isn't that an oximoron? Humility isn't an exterior display but an interior disposition. For all we know deep in the heart of someone who appears to be humble he is in fact very prideful. (intentionally not using an example so don't make this sentence about the Pope)
MIKolbe Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 For all we know deep in the heart of someone who appears to be humble he is in fact very prideful. (intentionally not using an example so don't make this sentence about the Pope) I guess I don't know this. :( would you characterize Christ this way? To me, he appeared humble.
franciscanheart Posted March 19, 2013 Author Posted March 19, 2013 Sorry but isn't that an oximoron? Humility isn't an exterior display but an interior disposition. For all we know deep in the heart of someone who appears to be humble he is in fact very prideful. (intentionally not using an example so don't make this sentence about the Pope)In some cases, perhaps. In others, not.
Basilisa Marie Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 Sorry but isn't that an oximoron? Humility isn't an exterior display but an interior disposition. For all we know deep in the heart of someone who appears to be humble he is in fact very prideful. (intentionally not using an example so don't make this sentence about the Pope) It's not an oxymoron in the way that I mean it. I think most of us can tell different between true humility and false humility. What I'm thinking about specifically is having our leaders make a conscious effort to live humbly, simply, etc, and because they're so much in the public eye that it'll be impossible for people to NOT see it. I'm not saying all kinds of fancy stuffs are bad, not at all! I think they can be used to bring glory to God. But it seems to me that right now the Church needs strong reminders that we are all supposed to be humble, and seeing our leaders give us a good example is a good thing.
dominicansoul Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 [video]http://youtu.be/UQ7N9lM1OMA[/video] How could anyone disapprove of this man as our new Pope just because he doesn't wear red shoes??? I think he's teaching us some very important lessons on where our focus should be---Jesus Christ! (Sadly, from what we've witnessed from various conversations and blogs, it seems to me that we tend to make things more important than Jesus Christ himself!)
Roamin Catholic Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 [video]http://youtu.be/UQ7N9lM1OMA[/video] How could anyone disapprove of this man as our new Pope just because he doesn't wear red shoes??? I think he's teaching us some very important lessons on where our focus should be---Jesus Christ! (Sadly, from what we've witnessed from various conversations and blogs, it seems to me that we tend to make things more important than Jesus Christ himself!) That was my favorite moment from this morning.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now