An Old School Catholic Message Board

Resumes And Cover Letters

Basilisa Marie

Basilisa Marie

So I'm in the midst of applying for every parish-type, Catholic-looking job I can find that looks like it might like me so I can start paying off student loans in a year and, ya know, feed myself.  My problem is that although I've got a resume, I've never tailored it for a church job before - so does anyone know how I should do that?  How far back to do I go; do I leave off the burger flipping? I, ugh, also haven't written a real cover letter since high school, so does anyone know how that works?  

Honestly I feel pretty stupid about being so insecure about this, but since there are probably a lot of people out there doing job hunt things maybe this thread will be helpful to more than just me.  

Brother Adam

Yes, leave off burger flipping. Pastors want to know about your experience and any education related to the job you are applying for. Volunteer experience is great if it is related and can really help you land a job if you do not otherwise have another connection. Another thing is to seriously keep your resume to one page. Unless you have a PhD after your name, or extensive speaking & publishing experience you are probably telling me more than I want to know, and your resume goes in the "pile" (and even then most of that information goes on a curriculum vitae). When I am interviewing candidates I find that more often than not I am equally as interested in their personality as I am their answers the questions of our interview team. I know you are putting your best foot forward, so I am trying to read the subtext and learn about who you are. I am also looking for you to ask penetrating questions about the job so I know you are seriously interested and are trying to find out if it is a good fit.

Your resume is kind of like a summary of your work experience where your cover letter is where you talk about how much you WANT the position you are applying for as well as a smaller summary of your resume. Basically use your cover letter to talk about your good work ethic, your interest in the position, and highlight what spots on your resume really show that youre the right fit for the job!

let_go_let_God

A cover letter is essentially the sales pitch of yourself to the parish. While being transparent and honest, give a summary as to why you want this position and why you would be a fit to work in the parish.

Also to add onto what BroAdam said, when including relevant information on yourself it may also be good to include relevant coursework that you have taken in respect to the job. For example I told my employer I had a BS in Mathematics, but that I had also taken the following theology and education courses to show my competency.

God bless and good luck-

LGLG

I actually have experience from the other side--being the person who must wade through tons of resumes to find a good candidate. Here's some tips.

• Keep it short. I can't stress this enough. Anything over one page is too long.
  • Be clear, concise and to the point.
  • Check and double check spelling and grammar. Any mistake is usually an automatic "next".
  • Do not use overly used words and phrases like "fast learning, dynamic, self-motivated, team player".
  • Be professional, but show your personality. - Employers are hiring YOU, not your qualifications.

let_go_let_God

One way is through the format that you present your resume. A resume shouldn't be one size font and plain looking, but how you utilize visual aspects of your resume can show that.

Another are the "action" words that you utilize to show your personal skills. If you are stating something in your resume, there must be something that you are passionate about and the words you use to describe yourself or your skills will show your personality.

God bless-

LGLG

How do you show personality?

Instead of saying, "dynamic team-player", I would say something like, "I like people. People like me... most of the time."

Basically, instead of using cliches, say the same thing in your own personality. Adding a "P.S." at the end is also a way to throw in a little bit. Write like you talk.

Not if you're trying to get a job at a diocese.

That is unduly skeptical.

Edited by Winchester

let_go_let_God

Mention your lack of heretical beliefs.

Not if you're trying to get a job at a diocese.

Usually these questions are for the interview... at least in my experience.

(That was a killer of an interview though)

God bless-

LGLG

Autumn Dusk

If you graduated college go to your alum office and speak with career services.  99% of schools will help you out, if they don't, hoot and hollor till they do.

Anastasia13

Another thing is to seriously keep your resume to one page. Unless you have a PhD after your name, or extensive speaking & publishing experience you are probably telling me more than I want to know, and your resume goes in the "pile" (and even then most of that information goes on a curriculum vitae).

Generally speaking, is it better to see more student jobs that are only somewhat related or more organizational memberships/student leadership and education other than the basic BS and related AS degrees?

I'm bad at interviews. I have a habit of interrogating the premise of the interviewers questions and rambling in my response.