An Old School Catholic Message Board

Resumes And Cover Letters

Basilisa Marie

Instead of saying, "dynamic team-player", I would say something like, "I like people. People like me... most of the time."

Basically, instead of using cliches, say the same thing in your own personality. Adding a "P.S." at the end is also a way to throw in a little bit. Write like you talk.

I would  never suggest you write "People like me...most of the time." on a resume. That might come off as unprofessional.   :idontknow:

You might not get a young man like Dust...you might get a haggardly old lady reading your resume who thinks you're being serious!!

I think the best place for sarcasm like that would in DURING the interview if the person seems like they can pick up on it.

The cover letter would be another place to showcase personality in your matter of writing and what qualities you specifically highlight. 

Edited by CrossCuT

I'm bad at interviews. I have a habit of interrogating the premise of the interviewers questions and rambling in my response.

Imagine that.

• Do not use overly used words and phrases like "fast learning, dynamic, self-motivated, team player".

On this note, don't use any subjective language. Rather than say you're a fast learner ("fast" is subjective), tell them you (for example) took on full responsibilities at your last job in 2 months, compared to the usual 6 months. That shows you're a fast learner, rather than just tells. Know what I mean?

I edited resumes and cover letters for about four years before coming back to grad school. I'd happily have a look at yours (for free) if you can wait till I graduate in May.

fides' Jack

I would  never suggest you write "People like me...most of the time." on a resume. That might come off as unprofessional.   :idontknow:

You might not get a young man like Dust...you might get a haggardly old lady reading your resume who thinks you're being serious!!

I think the best place for sarcasm like that would in DURING the interview if the person seems like they can pick up on it.

The cover letter would be another place to showcase personality in your matter of writing and what qualities you specifically highlight. 

I completely agree with this.

KnightofChrist

I've found having clear and to the point bullet points of your job duties at previous places of employment helps.

For example on my résumé I have something like this...

Name of Company, City, State Year Started-Year Ended

Visual Designer
• Lead role in the design of print, identity, packaging, signs, multimedia, video, web design
• Trained, supervised and provided art direction for other designers
• Managed multiple, concurrent projects in different stages
• Demonstrated ability to learn and use new technology

• Demonstrated marketing skills, professional communication with clients and working with diverse groups of people

Edited by KnightofChrist

• 2 weeks later...
Basilisa Marie

Thanks everyone - you've been quite helpful to me. :)  

I've got another question: When a job posting asks for references, do they mean contact information or full-on letters? If they don't specify a number, is three pretty standard? Do employers actually contact references? 

I would not want to work for a place that is that professional, because if they haven't gone out of business yet, they soon will.

Thanks everyone - you've been quite helpful to me. :)

I've got another question: When a job posting asks for references, do they mean contact information or full-on letters? If they don't specify a number, is three pretty standard? Do employers actually contact references? 

They mean contact usually, Sometimes they will ask for reference letters but they usually will be upfront and right away. Three is pretty standard. I have never seen it any fewer. They do contact references. Just about every job I have had or applied for has called them. Make sure they are quality I.e. instructors, advisors, former employers. Make sure thier contact info is up to date. Let your references know that they are a reference because no one like a surprise. 

Anastasia13

Instead of saying, "dynamic team-player", I would say something like, "I like people. People like me... most of the time."

Basically, instead of using cliches, say the same thing in your own personality. Adding a "P.S." at the end is also a way to throw in a little bit. Write like you talk.

People actually add a P.S.?

Do you still stick to the basic:

I am interested in X job with you for Y reason(s).

A, B, and C are my qualifications.

I would like to talk with you about X. Please contact me for an interview. I look forward to speaking with you.

Signed...

?

Not a lot of people add a P.S. but it's a great way to add your personality. Obviously, if you are applying to a stiff company with a bunch of old white executives reading your resume, then personality may not fly. Most companies are not like that anymore. And like I said above, if a company disqualifies you for showing your personality, then it's not going to be a good place to work, imho... I'm just speaking from experience, being the one who has read through hundreds of resumes--and my boss and my boss's boss all read them in pretty much the same way as me--generic, bland, boring resumes were bypassed just as quickly as unqualified ones.

I can't stress this enough--people hire people, not qualifications. If your resume doesn't reflect you as a person, why would anybody want to talk to you?

OnlySunshine

So I'm in the midst of applying for every parish-type, Catholic-looking job I can find that looks like it might like me so I can start paying off student loans in a year and, ya know, feed myself.  My problem is that although I've got a resume, I've never tailored it for a church job before - so does anyone know how I should do that?  How far back to do I go; do I leave off the burger flipping? I, ugh, also haven't written a real cover letter since high school, so does anyone know how that works?  

Honestly I feel pretty stupid about being so insecure about this, but since there are probably a lot of people out there doing job hunt things maybe this thread will be helpful to more than just me.  

It sounds like you should be using a functional resume not chronological.  If you don't have experience in the type of jobs you are applying for, then you list any relevant skills FIRST and list employment at the bottom (if you have any).  Functional resumes focus more on what you can bring to the job rather than any work experience.  I just applied for a parish job for which I don't have any experience but I have skills that I can apply towards the job as well as college courses.  I listed all these first and THEN employment and education.  This is a good example:

http://www.worksmart.ca.gov/tips_resume_functional.html

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2012/09/11/3-reasons-youd-need-to-use-a-functional-resume

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Anastasia13

I think expectations are probably different across different industries.

Coverletters or resumes? Can you give some different examples? Like non-profit, health care, manufacturing...

• 4 weeks later...
GeorgiiMichael

When writing the "Objective" how should one phrase that? I'm just confused on the whole subject of the "Objective" portion of resumes. Is it even necessary? How is it be helpful to employers?

Additionally, I have a long and complicated employment history. Should I include every job I've had? What about the month long, temp maintenance job at a retreat house with heretical religious sisters? That'll be good for the Assistant Facilities Manager position at a parish I'm looking at, but not so much for the Youth Minister positions at the myriad of other parishes. If I include EVERYTHING, I'll probably run out of room on a single page, even shrinking the font down to 11 or 10 point. Especially when I need to include pertinent volunteer experience where I didn't actually get paid.

Thoughts?