An Old School Catholic Message Board

Resumes And Cover Letters

Basilisa Marie

Basilisa Marie

I'm still a job-hunting n00b, but I'm leaving off the objective portion - partly because I'm including cover letters with my resumes, and partly because I think it's super dumb. :)

GeorgiiMichael

I'm still a job-hunting n00b, but I'm leaving off the objective portion - partly because I'm including cover letters with my resumes, and partly because I think it's super dumb. :)

I feel it's pretty dumb too, but if cover letters are pretty standard, and the objective portion is pretty standard, I feel like somehow there's a difference between the two that makes it at least helpful to have both.

I would not want to work for a place that is that professional, because if they haven't gone out of business yet, they soon will.

:cold:

Edited by CrossCuT

CatholicsAreKewl

I'm bad at interviews. I have a habit of interrogating the premise of the interviewers questions and rambling in my response.

I DO THIS TOO! It's hard for me to talk about the interview. I want to talk about what's going in on Somalia. 

SuscipeMeDomine

When writing the "Objective" how should one phrase that? I'm just confused on the whole subject of the "Objective" portion of resumes. Is it even necessary? How is it be helpful to employers?

In my experience, objectives on resumes are just silly.  If the ad says the job is "a busy public service position in a non-profit organization" darned if every objective isn't "to obtain a busy public service position in a non-profit organization."  It doesn't tell the potential employer anything.

One thing I would stress is that if the job calls for qualifications A, B, and C, mention those in your cover letter.  When we have lots of applications -- which is usually -- we look for people who meet the qualifications we've set.  Even  if someone doesn't meet them all, but mentions that they've done A and B and have an interest in C, or have taken a class in C, or observed C, or SOMETHING with C, we're much more likely to consider them.  If all they talk about is how much they love A and how they would love a job working with A, we usually figure that they don't actually know anything about B or C.

TheresaThoma

One idea to keep in mind with formatting a resume is in past experience/jobs use a "problem, solution, outcome" format. What was the issue/need? How did you meet that need (and perhaps went beyond that need)? And what was the outcome (more efficency, more customers, an innovative new program etc)? This keeps it from being one long laundry list of random skills. 

Also think about skills that you may have gained that are outside the job description. For example when I worked as a courtesy clerk I learned how to do money orders and Western Union transactions. That is something a potential employer wouldn't know, they may think I just bagged groceries and rounded up carts.