An Old School Catholic Message Board

It's Time

Guest Allie

Guest Allie

So I'm flying to my family for Easter Weekend.  My folks will pick me up at BWI tomorrow and we are going out to dinner after Holy Thursday Liturgy.  My mom already knows that I am discerning with the Poor Clares and has become a bit more ok with it---thank you Holy Spirit and Pope Francis-- but no one else does.  We agreed that I would tell Dad at dinner.  He and I are going to the Good Friday Service at the National Shrine so we'll have time alone to talk.  Please pray. This is going to hurt him.  My sibs and their families will be over for Easter and that's when I'll tell them.  We are very close.  I dread this with all my heart but it's time.  I can't just sneak off to visit the Sisters.  Please keep us all in your prayers this Holy Week.

Pax et bonum,

Allie

Good luck Allie! When I told my elderly mother that I was discerning...she told me I was having a midlife crisis!! Lol In my humble opinion..it's better to be honest with our loved ones..

domenica_therese

You are in my prayers. I will have to tell my little brother soon, and I know it will be hard on him because he is not old enough to understand it as well as my parents (who are incredibly supportive). 

So I'm flying to my family for Easter Weekend.  My folks will pick me up at BWI tomorrow and we are going out to dinner after Holy Thursday Liturgy.  My mom already knows that I am discerning with the Poor Clares and has become a bit more ok with it---thank you Holy Spirit and Pope Francis-- but no one else does.  We agreed that I would tell Dad at dinner.  He and I are going to the Good Friday Service at the National Shrine so we'll have time alone to talk.  Please pray. This is going to hurt him.  My sibs and their families will be over for Easter and that's when I'll tell them.  We are very close.  I dread this with all my heart but it's time.  I can't just sneak off to visit the Sisters.  Please keep us all in your prayers this Holy Week.

Pax et bonum,

Allie

Oh how I remember telling my family...I dreaded it too.  Every subsequent conversation about it was just horribly uncomfortable.  We don't really talk about it anymore except for the awkward moments when I have to tell them I'm going on a retreat.  Like you said, it's not possible to sneak off to visit an order.

Not to mention, after I had told them and discerned for awhile, I stopped discerning religious life and told them that too.  So when I started discerning it again, I had to tell them all over again...

I hope that it goes well for you and ask the Holy Spirit to give you the right words...that's what I did and it worked!  My mom cried but I still felt that I told her in the gentlest, kindest way I could.  God Bless!

Not to mention, after I had told them and discerned for awhile, I stopped discerning religious life and told them that too.  So when I started discerning it again, I had to tell them all over again...

That's why I'm not telling a soul until I've filled out the application papers and am 100% in. I've had enough twists and turns in my life.

I'm with you, Allie (in prayer). :-)

ToJesusMyHeart

it's not possible to sneak off to visit an order.

Unless you're in college and financially stable. ;)

But you should tell your parents. 

Unless you're in college and financially stable. ;)

But you should tell your parents. 

Haha I'm actually out of college and financially stable but still only live 10 minutes away from my parents so they might notice if I'm not answering my phone or not at home all weekend.   :hehe2:

That's why I'm not telling a soul until I've filled out the application papers and am 100% in. I've had enough twists and turns in my life.

I'm with you, Allie (in prayer). :-)

You have a point, although I imagine it will be tough for your family and friends if they aren't given more advanced notice.  They'll probably wish that they knew that it was their last Christmas with you or the last time they got to celebrate your birthday with you, etc.  It'll be hard on them no matter what but if they know, they might want to reconsider how they spend their time with you before you enter. Just a thought.   :saint2:

You have a point, although I imagine it will be tough for your family and friends if they aren't given more advanced notice.  They'll probably wish that they knew that it was their last Christmas with you or the last time they got to celebrate your birthday with you, etc.  It'll be hard on them no matter what but if they know, they might want to reconsider how they spend their time with you before you enter. Just a thought.   :saint2:

Nah. When you've moved as much as I have, it's just normal for people to disappear. You expect it. ;-)

maximillion

Oh Allie, many many prayers for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and that your family can all be happy for you, even if they find it hard for themselves.

elizabeth09

You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you tell your dad.

If sneak over, someone might miss you.