An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Papist And Mikolbe And Anyone Born Before 1976 Thread (2)

Papist

homeschoolmom

Raise your hand if you thought his first name was spelled "Evil" not "Evel"... It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that it was "Evel" to parallel "Knievel" and not to be evil.... :evil:

Charo.jpg

Do you remember the Charo on the Carol Burnett Show?  And the skit with Carol Burnett being a "Charo"?

homeschoolmom

The kids became the over cautious soccer moms...go figure.

I think there are a couple of reasons for this:

1. There became this idea that if something happens to a child, there must be someone to blame-- usually the parents. Illnesses, accidents, kids getting lost, etc, things that were once just normal occurrences now had to be 100% preventable or someone's going to blame the parents. If something *is* preventable, it must be prevented at all costs-- no matter the unintended consequences.

2. Over-saturation of media. When we were kids, the "medical dramas" and "crime shows" were Quincy, ME and Hill Street Blues. Now there's CSI and Law and Order SVU which put in our minds that children are in danger-- a LOT! Plus the addition of 24 hour news coverage that run and rerun the same stories non-stop making parents feel that there is more danger than there really is.