An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church/saint Teaching And Modesty

MarysLittleFlower

Why?

Papist, do you think the native people pictured are exhibitionists? Do you think the man pictured chooses to wear a loincloth instead of something else he could wear, because the loincloth is sexually provocative?

On the other hand, do you think the Hollywood starlet pictured is an exhibitionist? Do you think she chooses to wear a long-sleeved, long-hemmed dress slit up her thigh because it is sexually provocative?

That's why.

Guest Allie

What's your point? Those being modest does not imply that they are the only form of modest swimwear. 

Just wondering if something that draws so much attention is modest?

Edited by Allie

Just wondering if something that draws so much attention is modest?

Drawing attention is not in and of itself immodest. 

I wouldn't wear it. I'm all for modesty, but I would also like to wear something that is cute. IMHO that isn't the cutest.

Papist, do you think the native people pictured are exhibitionists? Do you think the man pictured chooses to wear a loincloth instead of something else he could wear, because the loincloth is sexually provocative?

On the other hand, do you think the Hollywood starlet pictured is an exhibitionist? Do you think she chooses to wear a long-sleeved, long-hemmed dress slit up her thigh because it is sexually provocative?

That's why.

Why other cultures wear what they wear, I don't know. I don't see it relevant to the culture we live in. Hence, the why. No one is saying the less you wear the more immodest you are, and the more you wear the more modest you are.

And to say it is common sense is not much. I am sure most people think their thinking is common sense. 

Why other cultures wear what they wear, I don't know. I don't see it relevant to the culture we live in. Hence, the why. No one is saying the less you wear the more immodest you are, and the more you wear the more modest you are.

And to say it is common sense is not much. I am sure most people think their thinking is common sense. 

I think the point that is being made is that what constitutes "modest dress" is not concrete and you cannot break it down to "this is what is modest across all time and context". 

I think the point that is being made is that what constitutes "modest dress" is not concrete and you cannot break it down to "this is what is modest across all time and context". 

And that is what I am trying to understand. How did it go from totally covered suits (men and women) to dental floss bikinis. 

No one here is advocating for bikinis.

Didn't say so. Referring to our culture, which bikinis are the norm. 

HisChildForever

I wouldn't wear it. I'm all for modesty, but I would also like to wear something that is cute. IMHO that isn't the cutest.

Be honest...it looks ridic.

Didn't say so. Referring to our culture, which bikinis are the norm. 

I still don't see the relevence, since no-one is advocating that in Western culture bikinis are modest. 

Although I would argue that in Brazil (for example) they are because there we have a very different cultural attitude towards the human body.