An Old School Catholic Message Board

Boston Bombing News Thread

Era Might

dominicansoul

A Moment of Silence:

For about seven minutes beginning at 2:50 p.m. ET, the City of Boston fell silent.  Investigators formed a semi-circle around the site of one the blasts and bowed their heads.

The New York Stock Exchange, the House of Representatives in Washington and the Massachusetts State House also paused to remember the three killed and the more than 200 injured. 

The historic Peabody Square clock, near where the 8-year-old Martin Richard lived, was frozen at 2:50 p.m. During the moment of silence, it was restarted.

---from NPR

This was the scene yesterday before London's marathon:

london-marathon-moment-of-silence-for-bo

dominicansoul

wow.  people need to realize what they do to others' characters using social media can destroy them... calumny is a mortal sin

in this case, it seems there was a great deal of speculation, so I'm not sure if Reddit understood the seriousness of the accusations being floated on their website...

I hope they find out what happened to him, and I hope his poor parents find peace in all this...

homeschoolmom

wow.  people need to realize what they do to others' characters using social media can destroy them... calumny is a mortal sin

in this case, it seems there was a great deal of speculation, so I'm not sure if Reddit understood the seriousness of the accusations being floated on their website...

I hope they find out what happened to him, and I hope his poor parents find peace in all this...

I didn't read the article very carefully, but couldn't it be that something happened to him before the bombing? It said he was last seen Mar. 15. It's possible that his death had absolutely nothing to do with the accusations at all, isn't it?-- Possibly happening before the marathon. It still doesn't relieve his family of the pain associated with the accusations, though. And yes, we do need to be mindful of what we say.

Definitely possible it was nothing to do with the bombing or any retaliation for it.  Either way, sad that they found his body in the river, especially given the villification that had occurred.  I really hope it's not related to it at all. :(

Another article, don't remember seeing it here, Faith at the Finish Line in Boston.

"He came over, and said, 'You're a priest, I need to talk to someone, I need to talk,' and he was able to pour out some of the story of what had happened," Father Carzon said. "Then there was an off-duty firefighter who was there as a spectator, and he, too, got pushed out of the perimeter, and he ended up here to pray. There was a feeling of helplessness we had when we couldn't get close. But doing the little that we could—putting out a table with water and fruit, being there—I realize how much that 'little' was able to do."

In light of the devastation in Boston, the denial of access to clergy is a trifling thing, and it might even have been an individual's error. (The Boston Police Department did not respond to a request for comment on its policy regarding clergy at the scenes of emergencies.)

But it is a poignant irony that Martin Richard, the 8-year-old boy who died on Boylston Street, was a Catholic who had received his first Communion just last year. As Martin lay dying, priests were only yards away, beyond the police tape, unable to reach him to administer last rites—a sacrament that, to Catholics, bears enormous significance.

Nihil Obstat

I hope it is unrelated, but given the circumstances it sounds very much like it could have been suicide.

I didn't read the article very carefully, but couldn't it be that something happened to him before the bombing? It said he was last seen Mar. 15. It's possible that his death had absolutely nothing to do with the accusations at all, isn't it?-- Possibly happening before the marathon. It still doesn't relieve his family of the pain associated with the accusations, though. And yes, we do need to be mindful of what we say.

Yes, I read an article more than a month ago about his disappearance, and comments were made about him suffering depression. The most recent articles have not indicated his time of death, but the fact that they had to use dental records to identify him makes it sound like he may have been dead for a while. I suppose we will not know until the information from the autopsy is released.

dominicansoul

three more students have been arrested for helping the brothers out after the bombing... police have about a dozen "persons of interest..." 

the wife of the deceased bomber didn't want his body released to her

female DNA was found on a bomb frament...

I keep praying there will be no more deadly incidents, especially when it seems there are more people involved than just the two...

I saw this on 171's facebook. It's awful.

http://www.catholicculture.org/commentary/the-city-gates.cfm?id=561

Maybe the author could stop being such a narcissistic sack of poo long enough to think the situation through critically.  There is a huge difference between Catholic Priests fiving last rights to health firefighters who are waiting to go into the towers and a bunch of guys with no medical experience running around a bomb scene with people bleeding out and getting in the way whole medical professionals try to save lives and limbs.  What a piece of poo.  Seriously.  He's comparing this to 'Catholics need not apply"?  Give me a flooping break.