An Old School Catholic Message Board

Embroidered Scapulars On Etsy

AuthorOfMyLife

AuthorOfMyLife

Ooh they're so beautiful! :)

Thank you! I must admit I thought of you when I named the shop! (I had been a lurker on here a long time before I registered, and I remember reading your updates--I hope you are doing well).

AuthorOfMyLife, I've just ordered it. :) Thank you for making it available to international buyers. I'm happy to be a customer and I wish you a lot of success with these.

As I said, I don't know much about the practice of wearing a scapular other than as part of a religious habit.  It just looked as if it might have a sort of pocket into which a prayer that one wanted kept close to the heart might be inserted, that's all.  Thanks for the clarification.

Antigonos, prayers are not inserted inside the scapular, but there are often certain prayers associated with particular scapulars that you say when you put the scapular on.

TheresaThoma

Those are beautiful! My current one still has a good while before it wears out but I will definitely keep this in mind for the future or as gifts.

AuthorOfMyLife

Those are gorgeous! I'm curious, what kind of thread are you using?

Sorry, EmilyAnn--I didn't see your question earlier. I am using 100% Cotton DMC Embroidery Floss. It is beautiful thread, very easy to use, and sturdy, and keeps its shine even if it gets tangled and has to be unraveled. Here's what they say on their website about it:

• 100% long staple Egyptian cotton
  • Double mercerized for brilliant sheen.
  • Comprised of 6 size 25 easily separated strands
  • 100% colorfast and fade resistant
  • 454 solid colors, 18 variegated colors

http://www.dmc-usa.com/Products/Needlework-Threads/Embroidery-Threads/Cotton-Embroidery-Floss.aspx?technique=embroidery

They have other types of thread, too, but I haven't tried them.

Still deciding.... ;) Maybe one done with a Monstrance (in gold) for my PCPA sister's gift. ;)

Ooo...that sounds like a fun challenge! DMC offers a floss/thread with a metallic gold color (a polyester metallic and viscose blend instead of pure cotton).

Sorry, EmilyAnn--I didn't see your question earlier. I am using 100% Cotton DMC Embroidery Floss. It is beautiful thread, very easy to use, and sturdy, and keeps its shine even if it gets tangled and has to be unraveled. Here's what they say on their website about it:

http://www.dmc-usa.com/Products/Needlework-Threads/Embroidery-Threads/Cotton-Embroidery-Floss.aspx?technique=embroidery

Ooo I love DMC. I'm an embroiderer too. :) Are you using all 6 strands?

The DMC pearl cotton is really good too, well worth trying out. 

They are beautiful, and way too expensive

Delicate hand embroidery like that takes a lot of time and effort. I would charge the same amount, most embroiderers don't even make minimum wage from their work. The pricing is not unreasonable for what it is.

AuthorOfMyLife

They are beautiful, and way too expensive

I'm sorry you think they are too expensive. However, as EmilyAnn said (and thank you for that!), hand embroidery takes a lot of thought, time, and care--and even love. The price I chose for the scapulars currently in the shop was selected after a discussion with friends, and we decided that I had to make the price worth the time put into each scapular or, as much as I love making them, I would be wasting my time.

In addition, I have made it clear on my "welcome" page and other pages, that I am very willing to make a custom scapular that is simpler and cheaper if anyone is interested. Just because it would be specially wouldn't make it more expensive if the design was simple.

Ooo I love DMC. I'm an embroiderer too. :) Are you using all 6 strands?

The DMC pearl cotton is really good too, well worth trying out. 

I was really lucky, because with my first experiments with embroidery I was able to use DMC thread from Wal-Mart! I thought it would be a lower-quality thread because it came from Wal-Mart, so I was thrilled when I found out that DMC is considered to be one of the best-quality thread providers out there.

I use six strands for some of the stitches, but I also split them up and use 3, 4, 2, or even 1 (for tiny details)! For example, the Immaculate Heart-wreathing roses are usually made of 6 strands for the center knot and 3 strands for the other knots. The pearl cotton does look gorgeous, and I'd love to try it in the future.

I was really lucky, because with my first experiments with embroidery I was able to use DMC thread from Wal-Mart! I thought it would be a lower-quality thread because it came from Wal-Mart, so I was thrilled when I found out that DMC is considered to be one of the best-quality thread providers out there.

I use six strands for some of the stitches, but I also split them up and use 3, 4, 2, or even 1 (for tiny details)! For example, the Immaculate Heart-wreathing roses are usually made of 6 strands for the center knot and 3 strands for the other knots. The pearl cotton does look gorgeous, and I'd love to try it in the future.

Wow that is lucky! I've used a few threads and DMC really is the best. 

I've never tried working with all six strands, so I was curious. The most I tend to use is 2! Pearl cotton is definitely worth trying, it's so easy to use...and much less expensive than the silk I'm currently working with!

I use ONLY DMC floss and threads for both my embroidery and my crocheted kippot (kippah, plural is kippot, is the Hebrew for "yarmulke" or skullcap) because the colors are completely washable, even in hot water, and never fade or unravel. This is true even for their metallic threads. If you are making these scapulars in large numbers you might consider using their balls of #8 Perle Coton rather than the embroidery floss -- it gives a slighly more "crisp" appearance, is easier to work with, and a double strand is about the same thickness as three strands of floss. Each ball is a bit more expensive than the floss, but you get more "bang for the buck" as the ball has many more meters than a package of floss.

Ooo...that sounds like a fun challenge! DMC offers a floss/thread with a metallic gold color (a polyester metallic and viscose blend instead of pure cotton).

Ooo...that sounds like a fun challenge! DMC offers a floss/thread with a metallic gold color (a polyester metallic and viscose blend instead of pure cotton).[/quote][/quote]

An excellent online source for craft materials in general, and knitting/crocheting/embroidery materials in particular is www.herrschners.com . They ship everywhere, btw.