PhuturePriest Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 I don't understand why that's so upsetting. :blink: I'm Latina and not from Central or South America and I don't mind... Some people just want to be offended, I guess. I don't mind that it groups Europeans together, even though there are Europeans who look different. My New Zealand friend automatically knew I was German simply by looking at me. I know people are British simply by looking at them. It's nothing to be offended over.
PhuturePriest Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 I cannot be the only African American on Phatmass. Oh please. I've seen your pasty white arms.
Winchester Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 Oh please. I've seen your pasty white arms. Africa is a continent, not a color.
PhuturePriest Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 Africa is a continent, not a color. Thanks for the geography lesson, whitey.
CrossCuT Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 Today I sat outside for lunch! I wanted to turn a pretty sun kissed golden color but instead I turned pink
jeffboom Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 Thanks for the geography lesson, whitey. I'm sorry but...you seem a little white yourself.
CatholicsAreKewl Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 (edited) Maybe a little too white. :think: Edited May 8, 2013 by CatholicsAreKewl
PhuturePriest Posted May 8, 2013 Posted May 8, 2013 I'm sorry but...you seem a little white yourself. That's the joy of calling someone "whitey". Plus, Germans are not always neon-white. For instance: He's completely German, but not super white. That's because we Germans are awesome like that.
Adrestia Posted May 9, 2013 Posted May 9, 2013 That's the joy of calling someone "whitey". Plus, Germans are not always neon-white. For instance: He's completely German, but not super white. That's because we Germans are amesome like that. Can you post someone who is "super white" so I know what the standard is? Just kidding, I really don't care. The tiny subset of genes that give physical characteristics are given way too much importance.
jeffboom Posted May 9, 2013 Posted May 9, 2013 That's the joy of calling someone "whitey". Plus, Germans are not always neon-white. For instance: He's completely German, but not super white. That's because we Germans are amesome like that. I'm sorry, but Cardinal R is super white.
PhuturePriest Posted May 9, 2013 Posted May 9, 2013 I'm sorry, but Cardinal R is super white. That's not white. That's tan. This is white:
jeffboom Posted May 9, 2013 Posted May 9, 2013 That's not white. That's tan. This is white: Cardinal Ratzinger is a white guy with a tan. This ^ is some random (not tan) white girl.
CatholicsAreKewl Posted May 9, 2013 Posted May 9, 2013 That girl is whiter than mayonnaise. Someone should lock her in a tanning bed for a month.
Anastasia13 Posted May 9, 2013 Posted May 9, 2013 Africa is a continent, not a color. I completely agree, but society does not always view things that way. http://www.diversityinc.com/ask-the-white-guy/ask-the-white-guy-is-a-white-person-from-africa-an-african-american/
Thy Geekdom Come Posted May 9, 2013 Posted May 9, 2013 I cannot be the only African American on Phatmass. I've been on Phatmass for 10 years (with a few breaks), and I never knew you were African American. Perhaps others aren't talking about it much, either.
cmaD2006 Posted May 9, 2013 Posted May 9, 2013 Some people just want to be offended, I guess. No ... just a point I made. I would have never made such a division. But hey this is enough -- I think it's time to go elsewhere.
PhuturePriest Posted May 9, 2013 Posted May 9, 2013 I've been on Phatmass for 10 years (with a few breaks), and I never knew you were African American. Perhaps others aren't talking about it much, either. He's not.
Vincent Vega Posted May 10, 2013 Posted May 10, 2013 Just kidding, I really don't care. This is one of the best parts of any post here that I've ever read. To speak to the bit about what Germans look like, "Germany" - in a form that would be commonly recognized by both contemporary people and people of that time - didn't exist until about 1814, with the rise of the German Confederation (and even then, the people would have considered themselves Bavaria/Austrian/Prussian/whatever local jurisdiction they fell under). These divisions, however, go much further back, and encapsulate the ethnic features found throughout Germany by the peoples who inhabited/invaded the land at different times, most notably during the Völkerwanderung, c. AD 1 - 500, during which time, modern Germany saw the residence of: -the Huns (from eastern Europe (Asia before that) who moved through the central and southern parts of modern Germany) -the Visigoths (from modern Greece, moved through southern parts of modern Gemany and neighboring regions, before continuing to Iberia) -the Ostrogoths (from eastern Europe, through central Germany, to central Italy) -the Franks (who originated in northern Germany, and moved westward through northern France) And this is to say nothing of the original Germanic tribes, who came from Scandinavia, or the Gothic tribes that they themselves replaced. In any case, attempting to pidgeonhole a country as large and diverse as Germany as having a typical look when they're the product of the genetic material of people who looked like they were from any combination of upper Asia, Greece, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, and many, many more is - at best - a futile effort. Now, one might be able to say that there is a "Swabian", "Bavarian", "Franconian", etc. look, due to the more specific/localized nature of those demonyms, but given that people have still continued to move around and intermarry in the time since those tribes left there marks some 1000-1500 years ago - particularly in the last several decades - even that exercise becomes meaningless very quickly.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now