An Old School Catholic Message Board

Since We've Been Talking About Lgbtq Stuff A Lot Lately...

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

I'm glad I could help clarify.

I don't know where that belief starts but it's ignorant. (See MissyP's post above for a kinder explanation than I've given so far.) I say ignorant with no malice intended; I mean it for what it is.

Yes. I am ignorant. Thanks.

MarysLittleFlower

You changed your entire post. :|

Also, simply because some people don't want to believe that their homosexuality is ingrained in their being doesn't mean that they aren't homosexual or gay. Whatever ignorant connotation you want to associate with a faithful, celibate Catholic who tells you they're gay is your own business, but I'll tell you that the croutons you've said in this thread is completely unhelpful in spreading love, compassion and Truth.

huh? I didn't change it.. I don't understand what you mean. The only thing I changed in that post was add the quotation marks later on.....

If a celibate Catholic told me they're gay, I'd assume they mean it in the way that they don't act on that.

I was saying how some with SSA don't actually like being called "gay" and to them it's NOT charitable, but annoying, because they don't want to be associated with the "gay movement", OR define their whole being by this.  Maybe they see it as a temptation they want to overcome, and try to see themselves not in terms of that but in terms of them being children of God...  instead of labelling themselves as "gay", especially if these desires is not something they like or prefer, because they're trying to live chastely. I've actually heard people talk about this. I don't think it's uncharitable. Yes sexuality is important but maybe they just don't want to associate themselves with the "gay movement".

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

franciscanheart

Just becuase I use a word differently than you, FH, you don't have to call me "stupid". Oh well. I posted a quote explaining what I meant, from a website about SSA. Not all people with SSA want to be called "gay". That's what I meant.

:huh: I didn't call you stupid.

I think the website you posted is laughable. "Hi, I'm attracted to people of the same sex [otherwise known as homosexual] but I don't want to be called gay [aka homosexual] because I'm attempting to distance myself from popular understanding of people just like me."

Um, sorry: You're gay. AND THAT'S OKAY.

I'm not saying it's wrong for someone to prefer the "SSA" descriptor over gay or queer; I'm just pointing out that they mean the same thing.

franciscanheart

Yes. I am ignorant. Thanks.

ig·no·rant
/ˈignərənt/
Adjective
Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular: "ignorant of astronomy".
Synonyms
illiterate - nescient - unlettered - unlearned

I simply suggested you were ignorant of the meaning of gay vs homosexual vs SSA, etc. You aren't anymore though, so HOORAY! :like:

CatholicsAreKewl

Good point. But there needs to be a term for the inclination. Perhaps 'gay' is not the ideal, but it is short and easy. I don't care. I just want to know the term(s) meaning.

Lol, when we figure that one out, let me know what the tendency to act "straight" is called. 

MarysLittleFlower

OK, and that's fine. People should be called what makes them feel comfortable.

All we're saying is that if you look them up in the dictionary, they mean the same thing. :) And that most people use them interchangeably.

yes, that is true. I was trying to think apart from the dictionary.

:huh: I didn't call you stupid.

I think the website you posted is laughable. "Hi, I'm attracted to people of the same sex [otherwise known as homosexual] but I don't want to be called gay [aka homosexual] because I'm attempting to distance myself from popular understanding of people just like me."

Um, sorry: You're gay. AND THAT'S OKAY.

I'm not saying it's wrong for someone to prefer the "SSA" descriptor over gay or queer; I'm just pointing out that they mean the same thing.

Ok, you said "I don't deal well with stupid".

I don't think it's laughable. If I had an attraction to something that went against God's law, I don't think I'd want to base my self-identity around that either. I'd see that as a temptation to overcome. And there actually was a time when I thought I was gay when I was younger so I know what it's like to wonder about that.

I don't understand why you say my post is "uncharitable" and then you say that how some people with SSA want to call themselves is, "laughable"...

I'm done with this thread.

My mind's a bit of a freak. I may just be a little bit more screwed up than the rest of you, idk, there are some things about my psychosexual history that I'm not willing to admit underneath the safe blanket of anonymity of the internets. Let's just say sexual thoughts about the same sex were probably the tamer explorations of my base desires.

I also seem to have obsessive thoughts that are not really of the most pleasant variety. I don't choose to identify myself by these compulsions of thought, by every desire I encounter sexual or otherwise. They're usually in flux and over time I have the ability to somewhat shape them although I cannot execute 100% control over my body and my mind. Some things are broken. Some things will be broken until about three minutes before I die, such is life. I have faith that Christ will perfect me in time.

What I find really irritating and also terribly sad is the inherent mistrust we have with homosexuals loving each other. Like a deep and intimate or romantic love for a person of the same sex is just BOUND to end up in someone getting laid or, that deep down they both just want to bed each other so therefore the love between them is defiled. I think here even good Catholics have fallen for the old trappings of Freudian psychology, that deep down we just want to screw and survive and all of these higher feelings of "love" are simply masks for what is deep down a dark and disordered desire.

But I see multiple problems with this, mainly that there's an underlying belief that marital, sexual love is somehow the highest most intimate form of love. God forbid you get to close to someone of the same sex because that obviously means you want to get laid. It's like eros has procured a monopoly on passion and intimacy and I just don't by that.

Before this gets into tl;dr territory (lol like it hasn't already), I'll stop here.

KnightofChrist

ho·mo·sex·u·al  

/ˌhōməˈsekSHo͞oəl/

Adjective
(of a person) Sexually attracted to people of one's own sex.

Noun
A person who is sexually attracted to people of their own sex.

How many same sex temptations can a male or female have before you would label them a homosexual or gay? One? Two? More than that? Would you label someone that does not want to be attracted to members of the same sex but is still tempted (against their will) to have sexual relations with a member of the same sex?

franciscanheart

yes, that is true. I was trying to think apart from the dictionary.
Ok, you said "I don't deal well with stupid".

I don't think it's laughable. If I had an attraction to something that went against God's law, I don't think I'd want to base my self-identity around that either. I'd see that as a temptation to overcome. And there actually was a time when I thought I was gay when I was younger so I know what it's like to wonder about that.

I don't understand why you say my post is "uncharitable" and then you say that how some people with SSA want to call themselves is, "laughable"...

I'm done with this thread.

I don't understand why "homosexual" is any more offensive than "heterosexual". They are just words. They describe something that IS.

How many same sex temptations can a male or female have before you would label them a homosexual or gay? One? Two? More than that? Would you label someone that does not want to be attracted to members of the same sex but is still tempted (against their will) to have sexual relations with a member of the same sex?

Typically, it's based on what the majority of your feelings are. But sexuality is fluid. Most people are not 100 percent heterosexual or homosexual.

And just because you don't want to be attracted to men doesn't mean you aren't a homosexual. I might wish for all the world that I weren't white, for example, but I am. It is what it is.

Homosexuality is just an attribute of a person. They can either deny it and pretend it doesn't exist, or acknowledge it as a part of their unique quirks. But, be aware: acknowledging homosexuality does not have to mean "go out and have sex and march in parades."

Basilisa Marie

Many educated people believe sexuality is actually a spectrum, and few people are actually completely gay and completely straight.  I have a friend who is so straight that he has a hard time telling if other guys are objectively attractive, but has no problem with the same question for women.  I think that shows further proof that what matters is your actions, not your desires.  

There's no quantitative definition for what makes you gay, no magic number of attractions.  You either know or you don't, it's only something you can know for yourself.  People know that they're heterosexual, right? You know it intrinsically about yourself.  You didn't have some magic number of attractions to the opposite sex to make it happen.  The only person who can actually label a person is that person.  

And honestly, if we can't trust gay people to have friendships with members of the same sex, why the heck do we trust heterosexual people with friendships of the opposite sex? Because if that's the case then I need to make some phone calls to my dude friends, because it's suddenly become an automatic occasion of sin to hang with them. 

MarysLittleFlower

My mind's a bit of a freak. I may just be a little bit more screwed up than the rest of you, idk, there are some things about my psychosexual history that I'm not willing to admit underneath the safe blanket of anonymity of the internets. Let's just say sexual thoughts about the same sex were probably the tamer explorations of my base desires.

I also seem to have obsessive thoughts that are not really of the most pleasant variety. I don't choose to identify myself by these compulsions of thought, by every desire I encounter sexual or otherwise. They're usually in flux and over time I have the ability to somewhat shape them although I cannot execute 100% control over my body and my mind. Some things are broken. Some things will be broken until about three minutes before I die, such is life. I have faith that Christ will perfect me in time.

What I find really irritating and also terribly sad is the inherent mistrust we have with homosexuals loving each other. Like a deep and intimate or romantic love for a person of the same sex is just BOUND to end up in someone getting laid or, that deep down they both just want to bed each other so therefore the love between them is defiled. I think here even good Catholics have fallen for the old trappings of Freudian psychology, that deep down we just want to screw and survive and all of these higher feelings of "love" are simply masks for what is deep down a dark and disordered desire.

But I see multiple problems with this, mainly that there's an underlying belief that marital, sexual love is somehow the highest most intimate form of love. God forbid you get to close to someone of the same sex because that obviously means you want to get laid. It's like eros has procured a monopoly on passion and intimacy and I just don't by that.

Before this gets into tl;dr territory (lol like it hasn't already), I'll stop here.

I have obsessive thoughts too and I wouldn't want to base my whole identity about that. It's something I struggle with but I don't want to say that the core meaning of my being is - having obsessive thoughts.

Regarding what you said with homosexuals loving one another... I'm not sure if it's "Freudian".. I mean if they love one another as friends, no I don't think they just want something sexual. Friendship is something else. But "romantic" love is ordered towards procreation - that's why it's there, for procreation and the family - which explains why homosexual acts are intrinsincally disordered.... it's not "Freudian" or something like "getting laid" - it's targeted towards marriage and family - for homosexuals though, since it's an attraction to the same sex, that doesn't work out and so that's why the Church says not to act on such desires or consent to them.

I absolutely don't believe that marital love is the highest or most intimate form of love. The highest is charity, and God's love. ANd when I was talking about getting close to someone of the same sex, I meant for those with SSA, and getting close not as in friendship, but romantically.

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

When it comes to identity I don't know if anyone's on the same page but, I don't like to identify myself by sexual orientation because I don't think it's a real or solid thing. That means I don't call myself gay or bi, but I also can't honestly call myself straight. That's one reason I'm not so open with people in my life about this, because half of them would be sad that I'm not "normal" and the other half would insist I embrace it as part of who I am as if there is something innate within that marks me as a bit off center. 

I guess I disagree with FH on this aspect. I would really hate people to tell me "you're gay and it's fine," I'm more than OK with sharing all the goings on inside my skull, but if people were to impose a label on me I'd get a little defensive and perhaps pissed off. And of course there are many who would interpret that as "repression" which would only be more irritating.

So it IS much easier to keep to myself especially people who have not experienced it but are somehow experts on it. Did you know there are people who think that you must either be "gay" or "straight" and "bi" just means you're probably gay, but you're just confused about it now. Many people believe that, and I'm not good at dealing with those people.

Hey Papist,

To offer you some perspective ... if someone were to ask you, you'd say you were heterosexual, or colloquially "straight." But it doesn't mean you are currently sexually active with women. It just denotes your attraction to them.

The colloquial term for homosexual is "gay" or "lesbian." But there are celibate lesbians and sexually active lesbians. The name does not (and will never) imply that the person is currently in a relationship with someone of the same sex. It also does not reference whether or not they're sexually active. Someone who says "I am gay" can very well be celibate. It's just a description, like "tall" or "Chinese" or "Catholic."

At the same time, if I say I'm bisexual, it doesn't mean I am currently sexually active with one or both genders. It just means I am attracted to both.

I hope that helps clarify this stuff for you.

I'm not stupid. I understand the explanation. I asked for clarity b/c something didn't seem right in this thread. Seemed people were talking apples and oranges. :wall:

And for the record, I treat people gay or not as a person, not by their inclinations...whatever they are. However, when I become aware of their sinful behavior, I must address it. 

MarysLittleFlower

And honestly, if we can't trust gay people to have friendships with members of the same sex, why the heck do we trust heterosexual people with friendships of the opposite sex? Because if that's the case then I need to make some phone calls to my dude friends, because it's suddenly become an automatic occasion of sin to hang with them. 

I didn't mean friendships but romantic relationships......