An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Carmelite's Day

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

There is no date but it was a custom book made immediately after Vatican II.

People told me that this prayer was being used before Vatican II.

VeniJesuAmorMi

Is this from a book published by the Seattle Carmel? When was it published? Is it from the "Vade Mecum"? Yes, this is wonderful indeed! :pray:

The Vade Mecum!! :heart:  It is a wonderful little treasure. Depending on the community, the postulants and novices will use this very much (and take it just about everywhere with them!) probably more than the professed Sisters, as they are still learning the prayers that are used throughout the day, and in some communities most of the prayers will be in Latin or Spanish. I'm only speaking of the communities I'm familiar with and they use mostly Latin for the prayers including the Divine Office and the rest of the prayers some Spanish and English. Maybe the ones who have mitigated a little use more English now? There is always so much to learn about Carmel. Its really beautiful isn't? :)

Edited by VeniJesuAmorMi

I have a question. When the reader gives out the subject for mental prayer, how is this subject " found " or identified? Is it from the daily readings or Gospel of the day (or feast day) or is there another means of giving the community the subject?

Also, does anybody know when this was written? I followed the link but cannot seem to find a date. Thanks.

Chiquitunga

I have a question. When the reader gives out the subject for mental prayer, how is this subject " found " or identified? Is it from the daily readings or Gospel of the day (or feast day) or is there another means of giving the community the subject?

Several Carmels I know of read the meditations from Divine Intimacy (there are two a day) before both times of Mental Prayer. Here you can follow the discussion in this thread about it, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/129496-carmelite-customs/?p=2592589  Lots of Carmelite threads these days! :smile3:

Also, does anybody know when this was written? I followed the link but cannot seem to find a date. Thanks.

You mean "The Carmelite's Day" here?  I'm not sure myself..

SNJM, it seems to be cut & pasted from an on-line copy of a book

http://www.stteresamargaret.org/DSP/DSP.htm#Contents

IMPRIMATUR: Stephen J. Donahue, D. D. Adm., New York

Date: March 24, 1939.

Copyright by DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL

Printed in U. S. A. by DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL
Old Lake Shore Road, DERBY, N. Y.

Many of the very traditional communities have undoubtedly made some adaptations; some updating can be done with no loss of fidelity, in my opinion.  Others will want to keep as much to these guidelines as they can, and there is room for both, I think.  

With all respect, my only concern on these being posted is that many/most traditional communities don't want their faces on the Internet; I would suspect really don't like all their customs being put on the internet, either. 

I wonder if we are being at all disrespectful to them?   It kind of feels like we might be pulling off the veils they want to wear...  anyone else concerned about this?  

(No disrespect intended to those who posted them, but I'm beginning to be a little uncomfortable with this...)

Chiquitunga

SNJM, it seems to be cut & pasted from an on-line copy of a book

http://www.stteresamargaret.org/DSP/DSP.htm#Contents

IMPRIMATUR: Stephen J. Donahue, D. D. Adm., New York

Date: March 24, 1939.

Copyright by DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL

Printed in U. S. A. by DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL
Old Lake Shore Road, DERBY, N. Y.

Many of the very traditional communities have undoubtedly made some adaptations; some updating can be done with no loss of fidelity, in my opinion.  Others will want to keep as much to these guidelines as they can, and there is room for both, I think.  

With all respect, my only concern on these being posted is that many/most traditional communities don't want their faces on the Internet; I would suspect really don't like all their customs being put on the internet, either. 

I wonder if we are being at all disrespectful to them?   It kind of feels like we might be pulling off the veils they want to wear...  anyone else concerned about this?  

(No disrespect intended to those who posted them, but I'm beginning to be a little uncomfortable with this...)

A good point. I often feel bad myself that I have mentioned names of specific Carmels here on PM and different things about them :blush: I've tried to a certain extent to not post too many details, but still. I don't know if this is helpful to those truly discerning this life or not. 

But yeah, regarding all of their customs and Constitutions and all.. it's true, these are not available for the public to purchase, so they probably wouldn't want them posted online. Although it may be different if it's older documents. I don't know. I suppose one could ask them.

"The Carmelite's Day" chapter from that St. Teresa Margaret book is online already on that site of course. Things like that I think are helpful to be available out there for free, since not everyone can afford to buy lots of books and all. Personally, I think to a certain extent knowing a little at least about these customs would have helped me before I entered to appreciate some of the history and beauty behind it ... although on the other hand, it can be bad to learn too much, because you don't want to be like "yes, I've already heard of that" "I know that" etc. Definitely not!! You really have to be like a child, totally docile, humble, formable.. just learning everything as they teach you. And each community has its own way.. so you don't want to be comparing them, or wondering how they do things in another. 

So anyway, it's a good point :like:

Chiquitunga

Another thought though about hiddenness and over-exposure, etc... it's a balancing act of course, but many even very traditional (1990, etc.) Carmels now have websites and pictures of their communities online...

Rubio, Venezuela ~ http://carmelitasrubio.blogspot.com/

Écija ~ http://carmelitasecija.es.tl/ & http://www.youtube.com/user/carmelitasecija  

Iron Mountain ~ http://holycrosscarmel.com/

I really love it when they don't show their faces and remain really hidden of course... although at the same time I have a great love and respect for each of the communities posted above for instance, and can't help but love seeing them.

But anyway, my point is, I think this is much more exposure really than having some text from their documents posted online. Maybe some Carmels would be happy that people get a chance to learn a little about their lives this way, while others would want it strictly private. I don't know. But again, it's a really good point you make :like:

Chiquitunga

A couple more thoughts and I'll stop posting her for now. I think it's really important you brought this up, AnneLine...

Probably a good rule of thumb would be to allow the particular Carmels (or other communities) themselves to reveal about their lives what they so chose to, be it their websites or books they publish (that can be purchased by the public) but to keep private what they do not, like private documents, etc. or get permission first. 

Many of the books here, for instance, are labeled as private, for OCD community use only - http://www.carmelite.org.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_CARMELITE_DOCUMENTS_46.html

Chiti (and OP and everyone else),

My intent wasn't to close this or any of the other threads down... but just for us to think and pray about it a bit.

A good point. I often feel bad myself that I have mentioned names of specific Carmels here on PM and different things about them :blush: I've tried to a certain extent to not post too many details, but still. I don't know if this is helpful to those truly discerning this life or not. 

But yeah, regarding all of their customs and Constitutions and all.. it's true, these are not available for the public to purchase, so they probably wouldn't want them posted online. Although it may be different if it's older documents. I don't know. I suppose one could ask them.

I have friends in several Carmels, and some don't care, and some care A LOT about what gets put out there.

My concern is that I know as a Secular Order formation person, we have our Rule and Constitutions posted on line... and one of the hardest things for us to do is get someone to slow down and take formation at the pace WE want them to take.... because they have seen all of it on line and think they already know what formation should/will be like.  And every community (secular or religious) is different and unique.... because it is a different group of people, and because each community is a unique thing.  Even when they are super-traditional like the 1990 carmels.... there are still some unique differences in geography and customs.  

"The Carmelite's Day" chapter from that St. Teresa Margaret book is online already on that site of course.

I know, and that's why I almost didn't say anything.  BUT.... St. Teresa Margaret died nearly 250 years go!   There are going to be some differences, no matter what.   One just can't plop onself into a different time period without risking living in a museum..... living things really do change. 

Things like that I think are helpful to be available out there for free, since not everyone can afford to buy lots of books and all. Personally, I think to a certain extent knowing a little at least about these customs would have helped me before I entered to appreciate some of the history and beauty behind it ... although on the other hand, it can be bad to learn too much, because you don't want to be like "yes, I've already heard of that" "I know that" etc. Definitely not!! You really have to be like a child, totally docile, humble, formable.. just learning everything as they teach you. And each community has its own way.. so you don't want to be comparing them, or wondering how they do things in another. 

Exactly.    What went on in St. Teresa Margaret's community is important for knowing and understanding HER.   For example.... she spent a lot of her time caring for one of the nuns who had had a mental breakdown.  Today even in a very strict cloister, such a sister would be placed in a mental hospital and very possibly exclaustrated.  That option didn't exist in St. Teresa Margaret's community.   It was the way SHE grew in holiness, but for anyone else who entered today, the externals would be different.

So anyway, it's a good point :like:

Another thought though about hiddenness and over-exposure, etc... it's a balancing act of course, but many even very traditional (1990, etc.) Carmels now have websites and pictures of their communities online...

Rubio, Venezuela ~ http://carmelitasrubio.blogspot.com/

Écija ~ http://carmelitasecija.es.tl/ & http://www.youtube.com/user/carmelitasecija  

Iron Mountain ~ http://holycrosscarmel.com/

Exactly.  And I think there is a value for us in seeing them, seeing their smiling faces, seeing the joy they have in serving the Lord.  Those photos and the photos of life in community and of the cells, etc., or the photos from the Carmels of St. Therese and Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity -- those help us to undertand THEIR lives and spirituality, and also can be super-helpful for those trying to explain the beauty of the cloistered life for family and friends.  But those communities have decided that this is the way God is leading their communities; other communities make different choices.  Even if they are living the same rule and the same 1990 constitutions.   Again, it is the difference between living in a living community and living in a historical reinatment, at least in my opinion...  some of the rest of you may differ!

I really love it when they don't show their faces and remain really hidden of course... although at the same time I have a great love and respect for each of the communities posted above for instance, and can't help but love seeing them.

But anyway, my point is, I think this is much more exposure really than having some text from their documents posted online. Maybe some Carmels would be happy that people get a chance to learn a little about their lives this way, while others would want it strictly private. I don't know. But again, it's a really good point you make :like:

A couple more thoughts and I'll stop posting her for now. I think it's really important you brought this up, AnneLine...

Probably a good rule of thumb would be to allow the particular Carmels (or other communities) themselves to reveal about their lives what they so chose to, be it their websites or books they publish (that can be purchased by the public) but to keep private what they do not, like private documents, etc. or get permission first. 

Exactly.

Many of the books here, for instance, are labeled as private, for OCD community use only - http://www.carmelite.org.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_CARMELITE_DOCUMENTS_46.html

Anybody else have some thoughts on this?   

VeniJesuAmorMi

Chiti (and OP and everyone else),

My intent wasn't to close this or any of the other threads down... but just for us to think and pray about it a bit.

Anybody else have some thoughts on this?   

I was in a Carmelite monastery for almost a year and a half and there are certainly customs and other traditions that I wouldn't share online or even talk about to people face to face. Hopefully those that may know of these things wouldn't share them either. The books I have read about Carmel and that talk about the different customs always mentioned these things only to a certain extent and not with much detail. The book, "Following the Path of Divine Love" that recently came out about Carmel has been the most detailed book about the life of Carmel and the customs and I have found it very helpful for someone discerning with Carmel or preparing to enter at some time. I would really hope that when I share about the beauty of Carmel I would be very respectful regarding this. I get so excited and happy talking about Carmel because it's so close to my heart but I hope that I would be most respectful and thoughtful about the hiddenness of a Carmelite which is very important. Of course its also always great to learn more and help others to know more about Carmel! Hopefully in the right way.  :pray: :)

maximillion

Hmmm, very interesting discussion.

I've posted quite a bit about my experiences in the cloister but as the above poster, there are things I would not share, even though the community is no longer in existence.

We had lots of little prayers which accompanied almost every aspect of our lives, eating, rising, putting on the habit (and taking it off). We even had some little prayers for 'the Personal Office' as we called it.

I would not be comfortable posting any of these on line, and while I agree it is fascinating to read of the customs and traditions of the various communities, I think it is possible to provide too much in-advance-of-entering information, with possible repercussions.

In addition, every community, even those following the same rule and constitution, has its own traditions and customs so it would not do to give the impression ( not that I think we have) that 'it's going to be like this in every Carmel'.......

Interesting points though.

• 2 weeks later...
graciandelamadrededios

Hello everyone!

I am so sorry that I was unable to reply immediately.  I have been extremely busy for the past few weeks.

I understand the hesitation of some members of this forum on why I posted several documents from Carmel which may lead others to think that Carmelite Nuns nowadays follow a uniform Customs.  This has never been my intention.  My intention is to stir and pique the interest of the readers; to attract vocations to Carmel and not the other way around.

Further, I have not posted the entire Rule and Constitutions, Customary or Ceremonial but snippets of them.  I believe this will not cause any harm. 

Many of the Pre-Vatican II private documents of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns will be translated from French to English.  The Rule and Constitutions, Ceremonial, Spiritual Directory, etc will be publish in English soon; the available texts are still in French but the Paper of Exaction which is basically a Custom Book is already available in English.  Please refer to this links: http://www.archives-carmel-lisieux.fr/english/carmel/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12291:le-papier-d-exaction&catid=76:papier-dexaction&Itemid=171 and http://www.archives-carmel-lisieux.fr/carmel/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12288:les-textes-de-base&catid=73:textes-de-base&Itemid=203

The above-mentioned links will lead you to view the documents available in French and English.  Said documents should only be circulated within monasteries of the Order but the officials of the museaum deem it necessary to be made available online for public consumption.

So if I posted bits and pieces of information about Carmel and it makes some uncomfortable, please bear in mind that those are minuscule compare to what is being posted on the links I mentioned above.

Carmel is not the only cloistered community whose documents are available online, The Constitutions and other documents of the Good Shepherd Sisters and Magdalen Sisters are available online as well.

Gracian

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios
CEREMONIAL OF THE DISCALCED NUNS OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY OF MOUNT CARMEL

PRELIMINARY CHAPTER

RELIGIOUS DEPORTMENT  

1. The Nuns being obliged by their profession to keep their interior life well-ordered, should regulate their exterior as to give evidence of the order within.  Therefore, it seems useful to give certain rules on this subject before explaining the laws and ceremonies which govern the exercises of piety and the acts of Community life.

2. The rules of perfect exterior deportment are comprised in the following points: 1st. To avoid all gestrues and anything offensive to religious modesty, for example, when speaking not to move the head or the hands; 2nd. To observe in all thins the just measure dictated by this same religious modesty; for example, not looking fixedly at persons, especially Superiors, - not laughing immoderately and without real cause, - not swinging the arms when walking, not letting them hang down, but rather holding the hands, when not employed, modestly under the scapular, - not crossing the legs or feet, - having the countenance always calm and humble, and alike with all, - not letting the eys wander here and there, but keeping them modestly lowered, - not stretching the members, not, as far as possible, yawning or making other movements which denote laziness, or, when unavoidable, observing moderation so that others may not be annoyed.

3. It is not proper when speaking with a Nun to hold her by the scapular or girdle.  It shows little solidity to play with the key or with one's own girdle.  The manner of walking should be neither too slow nor too hurried, but always moderate, always suited to circumstances.  The hands or the face of another should not be touched, except through necessity, this being a sign of levity rather than holy friendship.  The Nuns when sitting should keep their feet together and covered with the habit, particularly in the Choir and at other Community acts which demand greater attention and respect.  Likewise, it is well in speaking with another not to approach too close as this may cause annoyance.

4.  Custody of the tongue requires that the Nuns speak with moderate voice, not in a harsh or an excited tone, that they speak little and be brief in their conversation, particularly in the presence of seniors, showing a desire to learn rather than to teach, - that they do not interrupt one another, and much less Superiors, - that they do not contend or show obstinacy in maintaining their opinion, - that they avoid vain talk, such as of one's birth or the esteem in which one wa held, and flattery, affected compliments, etc.: these things being unbecoming in the mouth of a Religious.  They should not addresss a Nuns from a distance, nor call her with gestures.

5.  Particular attention should be pain to charity in all conversation, speaking well of everyone, especially of the absent, and abstaining entirely from all cutting or mortifying words: this rule is imposed on all by the law of charity itself.  The Nuns must be equally careful to speak with sincerity, avoiding not only lies, accordking to the divine law, but even the shadow or suspicion of falsehood.  Therefore, they should think a moment before answering a question or affirming a fact, so as not to assert inadvertently one thing for another, or a doubtful thing as certain.

6. A Nuns in speaking with seculars should be serious and reserved, avoiding all familiarity and unnecessary talk, and endeavor to introduce something spiritual and profitalbe to sould.

7. The Nuns when they meet should incline the head and reverently give the salutation of the Order:  the younger saying, Praised be Jesus Christ!, the other answering, Now and forever.

8.  The Nuns in speaking with our Fathers use the title Your Reverence; with the Brothers, Your Charity.  They do the same among themselves, using the first title with the Mothers, and the second with all the rest.  But they should not, in speaking of themselves, say Our Charity, Our Reverence, nor We, but simply, I have done this, I have said that.  They should not call one another simply by the name, but say Mother N. or Sister N.  The Prioress should not be called by her own name but by that of her office, that is, Our Mother Prioress,  or simply Our Mother.  The Sub-prioress also is called by the name of her office; Mother Sub-prioress.  The Novices and the newly professed, as long as they are under the direction of the Mistress, give her the title of Mother and Your Reverence, even though she be only a Sister.  When naming our Father General, the Vicar General, the Procurator General or the Provincial, they say Our Father General, Our Father Vicar General, Our Father Procurator General, or Our Father Provincial.  They say Our Father X fro the Definitors General; these, as well as the ex-Generals and ex-Procurators General, enjoy the title of Our Father during their whole life.

9. Letters sent by post are addressed according to the custom of the roder and of the country.  J+M., or J.M.+J.T., and Pax Christi, or May the Grace of the Holy Spirit be in the sould of Your Reverence!, are written at the head of the letter.  The formula, Your humble servant in Jesus Christ, or, in Christ, or, in Our Lord, or, Your humble sister and servant, is used in the signature; however, to Superior, the signature is Your humble servant and daughter; and even those who have the title of Mother sign Sister N. of N., D.C., adding Prioress, or Sub-prioress, as the case may be.

10. The Nuns on receiving anything, such as clothes,books, etc., from an offical of the Monastery, or from someone else in the name of the Prioress, should incline the head, saying: Benedictus Deus in donis suis.  But if they receive these things from the Prioress herself, they say the same words kneeling and kiss her scapular in token of gratitude.

11.  A Nun on being reproved by the Prioress or Mistress should receive the correction with humility, strike her breast, saying mea culpa, and put her head to the floor until told to rise.  IF the Prioress finds a Nun talking with another in time of silence, or doing something contrary to the Rule, or Constitutions, or to her particular order,  these Nuns, even before they are reproved, should prostrate immediately in acknowledgment of their fault, and not rise until bidden to do so by the Prioress herself.

VARIOUS CUSTOMS

The Religious cannot, without express permission of the Prioress, apply to their personal use of what is for the general service of the Community; and every time it may be necessary to take a thing of this kind, they should promptly replace it, when they have finished with it.  Each Sister should have but one Habit and one Veil for her use, but those who have the Offices should keep there all that may be necessary to give the Religious a change at need.The Sisters cannot lend anything to one another without permission, not even a needle.

They cannot go into the Offices, especially the Kitchen, without permission. They cannot lie down during the day, without permission of the Prioress, except during the hour of sleep time, or in some extraordinary case.

The Religious are not permitted to ask their relations to make presents in their name, because they should not have anything as their own, and should not appear to dispose of anything whatsoever.  They cannot ask anything for themselves, without permission of the Prioress, and what they receive will not be for their use, unless the Prioress judge proper.  They are not permitted to offer of themselves little gifts to their relations or other persons; it belongs to the Prioress to make presents, according to the means of the house, in the name of the Community, and not a private individual.

Carmelites cannot take the office of God-mother; they are also forbidden to join Associations; however, the Confraternities of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and of the Holy Rosary, form an exception to this rule, according to information received from our Rev. Fr. General, Denis of St. Teresa, November, 1893.  In the absence of the Prioress and sub-Prioress, the Presider does not reprove the faults in the Refectory, but when the Turn-Sister has recommended the Benefactors, the Presider simply requests the Sister to say the usual prayers for the ordinary intentions.

When the Turn-Sister is absent from the Refectory in the evening, the Prioress or Presider recommends the Benefactors, and the other intentions, and the prayers are said as usual. 

When the Mother Sub-Prioress preside in Community, the Religious kneel to speak to her.  Only the Chapter Sisters can preside in Community.

When the community enters or leaves Choir or Refectory, if three Religious remain at the end, they incline together, for it is only the Prioress who makes the inclination alone.  When the Community has left the Choir or Refectory, no one should join the Procession, or stop the Prioress, nor anyone else stop to speak.

The Sisters should, after Dinner, and, if there be no Refectorian, after the evening meal also, go with the Community to Recreation, and then ask to leave to wash the dishes.

It is customary for the Religious to stand at their places in the Refectory during the reading of the Martyrology for Christmas, and for the Feast of our holy Mother, St. Teresa.

Every two weeks, clean napkins are given in the Refectory; the intermediate one, they are turned; if the Prioress forget to give the sign for turning them, before dinner on Sunday, the Vestier reminds her by showing her napkin.

When the bell rings for the Examen before dinner, the Lay Sisters and those in the Infirmary who are able, and are permitted to do so, should kneel for the purpose.

Whenever the Religious are to sound the clapper in the Dormitory, they should kneel, the strike the clapper three times, and kiss the floor before rising.  The Sister who is the first to take the clapper for Morning Prayer, gains the Indulgences.

The Religious should kiss the Habit, Girdle, Mantle, and Veil, when putting them on, and taking them off.  Whenever they put on or take off the Scapular, they should kiss it respectfully, saying: “Monstra te esse matrem.”

They should use only five pins for the headdress.  The Toque should extend on the shoulder about the width of three fingers beyond the scapular.  The Scapular should be put on in such a manner, that by placing the closed hand on the upper part of it, and holding the thumb raised, it might touch the chin, that is to say, there should be a distance of about five inches.  The Veil should be fastened on the shoulders, with the pins of the Scapular.  The Communion Veil is worn only with the Mantle, or in the Speak Room, or when one is in retreat.  The Tunic Sleeves should be pinned at the wrist; woolen sleeves are worn under those of the Habit, during winter.

On retiring at night, the Religious should fold up their Scapular, Veil and Toque, placing them one over the other on the Cell Table; the Crucifix should be attached to the pillow.  If a Sister neglected to put on her night Scapular before going to bed, she should speak her fault for it.  The Chaplet of the Order, of six decades, should be attached to the Girdle on the left side.  The sixth decade is in honor of the Immaculate Conception.  The Religious who have permission to have a small Rosary for devotion, should not wear it so as to be seen.

If any Religious were absent form the “Veni Sancti” of Morning Prayer, she should acknowledge her fault the same day to the Prioress.

After the Hours, when the Religious go to their cells, they read a few paragraphs in the Imitation of Christ.  They may also read a lesson in the Catechism, and a little of the Constitutions and Ceremonial.  They must not employ more that a quarter of an hour for all.

Before commencing the Spiritual reading prescribed by the Constitutions, the Religious kneel and say the “Vein Sancte” and an “Ave Mari”, to beg grace form Almighty God, to understand what they are about to read, because as praying is our speaking to God, so reading is God speaking to us.  At three o’clock, we say (every day) in honor of the death of Our Lord, three Our Fathers, and three Hail Marys, for a happy death, and for the conversion of sinners.  When in the Choir, the Cell, or alone in one’s Office, we extend the arms in the form of a cross, during these prayers.  At the words, “Et Verbum Caro factum est,” of the Angelus, we kiss the floor, when in Choir, Cell, or alone in the room where we have to remain to fulfill the duties of our Office.  The Sisters ask leave when they wish to make private novenas, the Pater Nosters, the Sundays of St. Joseph, and other long devotions.

The Sisters who do not make Prayer, are dispensed from discipline and chain during eight days, and from praying with the arms extended, during three days.

When a Sister is dispensed from going to Matins, she should go to bed at nine o’clock unless she has permission to remain up later.  The youngest on each side of the Choir, should open and close the windows, fix a light, etc., at the Acts of the Community, out of the usual time, she must ask the Presider, or make a sign to her for permission.

No Choir exercises should be delayed to wait for any member, even the Prioress, unless it be one of those Offices at which her Reverence is to officiate; for the others, it should be supposed that when the Prioress does not come it is because she is unable to do so.  The Sister whose place is next to a Novice or Postulant in Choir, may show here, if necessary, when she does not know how to follow the Office.

When Matins are not said at nine o’clock, the bell should, nevertheless, be ruing, except for the Feasts of the Christmas, Easter, and during the Octave of Corpus Christi.  One of the eves of Christmas, Easter, and of our Holy Mother, St. Teresa, we embrace in all charity, wishing each other a happy Feast.

When the Community is summoned to come to work in common, such as folding the linen, preparing the vegetables, the fruit, etc., no one should dispense herself from it without the permission, even to do something which might seem necessary.

When the washing is done on a Fast day of the Order, the Mother Prioress will dispense the Sisters who may have need of it, but not the entire Community, as the Rule must always be observed.  The Lay-Sisters will be dispensed form all Community Acts.

The Religious should be careful to turn up the Holy Habit whenever they are doing any work which could soil it, but they should not do this at a Community Act, without permission of the Presider.  The Religious should brush their Habits before five o’clock on Saturday; for this purpose two or three brushes should be kept in the Dormitory.  Each Sister, before taking her soiled clothers to place appointed, should turn  them on the wrong side and be careful to leave on pins in them.  If a Sister failed to five up her clothes in good time for the wash, or left them out of the place, she should acknowledge her fault to the Prioress, and ask for a penance.

The Sister who has the Humble Office, should carry the sweepings to the appointed place; she should be careful to do this after the Religious have finished their sweeping.

When the Table of Offices is read in the Refectory, each Sister should make a semi-inclination when her name is announced; she should consider it a blessing to receive the appointment, and should endeavor to acquit herself of it as well as possible.

If anyone spill anything in the Dormitory or elsewhere, she should stop to wipe it up.  When a Sisters spills or breaks anything, or makes much noise, where the Community is assembled, she should kiss the floor.  When the Sisters desire to copy something, they should ask permission to do so, even during free time.

The Provisor and the Religious consult the Sub-prioress about the Feast of the Prioress.

The Religious are allowed to approach Holy Communion on the anniversaries of their Clothing and Profession, although the day may not be one of the general Communion, and they may ask the Prioress to accompany them.

On the two days following Christmas, Easter, and Pentecost, we have general Communion for our Benefactors, living and dead.

Besides the Thirty Masses, which, according to our Constitutions are to be said for each Sister, an Anniversary Mass is said for seven years.

When the Father or Mother of a Religious dies, Holy Mass is chanted for the repose of the soul. 

The Community conducts the Novice to the Cell which has been prepared for her, on the night of her Profession, on which account Complin may be delayed a little white, with permission of the Prioress.  During eight days, each Religious may visit the Novice once, and remain with her a short time.

At Clothings and Velings, the Candles on the Choir altar are not lighted during Mass, but only at the Last Gospel; at the same time the candles held by the Sisters are also lighted.

During the Month of May, a quarter of an hour before the end of the evening Recreation, the community goes to the Oratory, or some other suitable place for the exercises of the Month of May.

Breviaries and other Office Books with gild edges are not used.  For distinction, the Breviaries may be numbered, but no private mark is affixed to them.  No musical instruments are allowed in the Convent.

graciandelamadrededios

CEREMONIAL

OF THE

DISCALCED NUNS

OF THE

BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

OF

MOUNT CARMEL

PRELIMINARY CHAPTER

RELIGIOUS DEPORTMENT  

1. The Nuns being obliged by their profession to keep their interior life well-ordered, should regulate their exterior as to give evidence of the order within.  Therefore, it seems useful to give certain rules on this subject before explaining the laws and ceremonies which govern the exercises of piety and the acts of Community life.

2. The rules of perfect exterior deportment are comprised in the following points: 1st. To avoid all gestrues and anything offensive to religious modesty, for example, when speaking not to move the head or the hands; 2nd. To observe in all thins the just measure dictated by this same religious modesty; for example, not looking fixedly at persons, especially Superiors, - not laughing immoderately and without real cause, - not swinging the arms when walking, not letting them hang down, but rather holding the hands, when not employed, modestly under the scapular, - not crossing the legs or feet, - having the countenance always calm and humble, and alike with all, - not letting the eys wander here and there, but keeping them modestly lowered, - not stretching the members, not, as far as possible, yawning or making other movements which denote laziness, or, when unavoidable, observing moderation so that others may not be annoyed.

3. It is not proper when speaking with a Nun to hold her by the scapular or girdle.  It shows little solidity to play with the key or with one's own girdle.  The manner of walking should be neither too slow nor too hurried, but always moderate, always suited to circumstances.  The hands or the face of another should not be touched, except through necessity, this being a sign of levity rather than holy friendship.  The Nuns when sitting should keep their feet together and covered with the habit, particularly in the Choir and at other Community acts which demand greater attention and respect.  Likewise, it is well in speaking with another not to approach too close as this may cause annoyance.

4.  Custody of the tongue requires that the Nuns speak with moderate voice, not in a harsh or an excited tone, that they speak little and be brief in their conversation, particularly in the presence of seniors, showing a desire to learn rather than to teach, - that they do not interrupt one another, and much less Superiors, - that they do not contend or show obstinacy in maintaining their opinion, - that they avoid vain talk, such as of one's birth or the esteem in which one wa held, and flattery, affected compliments, etc.: these things being unbecoming in the mouth of a Religious.  They should not addresss a Nuns from a distance, nor call her with gestures.

5.  Particular attention should be pain to charity in all conversation, speaking well of everyone, especially of the absent, and abstaining entirely from all cutting or mortifying words: this rule is imposed on all by the law of charity itself.  The Nuns must be equally careful to speak with sincerity, avoiding not only lies, accordking to the divine law, but even the shadow or suspicion of falsehood.  Therefore, they should think a moment before answering a question or affirming a fact, so as not to assert inadvertently one thing for another, or a doubtful thing as certain.

6. A Nuns in speaking with seculars should be serious and reserved, avoiding all familiarity and unnecessary talk, and endeavor to introduce something spiritual and profitalbe to sould.

7. The Nuns when they meet should incline the head and reverently give the salutation of the Order:  the younger saying, Praised be Jesus Christ!, the other answering, Now and forever.

8.  The Nuns in speaking with our Fathers use the title Your Reverence; with the Brothers, Your Charity.  They do the same among themselves, using the first title with the Mothers, and the second with all the rest.  But they should not, in speaking of themselves, say Our Charity, Our Reverence, nor We, but simply, I have done this, I have said that.  They should not call one another simply by the name, but say Mother N. or Sister N.  The Prioress should not be called by her own name but by that of her office, that is, Our Mother Prioress,  or simply Our Mother.  The Sub-prioress also is called by the name of her office; Mother Sub-prioress.  The Novices and the newly professed, as long as they are under the direction of the Mistress, give her the title of Mother and Your Reverence, even though she be only a Sister.  When naming our Father General, the Vicar General, the Procurator General or the Provincial, they say Our Father General, Our Father Vicar General, Our Father Procurator General, or Our Father Provincial.  They say Our Father X fro the Definitors General; these, as well as the ex-Generals and ex-Procurators General, enjoy the title of Our Father during their whole life.

9. Letters sent by post are addressed according to the custom of the roder and of the country.  J+M., or J.M.+J.T., and Pax Christi, or May the Grace of the Holy Spirit be in the sould of Your Reverence!, are written at the head of the letter.  The formula, Your humble servant in Jesus Christ, or, in Christ, or, in Our Lord, or, Your humble sister and servant, is used in the signature; however, to Superior, the signature is Your humble servant and daughter; and even those who have the title of Mother sign Sister N. of N., D.C., adding Prioress, or Sub-prioress, as the case may be.

10. The Nuns on receiving anything, such as clothes,books, etc., from an offical of the Monastery, or from someone else in the name of the Prioress, should incline the head, saying: Benedictus Deus in donis suis.  But if they receive these things from the Prioress herself, they say the same words kneeling and kiss her scapular in token of gratitude.

11.  A Nun on being reproved by the Prioress or Mistress should receive the correction with humility, strike her breast, saying mea culpa, and put her head to the floor until told to rise.  IF the Prioress finds a Nun talking with another in time of silence, or doing something contrary to the Rule, or Constitutions, or to her particular order,  these Nuns, even before they are reproved, should prostrate immediately in acknowledgment of their fault, and not rise until bidden to do so by the Prioress herself.

VARIOUS CUSTOMS

The Religious cannot, without express permission of the Prioress, apply to their personal use of what is for the general service of the Community; and every time it may be necessary to take a thing of this kind, they should promptly replace it, when they have finished with it.  Each Sister should have but one Habit and one Veil for her use, but those who have the Offices should keep there all that may be necessary to give the Religious a change at need.The Sisters cannot lend anything to one another without permission, not even a needle.

They cannot go into the Offices, especially the Kitchen, without permission. They cannot lie down during the day, without permission of the Prioress, except during the hour of sleep time, or in some extraordinary case.

The Religious are not permitted to ask their relations to make presents in their name, because they should not have anything as their own, and should not appear to dispose of anything whatsoever.  They cannot ask anything for themselves, without permission of the Prioress, and what they receive will not be for their use, unless the Prioress judge proper.  They are not permitted to offer of themselves little gifts to their relations or other persons; it belongs to the Prioress to make presents, according to the means of the house, in the name of the Community, and not a private individual.

Carmelites cannot take the office of God-mother; they are also forbidden to join Associations; however, the Confraternities of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and of the Holy Rosary, form an exception to this rule, according to information received from our Rev. Fr. General, Denis of St. Teresa, November, 1893.  In the absence of the Prioress and sub-Prioress, the Presider does not reprove the faults in the Refectory, but when the Turn-Sister has recommended the Benefactors, the Presider simply requests the Sister to say the usual prayers for the ordinary intentions.

When the Turn-Sister is absent from the Refectory in the evening, the Prioress or Presider recommends the Benefactors, and the other intentions, and the prayers are said as usual. 

When the Mother Sub-Prioress preside in Community, the Religious kneel to speak to her.  Only the Chapter Sisters can preside in Community.

When the community enters or leaves Choir or Refectory, if three Religious remain at the end, they incline together, for it is only the Prioress who makes the inclination alone.  When the Community has left the Choir or Refectory, no one should join the Procession, or stop the Prioress, nor anyone else stop to speak.

The Sisters should, after Dinner, and, if there be no Refectorian, after the evening meal also, go with the Community to Recreation, and then ask to leave to wash the dishes.

It is customary for the Religious to stand at their places in the Refectory during the reading of the Martyrology for Christmas, and for the Feast of our holy Mother, St. Teresa.

Every two weeks, clean napkins are given in the Refectory; the intermediate one, they are turned; if the Prioress forget to give the sign for turning them, before dinner on Sunday, the Vestier reminds her by showing her napkin.

When the bell rings for the Examen before dinner, the Lay Sisters and those in the Infirmary who are able, and are permitted to do so, should kneel for the purpose.

Whenever the Religious are to sound the clapper in the Dormitory, they should kneel, the strike the clapper three times, and kiss the floor before rising.  The Sister who is the first to take the clapper for Morning Prayer, gains the Indulgences.

The Religious should kiss the Habit, Girdle, Mantle, and Veil, when putting them on, and taking them off.  Whenever they put on or take off the Scapular, they should kiss it respectfully, saying: “Monstra te esse matrem.”

They should use only five pins for the headdress.  The Toque should extend on the shoulder about the width of three fingers beyond the scapular.  The Scapular should be put on in such a manner, that by placing the closed hand on the upper part of it, and holding the thumb raised, it might touch the chin, that is to say, there should be a distance of about five inches.  The Veil should be fastened on the shoulders, with the pins of the Scapular.  The Communion Veil is worn only with the Mantle, or in the Speak Room, or when one is in retreat.  The Tunic Sleeves should be pinned at the wrist; woolen sleeves are worn under those of the Habit, during winter.

On retiring at night, the Religious should fold up their Scapular, Veil and Toque, placing them one over the other on the Cell Table; the Crucifix should be attached to the pillow.  If a Sister neglected to put on her night Scapular before going to bed, she should speak her fault for it.  The Chaplet of the Order, of six decades, should be attached to the Girdle on the left side.  The sixth decade is in honor of the Immaculate Conception.  The Religious who have permission to have a small Rosary for devotion, should not wear it so as to be seen.

If any Religious were absent form the “Veni Sancti” of Morning Prayer, she should acknowledge her fault the same day to the Prioress.

After the Hours, when the Religious go to their cells, they read a few paragraphs in the Imitation of Christ.  They may also read a lesson in the Catechism, and a little of the Constitutions and Ceremonial.  They must not employ more that a quarter of an hour for all.

Before commencing the Spiritual reading prescribed by the Constitutions, the Religious kneel and say the “Vein Sancte” and an “Ave Mari”, to beg grace form Almighty God, to understand what they are about to read, because as praying is our speaking to God, so reading is God speaking to us.  At three o’clock, we say (every day) in honor of the death of Our Lord, three Our Fathers, and three Hail Marys, for a happy death, and for the conversion of sinners.  When in the Choir, the Cell, or alone in one’s Office, we extend the arms in the form of a cross, during these prayers.  At the words, “Et Verbum Caro factum est,” of the Angelus, we kiss the floor, when in Choir, Cell, or alone in the room where we have to remain to fulfill the duties of our Office.  The Sisters ask leave when they wish to make private novenas, the Pater Nosters, the Sundays of St. Joseph, and other long devotions.

The Sisters who do not make Prayer, are dispensed from discipline and chain during eight days, and from praying with the arms extended, during three days.

When a Sister is dispensed from going to Matins, she should go to bed at nine o’clock unless she has permission to remain up later.  The youngest on each side of the Choir, should open and close the windows, fix a light, etc., at the Acts of the Community, out of the usual time, she must ask the Presider, or make a sign to her for permission.

No Choir exercises should be delayed to wait for any member, even the Prioress, unless it be one of those Offices at which her Reverence is to officiate; for the others, it should be supposed that when the Prioress does not come it is because she is unable to do so.  The Sister whose place is next to a Novice or Postulant in Choir, may show here, if necessary, when she does not know how to follow the Office.

When Matins are not said at nine o’clock, the bell should, nevertheless, be ruing, except for the Feasts of the Christmas, Easter, and during the Octave of Corpus Christi.  One of the eves of Christmas, Easter, and of our Holy Mother, St. Teresa, we embrace in all charity, wishing each other a happy Feast.

When the Community is summoned to come to work in common, such as folding the linen, preparing the vegetables, the fruit, etc., no one should dispense herself from it without the permission, even to do something which might seem necessary.

When the washing is done on a Fast day of the Order, the Mother Prioress will dispense the Sisters who may have need of it, but not the entire Community, as the Rule must always be observed.  The Lay-Sisters will be dispensed form all Community Acts.

The Religious should be careful to turn up the Holy Habit whenever they are doing any work which could soil it, but they should not do this at a Community Act, without permission of the Presider.  The Religious should brush their Habits before five o’clock on Saturday; for this purpose two or three brushes should be kept in the Dormitory.  Each Sister, before taking her soiled clothers to place appointed, should turn  them on the wrong side and be careful to leave on pins in them.  If a Sister failed to five up her clothes in good time for the wash, or left them out of the place, she should acknowledge her fault to the Prioress, and ask for a penance.

The Sister who has the Humble Office, should carry the sweepings to the appointed place; she should be careful to do this after the Religious have finished their sweeping.

When the Table of Offices is read in the Refectory, each Sister should make a semi-inclination when her name is announced; she should consider it a blessing to receive the appointment, and should endeavor to acquit herself of it as well as possible.

If anyone spill anything in the Dormitory or elsewhere, she should stop to wipe it up.  When a Sisters spills or breaks anything, or makes much noise, where the Community is assembled, she should kiss the floor.  When the Sisters desire to copy something, they should ask permission to do so, even during free time.

The Provisor and the Religious consult the Sub-prioress about the Feast of the Prioress.

The Religious are allowed to approach Holy Communion on the anniversaries of their Clothing and Profession, although the day may not be one of the general Communion, and they may ask the Prioress to accompany them.

On the two days following Christmas, Easter, and Pentecost, we have general Communion for our Benefactors, living and dead.

Besides the Thirty Masses, which, according to our Constitutions are to be said for each Sister, an Anniversary Mass is said for seven years.

When the Father or Mother of a Religious dies, Holy Mass is chanted for the repose of the soul. 

The Community conducts the Novice to the Cell which has been prepared for her, on the night of her Profession, on which account Complin may be delayed a little white, with permission of the Prioress.  During eight days, each Religious may visit the Novice once, and remain with her a short time.

At Clothings and Velings, the Candles on the Choir altar are not lighted during Mass, but only at the Last Gospel; at the same time the candles held by the Sisters are also lighted.

During the Month of May, a quarter of an hour before the end of the evening Recreation, the community goes to the Oratory, or some other suitable place for the exercises of the Month of May.

Breviaries and other Office Books with gild edges are not used.  For distinction, the Breviaries may be numbered, but no private mark is affixed to them.  No musical instruments are allowed in the Convent.

Note: The above Ceremonial and Customs were inforced before Vatican II and no longer in vigor today.  Each Carmel formulates their own Custom Book.  Each Carmel may also create their own Ceremonial with the approval of the Superior General of the Order or the local ordinary.