An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Carmelite's Day

graciandelamadrededios

Chiquitunga

thanks from Chiqui too for the info on the two Annes :like: hopefully now in Heaven they are reconciled, of course  :saint:

graciandelamadrededios

I sure they are reconciled now.  St. Teresa is there to mediate!

graciandelamadrededios

The rivalry of Anne of Jesus (Lobera) and Anne of St. Bartholomew (Garcia) started when latter sided with Doria during his plan to tamper the constitutions of Nuns.

• 8 months later...
Teresa Mary

I see this topic hasn't been discussed in a while (and I read some of it), but I was wondering if I could get more info to finish this particular chapter in the Carmelite novel I am writing about St. Philomena.....I have looked everywhere I can think of, online and off, and not able to find the answer I am looking for :sos: How does a Sister, who is called to speak to the Prioress in her office, announce her presence at the door ~ and how does the Prioress respond?  I'm anxious to finish this novel so I can send it to the publisher.  Thanks, everyone! :priest:

I see this topic hasn't been discussed in a while (and I read some of it), but I was wondering if I could get more info to finish this particular chapter in the Carmelite novel I am writing about St. Philomena.....I have looked everywhere I can think of, online and off, and not able to find the answer I am looking for :sos: How does a Sister, who is called to speak to the Prioress in her office, announce her presence at the door ~ and how does the Prioress respond?  I'm anxious to finish this novel so I can send it to the publisher.  Thanks, everyone! :priest:

Congratulations on the book, Teresa Mary!  It will be so interesting to read about the Carmelite and St. Philomena "connection"!  Not to de-rail the thread...but, you may want to look at our parish's website

http://www.parish.holyspiritrcs.org.  Our pastor has a great devotion to the young saint and attributes

many miracles--large and small--to her intercession.  In fact, we have recently become one of the many international centers dedicated to her (Archconfraternity of St. Philomena, #61).  Fr. John has visited

Mugnano del Cardinale, Italy...and said Mass at the shrine that houses her miraculous statue.  He can be directly reached via e-mail at frjohnrocus@holyspiritbrighton.com!  Hope you get your question answered (soon) about how a Carmelite nun announces her presence at a Prioress' door!  Again, it's one of those interesting things that gives us a "glimpse" into that most beautiful enclosed life.

Perhaps an invocation (to St. Philomena) is made when a nun knocks on the prioress' door.  I remember reading that the saint's

intercessary powers are often made known through "knocking sounds."  Sts. John Mary Vianney, Padre Pio, popes and many

priests had (or have!) a devotion to her!  Her picture and chaplet are in front of me right now! 

Teresa Mary

Perhaps an invocation (to St. Philomena) is made when a nun knocks on the prioress' door.  I remember reading that the saint's

intercessary powers are often made known through "knocking sounds."  Sts. John Mary Vianney, Padre Pio, popes and many

priests had (or have!) a devotion to her!  Her picture and chaplet are in front of me right now! 

Thank you so much for the posts.  I have been a devotee of St. Philomena since I was 15; am currently trying to revive this.  I am also named after her in the Carmelite Third Order.  I, too, have been privy to her three knocks in my own life, and I will never forget the day I heard them.

Chiquitunga

Hmm... I'm not sure exactly what she would say according to their traditional customs, but if I find anything in the Ceremonial I'll let you know. I think Gracian would be the best at answering this.

Thank you so much for the posts.  I have been a devotee of St. Philomena since I was 15; am currently trying to revive this.  I am also named after her in the Carmelite Third Order.  I, too, have been privy to her three knocks in my own life, and I will never forget the day I heard them.

Again, I don't mean to de-rail this thread, +Teresa Mary, but I, too, belong to the Secular Carmelites

(actually still in formation)!  And I'm very curious to know if our dear St. Philomena (a name which means "the loving song") is invoked when a Carmelite nun has to knock on her prioress' door! 

Chiqui and Gracian are most generous in sharing their knowledge of the Carmelite Order on VS...

so, I'm sure you'll have an answer soon.

Teresa Mary

Again, I don't mean to de-rail this thread, +Teresa Mary, but I, too, belong to the Secular Carmelites

(actually still in formation)!  And I'm very curious to know if our dear St. Philomena (a name which means "the loving song") is invoked when a Carmelite nun has to knock on her prioress' door! 

Chiqui and Gracian are most generous in sharing their knowledge of the Carmelite Order on VS...

so, I'm sure you'll have an answer soon.

I don't think it is, Pia, but I am trying to get some insight into the Carmelite life as it is so I can finish my novel.  As you may know, novels are filled with fictuous details.  However, my novel is part reality and part fiction.  I'd appreciate it if insight on the Carmelite life could be given going forward, rather than going off topic.  Thanks!  Oh, and the name "Philomena" actually means "Daughter of Light," as the saint herself told several people in revelations granted to them.

Edited by Teresa Mary

Chiquitunga

I looked through the Ceremonial I have from 1930 and haven't found anything yet. My best guess for right now is that she would knock on the door and say "Mater Benedicte" (Mother, bless me) which is how someone in the novitiate addresses her Novice Mistress and Prioress. But I am not sure about a solemn professed nun. Hopefully Gracian might weigh in here if he has anymore more specific.

This book on St. Teresa Margaret is written much like a novel, http://www.amazon.com/God-Love-Saint-Teresa-Margaret-ebook/dp/B005GLG7IC  and I wonder if you might find a specific example of this in there as the author tried to include details that were true to Carmelite life in the Saint's times like this in her narrative as well. I haven't read this one yet however, though I do have it, so I will try to search through it for you when I get the chance also, if you do not own this book already. God bless!

Teresa Mary

I looked through the Ceremonial I have from 1930 and haven't found anything yet. My best guess for right now is that she would knock on the door and say "Mater Benedicte" (Mother, bless me) which is how someone in the novitiate addresses her Novice Mistress and Prioress. But I am not sure about a solemn professed nun. Hopefully Gracian might weigh in here if he has anymore more specific.

This book on St. Teresa Margaret is written much like a novel, http://www.amazon.com/God-Love-Saint-Teresa-Margaret-ebook/dp/B005GLG7IC  and I wonder if you might find a specific example of this in there as the author tried to include details that were true to Carmelite life in the Saint's times like this in her narrative as well. I haven't read this one yet however, though I do have it, so I will try to search through it for you when I get the chance also, if you do not own this book already. God bless!

Thank you for that information!  I will find it quite useful, I'm sure. :) However, I haven't gotten that far in the story yet; she is still a postulant, in Day Two of the cloister, as she just got there the day before. :saint: I would really like to see that Ceremonial, though, if I can ever find a copy anywhere; books like that are so  hard to find these days!

Chiquitunga

No problem! I will keep searching, but just thought I'd share this one for now. I remembered a scene from the Teresa de Los Andes movie where she walks into the Prioress' office and greets her with something, though I didn't remember. Here it is though, and it is the ordinary greeting for Carmelites, "Praised be Jesus Christ!" (which it is customary that the younger nun, in years of profession I believe, says first, with the older one responding "Now & forever!") as I'm sure you know of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igtC-PT0nZc#t=3208

However, my best guess is still a couple knocks with "Mater Benedicte" for now :like: