CrossCuT Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 (edited) Cambridge University students were asked on campus why they needed feminism. Click the link for more: http://awkwardsituationist.tumblr.com/post/52817821994/cambridge-university-students-were-asked-on-campus I guess the real question here is...what does Feminism even mean? OOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo Edited June 18, 2013 by CrossCuT
CrossCuT Posted June 18, 2013 Author Posted June 18, 2013 Cambridge University students Share their thoughts* (Apparently there is a title character limit) :saint2:
DiscerningCatholic Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 Some of those reasons were pretty stupid...and some of them actually made sense...
PhuturePriest Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 Some of the answers were good (The statistics and everything), but some of them were a little weird and irrelevant.
Lil Red Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 multi-quote feature isn't working - but to the two posters above me, can you give me examples of which ones you think are stupid or irrelevant?
DiscerningCatholic Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 Well, in the third set, the one on the top row on the far left. I don't feel comfortable putting it here. The one about "I need feminism because I love science and it shouldn't be shocking." I mean...what? People find it shocking that I used to do gymnastics or that I used to play the violin or that I can swim faster than most of my friends. People are always gonna be shocked at a few things you like doing. The one about "We are different but EQUAL" was awe.some.
CrossCuT Posted June 18, 2013 Author Posted June 18, 2013 Well, in the third set, the one on the top row on the far left. I don't feel comfortable putting it here. The one about "I need feminism because I love science and it shouldn't be shocking." I mean...what? People find it shocking that I used to do gymnastics or that I used to play the violin or that I can swim faster than most of my friends. People are always gonna be shocked at a few things you like doing. The one about "We are different but EQUAL" was awe.some. People still assume science is a mans field because for all of history that has been the case. However, now, women are more prevalent in the biological sciences.
CrossCuT Posted June 18, 2013 Author Posted June 18, 2013 Well, in the third set, the one on the top row on the far left. I don't feel comfortable putting it here. The one about "I need feminism because I love science and it shouldn't be shocking." I mean...what? People find it shocking that I used to do gymnastics or that I used to play the violin or that I can swim faster than most of my friends. People are always gonna be shocked at a few things you like doing. The one about "We are different but EQUAL" was awe.some. People still assume science is a mans field because for all of history that has been the case. However, now, women are more prevalent in the biological sciences.
CrossCuT Posted June 18, 2013 Author Posted June 18, 2013 Well, in the third set, the one on the top row on the far left. I don't feel comfortable putting it here. The one about "I need feminism because I love science and it shouldn't be shocking." I mean...what? People find it shocking that I used to do gymnastics or that I used to play the violin or that I can swim faster than most of my friends. People are always gonna be shocked at a few things you like doing. The one about "We are different but EQUAL" was awe.some. People still assume science is a mans field because for all of history that has been the case. However, now, women are more prevalent in the biological sciences.
CrossCuT Posted June 18, 2013 Author Posted June 18, 2013 (edited) What the heck! I didnt post 3 times! This site needs a therapist Edited June 18, 2013 by CrossCuT
Lil Red Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 Well, in the third set, the one on the top row on the far left. I don't feel comfortable putting it here. The one about "I need feminism because I love science and it shouldn't be shocking." I mean...what? People find it shocking that I used to do gymnastics or that I used to play the violin or that I can swim faster than most of my friends. People are always gonna be shocked at a few things you like doing. The one about "We are different but EQUAL" was awe.some. lots of people still find it shocking when a "pretty" girl is interested in sciences or maths. doesn't help that movies/music/etc still reinforce the idea that only ugly/nerdy girls are interested in those things - and that popular/pretty girls aren't/shouldn't be.
photosynthesis Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 Meh. I used to be a Womyn's Studies major with the hairy armpits and the Ani DiFranco CD's. I became a much happier, saner person when I left feminism. Although I still forgo armpit shaving when it isn't swimsuit season :paperbag: . But that's mostly due to laziness.
PhuturePriest Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 Meh. I used to be a Womyn's Studies major with the hairy armpits and the Ani DiFranco CD's. I became a much happier, saner person when I left feminism. Although I still forgo armpit shaving when it isn't swimsuit season :paperbag: . But that's mostly due to laziness. There's a difference between feminism and sexism. True feminism is a good thing. Unfortunately, there are many sexist women going under the banner of "feminist" that are in charge of the movement and are thus making everyone think that's what feminism is. However, it is not.
DiscerningCatholic Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 lots of people still find it shocking when a "pretty" girl is interested in sciences or maths. doesn't help that movies/music/etc still reinforce the idea that only ugly/nerdy girls are interested in those things - and that popular/pretty girls aren't/shouldn't be. Well, in all of the movies I've seen, the popular, pretty girls are mean...so there's really no happy medium. :|
CrossCuT Posted June 18, 2013 Author Posted June 18, 2013 Well, in all of the movies I've seen, the popular, pretty girls are mean...so there's really no happy medium. :| Because mainstream/pop culture media is a good representation of real life. :smile3:
Lil Red Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 Well, in all of the movies I've seen, the popular, pretty girls are mean...so there's really no happy medium. :| but that's exactly my point.
Chestertonian Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 lots of people still find it shocking when a "pretty" girl is interested in sciences or maths. doesn't help that movies/music/etc still reinforce the idea that only ugly/nerdy girls are interested in those things - and that popular/pretty girls aren't/shouldn't be. The same could be said for men.
DiscerningCatholic Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 There's a difference between feminism and sexism. True feminism is a good thing. Unfortunately, there are many sexist women going under the banner of "feminist" that are in charge of the movement and are thus making everyone think that's what feminism is. However, it is not. THIS Because mainstream/pop culture media is a good representation of real life. :smile3: Which is why I don't get why I see feminists get so worked up over some stuff like this. You don't see nuns or priests in the street protesting "WE'RE NOT LIKE THAT" because the media gives suckish portrayals of them.
Lil Red Posted June 18, 2013 Posted June 18, 2013 Which is why I don't get why I see feminists get so worked up over some stuff like this. You don't see nuns or priests in the street protesting "WE'RE NOT LIKE THAT" because the media gives suckish portrayals of them. why do people get so worked up? because those stereotypes are still perpetuated and furthered in our real lives. and it pisses people me off.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now