Socrates Posted July 8, 2013 Posted July 8, 2013 I'd love to. Grassroots Organizing is a fundraising contracting company. Organizations like Planned Parenthood, Greenpeace, HRC et cetera pay them to raise money for them. Those positions being offered are for canvassers. That is, for people to walk around with clipboards and ask for donations (often dressed up in language about 'membership' which usually entails some sort of regular monthly donations). I know about Grassroots Organizing because they tried to recruit me for a director position. I don't like them. I'm not a big fan of them because I believe they give their entry level employees misleading information about what they'll actually be doing. Now, I know that those reports are manipulative and deceptive because I have had discussions with high level members of the organizations, did research on them before they interviewed me, and I have had friends who have worked for them as an entry level position. But anybody interested in getting to the truth could have learned what I know with five to ten minutes of googling. The OP and most of the posts on here simply concerned the chants, signs, etc. used by the pro-abortion protesters, so it was not clear what FH was referring to. Personally, I'm not particularly interested in who paid or didn't pay whom. The behavior of the protesters was both disgusting and revealing, regardless. (And arguing about whether PP directly paid protesters or outsourced to a third party contractor seems mostly pointless quibbling.) I didn't say anything about the "Hail, Satan" comments. Not that I have any problem with them. No, of course not.
4588686 Posted July 8, 2013 Posted July 8, 2013 The OP and most of the posts on here simply concerned the chants, signs, etc. used by the pro-abortion protesters, so it was not clear what FH was referring to. Personally, I'm not particularly interested in who paid or didn't pay whom. The behavior of the protesters was both disgusting and revealing, regardless. (And arguing about whether PP directly paid protesters or outsourced to a third party contractor seems mostly pointless quibbling.) The positions are for canvassers. Not to come protest. Those jobs are to walk around wit a clipboard and get people to donate to PP and other clients of Grassroots Organizing. And no. I don't have a problem with the chants. Why should I? As much as you complain and whine and moan about the modern tyranny of political correctness you sure get bent out of shape when people don't treat your beliefs with kids gloves.
Socrates Posted July 8, 2013 Posted July 8, 2013 Let them chant asinine, obscene, and idiotic things all they like. It only reveals their true character.
4588686 Posted July 8, 2013 Posted July 8, 2013 Let them chant asinine, obscene, and idiotic things all they like. It only reveals their true character. True. At least they didn't mockingly invoke Angra Mainyu. Then the poo would have really hit the fan. Because Angra Mainyu don't mess around.
Gabriela Posted July 8, 2013 Posted July 8, 2013 True. At least they didn't mockingly invoke Angra Mainyu. Then the poo would have really hit the fan. Because Angra Mainyu don't mess around. Hello, there! Welcome back! We've missed you! :-D
4588686 Posted July 8, 2013 Posted July 8, 2013 (edited) Hello, there! Welcome back! We've missed you! :-D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q111bDVYNXk Edited July 8, 2013 by Hasan
Didacus Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 (edited) Dear Christina Therese; My theology is not based on Narnia either, but Narnia is based on a theology common to Catholics. I think you are not far from the truth to cite the final book of the chronicles - I read these with my children a few years back. The Calormen soldier may have called the name of Tash, but held in his heart the truth of Aslan - hence as Aslan explained to the Calormen soldier later, that all which is done that is good good belonged to Him (Aslan) and all that is done that is bad belongs to Tash. In as such, it is not the name or the tag of what you implore that is important, but the substance (the intent?) behind what you implore. Those children may be mislead, but the light is ever so present for them as it is for us, and in humble truth - we all are in need of the same prayers. I am truly stunned that protesters are actualy being paid to protest. That explanation about GrassRoots only helping raise funds doesn't seem accurate in my opinion - you gonna send out bus loads of people to raise money? May be, but the net effect in my opinion is simply to inflate the protester numbers - and it is still being paid by PP, and the goal remains to influence legislation and public opinion with their own tax dollars. I don't care how you paint it, something in there isn't right, no matter the cause. As for the chanting - most of them, at least I hope, chanted in ignorance, wihout realizing the severity of their actions. At least in that facet, some of the guilt is alleviated. And we as catholics should not react to this and make a scandal out of it. We should not draw ourselves into what would be nothing more than a red-herring or diversion. Let us focus on the goal; saving lives, and saving the hearts and souls of those most harmed by abortion (and sin altogether). I still believe the most fundamental truth about the debate was expressed by JP the Great when he said: in order for society to change, the hearts must change. Which actually, was just an echoe of what Jesus taught. We thus should not so much aim to pass laws so much as to change the hearts of those who deny themselves the fundamental truths of life. Nothing short of this will end the mass murders of our times. Edited July 9, 2013 by Didacus
4588686 Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 I am truly stunned that protesters are actualy being paid to protest. That explanation about GrassRoots only helping raise funds doesn't seem accurate in my opinion - you gonna send out bus loads of people to raise money? May be, but the net effect in my opinion is simply to inflate the protester numbers - and it is still being paid by PP, and the goal remains to influence legislation and public opinion with their own tax dollars. I don't care how you paint it, something in there isn't right, no matter the cause. Busloads of people being driven in and being paid to do it? Source?
ChristinaTherese Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 Dear Christina Therese; My theology is not based on Narnia either, but Narnia is based on a theology common to Catholics. I think you are not far from the truth to cite the final book of the chronicles - I read these with my children a few years back. I know, I just felt like I had cited it extremely commonly of late (which I may or may not have, depending on the definition of "extremely commonly", and I doubt that I had) and wanted to explain, perhaps mostly to myself, the answer to an annoying and unreasonable question that popped into my head. Oh, and The Last Battle is definitely one of the best books ever. And I've probably been thinking of it more because I read the whole series (except for the first few chapters of The Magician's Nephew, because I wanted to relax the day I picked them up and didn't think those chapters would help) over the last few months.
Chestertonian Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 Busloads of people being driven in and being paid to do it? Source? The CL ad was bogus?
4588686 Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 The CL ad was bogus? The actual ads are almost never listed in the articles. All of the ones that I have seen eventually link back to the ad shown in this article:http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/07/01/proabortion-activists-being-paid-to-protest-n1631531 Which is pretty broiler-plate for Grassroots Organizing's ads. Here: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/gov/3921634782.html It's substantively identical to the first ad, with a bit more hyperbole. That one is for positions in DC in my neighborhood. There are no abortion rights protests occurring in my neighborhood. I pass by their employees every day on the way to work. They are paid canvassers. They try to flag you down, ask you if you support women's rights, and then try to get you to give to PP. That's how Grassroots Organizing earns money. By getting people to give money to Planned Parenthood, Greenpeace, HRC, et cetera. They aren't paying people to protest. Why would they? A lot of the people working for them are earnest enough (and have a political science degree with nothing to use it for) but this is a for-profit company. They make money by being good at being contractors (they claim to be consultants but they are in fact contractors) for the fundraising divisions of these organizations. I wouldn't be surprised if Grassroots had employees go to the protests to solicit donations, however. But you're talking about a tiny fraction of the people there. Although I'm sure that most of their employees are ideologically sympathetic to the PP cause. Grassroots is kind of known for being sleazy in luring recent graduates in with this vague language which suggests some life doing cool Saul Alinsky type community organizing. But that's why I consider them an unethical and manipulative organization. I mean they do tell their employees that their job is just raising money. But it's still kind of a cruel bait and switch to bring somebody in thinking their going to be doing something interesting and meaningful and then handing them a clipboard. That's true of the higher up people. Even like the canvasing directors have to raise their quota of donations plus basic office/managerial work. I don't feel bad for Grassroots for getting this negative coverage. There's a poetic justice to it. Their ads are so vague that without context the stories can seem initially believable and that's because their ads are trying to make the applicants make a mental jump and assume they're going to be doing interesting/substantive political work when they really won't be. So as far as I'm concerned they're just getting what they deserve here. But you should know that you too are being manipulated. As carefully worded and yet ambiguous as many of the headlines are on the sites hying this story I get the impression that the author's know that they're manipulating their readership. But maybe some of them really think that their stories are true and these organizations are paying people to protest.
PhuturePriest Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 The actual ads are almost never listed in the articles. All of the ones that I have seen eventually link back to the ad shown in this article:http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/07/01/proabortion-activists-being-paid-to-protest-n1631531 Which is pretty broiler-plate for Grassroots Organizing's ads. Here: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/gov/3921634782.html It's substantively identical to the first ad, with a bit more hyperbole. That one is for positions in DC in my neighborhood. There are no abortion rights protests occurring in my neighborhood. I pass by their employees every day on the way to work. They are paid canvassers. They try to flag you down, ask you if you support women's rights, and then try to get you to give to PP. That's how Grassroots Organizing earns money. By getting people to give money to Planned Parenthood, Greenpeace, HRC, et cetera. They aren't paying people to protest. Why would they? A lot of the people working for them are earnest enough (and have a political science degree with nothing to use it for) but this is a for-profit company. They make money by being good at being contractors (they claim to be consultants but they are in fact contractors) for the fundraising divisions of these organizations. I wouldn't be surprised if Grassroots had employees go to the protests to solicit donations, however. But you're talking about a tiny fraction of the people there. Although I'm sure that most of their employees are ideologically sympathetic to the PP cause. Grassroots is kind of known for being sleazy in luring recent graduates in with this vague language which suggests some life doing cool Saul Alinsky type community organizing. But that's why I consider them an unethical and manipulative organization. I mean they do tell their employees that their job is just raising money. But it's still kind of a cruel bait and switch to bring somebody in thinking their going to be doing something interesting and meaningful and then handing them a clipboard. That's true of the higher up people. Even like the canvasing directors have to raise their quota of donations plus basic office/managerial work. I don't feel bad for Grassroots for getting this negative coverage. There's a poetic justice to it. Their ads are so vague that without context the stories can seem initially believable and that's because their ads are trying to make the applicants make a mental jump and assume they're going to be doing interesting/substantive political work when they really won't be. So as far as I'm concerned they're just getting what they deserve here. But you should know that you too are being manipulated. As carefully worded and yet ambiguous as many of the headlines are on the sites hying this story I get the impression that the author's know that they're manipulating their readership. But maybe some of them really think that their stories are true and these organizations are paying people to protest. Hasan! I've missed your sarcasm and tl;dr posts and all your links which probably have interesting information but I'm too lazy to read them... :cry4:
4588686 Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 Hasan! I've missed your sarcasm and tl;dr posts and all your links which probably have interesting information but I'm too lazy to read them... :cry4: tl;dr
Chestertonian Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 The actual ads are almost never listed in the articles. All of the ones that I have seen eventually link back to the ad shown in this article:http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/07/01/proabortion-activists-being-paid-to-protest-n1631531 Which is pretty broiler-plate for Grassroots Organizing's ads. Here: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/gov/3921634782.html It's substantively identical to the first ad, with a bit more hyperbole. That one is for positions in DC in my neighborhood. There are no abortion rights protests occurring in my neighborhood. I pass by their employees every day on the way to work. They are paid canvassers. They try to flag you down, ask you if you support women's rights, and then try to get you to give to PP. That's how Grassroots Organizing earns money. By getting people to give money to Planned Parenthood, Greenpeace, HRC, et cetera. They aren't paying people to protest. Why would they? A lot of the people working for them are earnest enough (and have a political science degree with nothing to use it for) but this is a for-profit company. They make money by being good at being contractors (they claim to be consultants but they are in fact contractors) for the fundraising divisions of these organizations. I wouldn't be surprised if Grassroots had employees go to the protests to solicit donations, however. But you're talking about a tiny fraction of the people there. Although I'm sure that most of their employees are ideologically sympathetic to the PP cause. Grassroots is kind of known for being sleazy in luring recent graduates in with this vague language which suggests some life doing cool Saul Alinsky type community organizing. But that's why I consider them an unethical and manipulative organization. I mean they do tell their employees that their job is just raising money. But it's still kind of a cruel bait and switch to bring somebody in thinking their going to be doing something interesting and meaningful and then handing them a clipboard. That's true of the higher up people. Even like the canvasing directors have to raise their quota of donations plus basic office/managerial work. I don't feel bad for Grassroots for getting this negative coverage. There's a poetic justice to it. Their ads are so vague that without context the stories can seem initially believable and that's because their ads are trying to make the applicants make a mental jump and assume they're going to be doing interesting/substantive political work when they really won't be. So as far as I'm concerned they're just getting what they deserve here. But you should know that you too are being manipulated. As carefully worded and yet ambiguous as many of the headlines are on the sites hying this story I get the impression that the author's know that they're manipulating their readership. But maybe some of them really think that their stories are true and these organizations are paying people to protest. I've no doubt that both sides sensationalize these types of things. The country's more or less split down the middle in regards to abortion, so it doesn't seem incredulous to me that there'd be so many (unpaid) pro-choice activists out there, especially in Austin.
franciscanheart Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 link? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Grassroots+Campaigns :hehe: Sorry. Snark is my forte. But seriously, Hasan gave great information. I tend to pause when I see claims like these -- not because they can't possibly be true, but because many conservatives experience intense knee-jerk reactions. There's a reason FOX is still around and other outlets still twist stories. People believe what they want to believe and if you give them just enough crazy, they'll take it and RUN.
KnightofChrist Posted July 9, 2013 Author Posted July 9, 2013 http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Grassroots+Campaigns :hehe: Sorry. Snark is my forte. But seriously, Hasan gave great information. I tend to pause when I see claims like these -- not because they can't possibly be true, but because many conservatives experience intense knee-jerk reactions. There's a reason FOX is still around and other outlets still twist stories. People believe what they want to believe and if you give them just enough crazy, they'll take it and RUN. I'm not going to go through and read the thread again, but I don't recall many or anyone really upset about "Grassroots Campaigns" but about the chant to Satan, and the rudeness/nastiness of the pro-abortion protesters.
Lilllabettt Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 im sorry. are my reading comprehension skills lacking or something? It seems like there are a bunch of abortion rights protestors chanting "hail Satan." As far as I can tell no one is doubting it happened, since there is a video of it. Are we denying that the "hail Satan" chanters really support abortion rights? or something? Or we are asserting/denying that they are paid to be there? (who cares? does prejudice against a class of human being get more or less despicable because there is money involved?)
Luigi Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Grassroots+Campaigns :hehe: Sorry. Snark is my forte. But seriously, Hasan gave great information. I tend to pause when I see claims like these -- not because they can't possibly be true, but because many conservatives experience intense knee-jerk reactions. There's a reason FOX is still around and other outlets still twist stories. People believe what they want to believe and if you give them just enough crazy, they'll take it and RUN. And so do liberals. It's what passes for political discourse these days.
franciscanheart Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 im sorry. are my reading comprehension skills lacking or something?It seems like there are a bunch of abortion rights protestors chanting "hail Satan." As far as I can tell no one is doubting it happened, since there is a video of it.Are we denying that the "hail Satan" chanters really support abortion rights? or something?Or we are asserting/denying that they are paid to be there? (who cares? does prejudice against a class of human being get more or less despicable because there is money involved?)Judging solely by this post, they may be.No one is saying the chants didn't happen. No one is denying those protesters support abortion. The only thing that was clarified was that the people protesting were not paid to do so. The paid positions someone mentioned here were not protesting positions, but canvassing positions.This seems like a fairly easy concept to grasp, but perhaps my intelligence and/or reading comprehension is just superior. I don't like to make assumptions.
Lilllabettt Posted July 9, 2013 Posted July 9, 2013 The only thing that was clarified was that the people protesting were not paid to do so. The paid positions someone mentioned here were not protesting positions, but canvassing positions. Who cares??? This seems like a fairly easy concept to grasp, but perhaps my intelligence and/or reading comprehension is just superior. I don't like to make assumptions. If you have felt superior to others for most of your life, it may be that you are, in fact, superior. If the feeling of superiority is isolated to this thread, that is less likely to be the case.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now