An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Sort Of Headcovering Do You Utilize During Prayer?

Renee the Nunnabe

Renee the Nunnabe

That is, of course, if you utilize any headcovering at all!

I believe that headcovering is a beautiful thing, and I'm curious to find out how y'all go about doing it.     

I use scarves, veils that I've made by hand, bandanas, et cetera. I, sadly, do not have a mantilla at the moment. I just ordered a new scarf and snood yesterday, and I'm so excited about getting to use them! :bounce:

Spem in alium

Headcovering is beautiful :)

I usually wear a lace veil (not really a mantilla, it's literally just a strip of lace) or a scarf during Adoration and Benediction, and am starting to wear it during the Office too. 

Stella Matutina

I love mantillas! :proud:

I've never used anything other than a mantilla once I started using headcoverings. I just love how they look, and how easy they are to keep in your purse so that you can quickly throw one on when you need to. I have a couple of black ones and a blue one. I thought that I would like having a colorful one, but I find myself gravitating back to the black mantillas.

Renee the Nunnabe

Headcovering is beautiful :)

I usually wear a lace veil (not really a mantilla, it's literally just a strip of lace) or a scarf during Adoration and Benediction, and am starting to wear it during the Office too. 

=D

I made a black veil out of satin and I put lace around the edges, but then I realized that it made me look like a nun so I can't wear it without causing confusion. (oops)     

I love mantillas! :proud:

I've never used anything other than a mantilla once I started using headcoverings. I just love how they look, and how easy they are to keep in your purse so that you can quickly throw one on when you need to. I have a couple of black ones and a blue one. I thought that I would like having a colorful one, but I find myself gravitating back to the black mantillas.

Mantillas are beautiful! When I see someone wearing one, I get so excited and happy. (And that's fairly rare, because there are only a handful of veiling women in my parish.

Yeah, that's one of the great things about them -- you can put them in your pocket or your purse, and then you take it out, and voila! a lovely veil.

I saw a mantilla that was black with roses. It was so beautiful; if I had had the money at the time, I think I would have bought it.     

Pax_et bonum

I wore a hat on and off for a couple of years, but I recently bought a black mantilla! My parents gave me a white chapel cap for Christmas last year, so I wear that sometimes when it's easier to grab than my mantilla. I went to adoration with a couple of friends Saturday, and one has a beautiful pink mantilla  :proud:

Renee the Nunnabe

I wore a hat on and off for a couple of years, but I recently bought a black mantilla! My parents gave me a white chapel cap for Christmas last year, so I wear that sometimes when it's easier to grab than my mantilla. I went to adoration with a couple of friends Saturday, and one has a beautiful pink mantilla  :proud:

Pink?! Ahhhh! I like that. I wouldn't wear one (it would clash with my red hair), but . . . it makes me think of the Pink Sisters. :)         

TheresaThoma

I wear either a mantilla or a snood. Sometimes I will wear a solid colored bandanna to daily Mass during the summer.

Kayte Postle

I wear a black jersey knit infinity scarf that I made myself. The jersey has enough "grab" on my hair that it comfortably stays in place without needing any bobby pins/etc.

I bought this one from Etsy.  A tad more expensive (it is Etsy after all) but I love it! I've only used it at home during prayer.  Next step: wear it during adoration.

il_570xN.383294706_pj6h.jpg

BarbTherese

I don't wear a head covering during prayer, but I must admit that they do have an aura of "adoration, respect and devotion" about them from pictures I've seen of women wearing them.  I've never seen any sort of head covering in a Catholic Church for years now (not even hats when I think about it) and to wear one in my Catholic environment (I'm in Australia), I think one would need to be prepared to 'stand out in the crowd' here rather than 'blend into the pews' and this can mean flak sometimes.  I do think, however, that sometimes it takes just one to be prepared to stand out in some way for something cultural to 'catch on' and become common - and where female head covering is concerned, cultural once more - and I am certainly not adverse to that i.e. to swim against the tide, to be different and unique and not 'part of a herd' for the sake of it -  and all this is very heavily dependant on motivation(s).

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I wear a black lace veil. I started wearing a hat (crocheted by myself!), back when I first started wearing any kind of headcovering, so as not to attract too much attention, but that idea quickly went out the window when my priest said to me: "What is that thing on your head?! You don't have to do that anymore!" After that, I figured that it didn't matter what kind of headcovering I wore, since I was attracting attention anyway, so I went with a veil like I'd wanted to in the first place. I wear it when I'm in church, but not when I'm just praying at home.

These are some of the most beautiful that I've seen in a long time, and the lady who makes them is really nice!:

http://rosamysticamantilla.com/

maximillion

I wear a long veil type thing for prayer at home, it is similar to what an Asian woman might wear with a sari, and I have them in all colours. Even my cat knows not to disturb me when I am veiled in this way.

For church I wear either a hat (winter) or a bandana - it does not seem at all unusual since we are having a bit of a heat wave here and many people are wearing head covering for being in the sun. I would love to be totally outrageous and wear something truly beautiful like an Amish starched cap.....

I also dye my own fabric and have some lovely scarves I wear on feast days, wrapped round and round turban like or folded into a triangle and tied.

No one at church has ever commented on my head gear, though few cover their own these days.

I also tend to wear head gear all the time not only for prayer - still miss my veil!