An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Sort Of Headcovering Do You Utilize During Prayer?

Renee the Nunnabe

Renee the Nunnabe

I wear a black mantilla, although I do have a cream colored one,  but I have never gotten anything out of wearing it probably because I don't wear it for myself.  I use a bobby pin and I have never had any problems.  If I don't have a bobby pin, then I tie it under my chin on my way up to the altar rail so it doesn't fall off.   I actually feel naked without it.

I get that feeling of nakedness without my covering, too.          

AveMariaPurissima

Most of the time I wear a black lace mantilla that I made.  I plan on making a white one soon.  Once in a while I wear a hat instead, and even more rarely, a bandanna.  I don't necessarily always wear a covering when I'm in church, though.

ChristinaTherese

I have a cream mantilla with light blue edges and a bright pink scarf (I've been tying the scarf in ways that I've found explained by Jewish women online), and I want a couple more scarves and mantillas.... But I don't think I can afford that at the moment.

TheresaThoma

I get that feeling of nakedness without my covering, too.          

Same here, after about a year of wearing some time of covering it feels really odd and slightly uncomfortable to not have some sort of head covering while in church!

MarysLittleFlower

That is, of course, if you utilize any headcovering at all!

I believe that headcovering is a beautiful thing, and I'm curious to find out how y'all go about doing it.     

I use scarves, veils that I've made by hand, bandanas, et cetera. I, sadly, do not have a mantilla at the moment. I just ordered a new scarf and snood yesterday, and I'm so excited about getting to use them! :bounce:

I wear a veil or a scarf or a hat at Mass, depending on which parish I'm at - at the Latin Mass I wear a mantilla or scarf :)

I wear a phylactery to prayer.  It is a traditional devotional object and reminds us of the presence of God.  Just kidding about wearing it.  Why is it more essential to devotion to wear a headcovering in prayer?

Lol! Thank you!

My spiritual director strongly suggested I not cover my head in Church or otherwise as it tends to be more of a distraction and might be vanity in my case. His concern was that I might mistake the "feeling of holiness" for "actual holiness" and he wants me to focus on my devotions in prayer. Though I do love a lovely mantilla... I just can't justify it for myself. :)

I will tell him about the phylactery. Pretty sure he's going to laugh!

Pax_et bonum

Welcome, Ima lurker  :wave:

I'm not suggesting going against your sd's advice at all, but if this is something you feel called to do, you might want to talk to him about if he's against headcoverings for prayer in general or if he just thinks you aren't ready yet. Even very good, orthodox priests can be opposed to more traditional things like this. 

I have a question for anyone who covers at a NO Mass: do you kneel to receive the Eucharist? I'm conflicted because kneeling is definitely my preference, and why should I kneel at the EF and not the OF; but I'm already the only one at my parish who veils.

Welcome, Ima lurker  :wave:

I'm not suggesting going against your sd's advice at all, but if this is something you feel called to do, you might want to talk to him about if he's against headcoverings for prayer in general or if he just thinks you aren't ready yet. Even very good, orthodox priests can be opposed to more traditional things like this. 

I have a question for anyone who covers at a NO Mass: do you kneel to receive the Eucharist? I'm conflicted because kneeling is definitely my preference, and why should I kneel at the EF and not the OF; but I'm already the only one at my parish who veils.

Thank you!

I think it's a twofold problem in my case. His Reverence has been my spiritual director for almost 20 years so he actually knows me. :) I think his preference is for me to blend in wherever I am so as not to draw attention to myself in prayer. And I'd complain but spontaneous prayer is coming easier to me and I find myself praying in remarkable places (such as praying while grocery shopping).. in case I'm misrepresenting my s.d., I am grateful for him. Even if I can't have a mantilla! :)

And, as a home school mom with small kids, much of my prayer at home is during the drudgery of housekeeping and quite frankly, it's not practical while washing dishes or cleaning the bathroom if you know what I mean so I couldn't argue there.

And it seems His Reverence wants to me to learn to practice the presence of God all throughout the day so as not to tax myself while caring for my kids which is why I pray while I work.

His concern has been that I focus on my interior prayer worrying less about the exterior, myself or anyone else. Not to criticise anyone, just trying to share my own story.

As for kneeling for Communion, my family follows the customs of the Church wherever we attend Mass. There is a Convent (N.O. Mass) where kneeling is the custom so my family kneels but otherwise we stand, just bowing before Him.

Hope that's not needlessly wordy, I'm not used to ANY form of social networking (including forums) but am happy to be here. So thank you.

BarbTherese

I couldn't help but notice that you stated "I think his preference".  It is ok to ask your director for his reason or reasons for stating whatever.  :)

MarysLittleFlower

The issue of "standing out" has been a concern of mine... I try to just focus on my prayers. I try to wear a headcovering in such a way that it doesn't stand out too much. For example, I have a beautiful long white veil that I've worn to the TLM but there it fits in because other women wear veils too. At my parish near my family's home, it would get a lot of attention. I usually wear a crochet beret, but I don't like how much of my hair is still visible, so I'm planning on making an infinity scarf or a smaller headcovering that I can just tie up. I love the TLM parishes cause people there have a similar spirituality and I can go there and not worry about standing out.

Pax_et bonum

We're happy you're here too. It's really helpful for some of us younger ones to have a parent's point of view as we discern priesthood or consecrated life, so you're more than welcome to hang out in VS if you'd like :)

Please know that I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, but since you posted in this thread, I assume you have some interest in headcoverings? There's no need to cover every time you pray especially when you're praying in the grocery store or while cleaning bathrooms. Some women do like to cover all the time, but that's not too prevalent for Catholics, I don't think, in most of our cultures (US, UK, Australia, etc.)--well, outside of women religious who wear a veil as part of their habits. Those who don't cover full time mostly cover in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, and some like to cover for formal prayer like Liturgy of the House since it's a continuation of the Mass or for time set apart specifically for prayer like family night prayer. While we may traditionally think of Catholic women in chapel veils or mantillas, women also use scarves, hats, bandannas, snoods, and wide headbands among others, I'm sure, to cover as the posts in this thread show.

We're happy you're here too. It's really helpful for some of us younger ones to have a parent's point of view as we discern priesthood or consecrated life, so you're more than welcome to hang out in VS if you'd like :)

Please know that I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, but since you posted in this thread, I assume you have some interest in headcoverings? There's no need to cover every time you pray especially when you're praying in the grocery store or while cleaning bathrooms. Some women do like to cover all the time, but that's not too prevalent for Catholics, I don't think, in most of our cultures (US, UK, Australia, etc.)--well, outside of women religious who wear a veil as part of their habits. Those who don't cover full time mostly cover in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, and some like to cover for formal prayer like Liturgy of the House since it's a continuation of the Mass or for time set apart specifically for prayer like family night prayer. While we may traditionally think of Catholic women in chapel veils or mantillas, women also use scarves, hats, bandannas, snoods, and wide headbands among others, I'm sure, to cover as the posts in this thread show.

Oh, I see my mistake. I read a lot of posts on phatmass in the different forums but am generally too shy to say anything. It was more of the phylactery joke that got me laughing and helped me overcome my normal social awkwardness. Thank you for your kindness, Pax et bonum.

I did go through the process of discernment many years ago, my sd was against me wearing them even then. As for my interest, while they are very beautiful, they don't seem practical or necessary and my I think he knew that *I'd* be in danger of romanticising prayer and "feeling" holy. While feelings are good, they rarely last and when they're gone, we have to keep "trucking along". I did enter a religious Community - again, this was years ago - but discovered that I was meant for something else and left on good terms with them. It's not an experience I would trade for anything.

Also, in case it needs to be said, I was no way laughing at anyone else's preference for head covering or dress but cracked up at the one joke.

Where I currently live, the little old ladies (beatas) at Mass still cover their heads and I see them in Church clicking their rosary beads throughout the day. So yes, I'm still very curious about them.

Again, thank you for your kindness, I had forgotten I was reading threads on VS and would not have posted had I remembered.

maximillion

Oh, please don't feel that because you are not discerning to the Religious Life that you can't post on VS.

I'm like you, I was in a community many many moons ago and I am here more than anywhere else! But no, I am not discerning to the RL either.

Oh, please don't feel that because you are not discerning to the Religious Life that you can't post on VS.

I'm like you, I was in a community many many moons ago and I am here more than anywhere else! But no, I am not discerning to the RL either.

Again, thank you! I am new to social networking and figured it would be ironic to blunder on my first post anywhere!