An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Sort Of Headcovering Do You Utilize During Prayer?

Renee the Nunnabe

OnlySunshine

I utilize my hair :|

Same here.  I have 2 mantillas - my favorite is antique lace - but I rarely use them.  The newest one is so slippery that it falls off my head and is a real distraction.  I've tried bobby pins and it still won't stay in place.  :(

Little Flower

Same here.  I have 2 mantillas - my favorite is antique lace - but I rarely use them.  The newest one is so slippery that it falls off my head and is a real distraction.  I've tried bobby pins and it still won't stay in place.  :(

I guess, personally, I think it would be more of a distraction for me than actually an aid to prayer. I would either be thinking the whole time about how nice I looked with my mantilla, or about how it was going to fall off. Either that or think that I was better than the other people for wearing it. So I'm sure that it is actually helpful to a lot of people, but I really don't think it would help me. I guess I just don't see how putting some lace on my head is going to help me pray...

OnlySunshine

I guess, personally, I think it would be more of a distraction for me than actually an aid to prayer. I would either be thinking the whole time about how nice I looked with my mantilla, or about how it was going to fall off. Either that or think that I was better than the other people for wearing it. So I'm sure that it is actually helpful to a lot of people, but I really don't think it would help me. I guess I just don't see how putting some lace on my head is going to help me pray...

I hear ya.  I understand it helps others but it's a distraction to me, too.  I have ADD so it doesn't help.  Especially if it is about to fall off and I keep pulling it up.  ;)

Pax_et bonum

My black veil has a comb sewn in which holds it in place very well, no slippage at all. As for being concerned about looks, put on a chapel cap first and you won't worry about it anymore. At least for me, I think I look a bit silly with it on, but since looks aren't a reason to veil, it doesn't matter. Veiling helps me because it contributes to the sense of the sacred and reminds me of whose presence I'm in. There's more to it than that and there's theology behind it, but I think that's what it boils down to for me. For me it was easier to begin veiling after I started attending the EF where all the women veiled. That takes care of pride because everyone's doing it, and even when I wear it outside of the EF, I don't think I'm better or holier than everyone. (Our diocesan hermit is the holiest person I know, and I've never seen her veil.) There are benefits to veiling, but it isn't obligatory so you have to choose it on your own.

Stella Matutina

Either that or think that I was better than the other people for wearing it. So I'm sure that it is actually helpful to a lot of people, but I really don't think it would help me. I guess I just don't see how putting some lace on my head is going to help me pray...

Goodness, why would you think you were better than other people just for wearing "some lace on your head"? I have certainly never experienced this side effect from simply wearing a chapel veil and minding my own business. :think:

OnlySunshine

My black veil has a comb sewn in which holds it in place very well, no slippage at all. As for being concerned about looks, put on a chapel cap first and you won't worry about it anymore. At least for me, I think I look a bit silly with it on, but since looks aren't a reason to veil, it doesn't matter. Veiling helps me because it contributes to the sense of the sacred and reminds me of whose presence I'm in. There's more to it than that and there's theology behind it, but I think that's what it boils down to for me. For me it was easier to begin veiling after I started attending the EF where all the women veiled. That takes care of pride because everyone's doing it, and even when I wear it outside of the EF, I don't think I'm better or holier than everyone. (Our diocesan hermit is the holiest person I know, and I've never seen her veil.) There are benefits to veiling, but it isn't obligatory so you have to choose it on your own.

For a while, I really wanted to wear the veil every time I went to Mass or Adoration.  However, I am an EMHC and now a coordinator in that role for the Mass I attend which means that I help my pastor fill in the spots as needed and tell the Sacristan to pull the unnecessary chalices and ciboriums before Mass begins.  My pastor has requested that we do not try to draw attention to ourselves through baring cleavage (although this is still a problem with at least one person), open toed shoes, and hats.  There was an EMHC for a while who wore a veil every Mass - even when she was serving as EMHC - but my pastor must have asked her to step down because she is no longer part of the ministry.  I don't think he's doing it to be mean or disrespectful - quite the contrary.  :)

abrideofChrist

I wear a phylactery to prayer.  It is a traditional devotional object and reminds us of the presence of God.  Just kidding about wearing it.  Why is it more essential to devotion to wear a headcovering in prayer?

Renee the Nunnabe

I wear a long veil type thing for prayer at home, it is similar to what an Asian woman might wear with a sari, and I have them in all colours. Even my cat knows not to disturb me when I am veiled in this way.

For church I wear either a hat (winter) or a bandana - it does not seem at all unusual since we are having a bit of a heat wave here and many people are wearing head covering for being in the sun. I would love to be totally outrageous and wear something truly beautiful like an Amish starched cap.....

I also dye my own fabric and have some lovely scarves I wear on feast days, wrapped round and round turban like or folded into a triangle and tied.

No one at church has ever commented on my head gear, though few cover their own these days.

I also tend to wear head gear all the time not only for prayer - still miss my veil!

I love that you mentioned this, because I'm actually planning on buying a kapp! I can recommend a few reputable online shops for you if you decide to go ahead and do that. Or you could just buy one on eBay.           

Your method of veiling seems very beautiful.             

I recommend getting a comb and having it sewn in. =)          

I wear a phylactery to prayer.  It is a traditional devotional object and reminds us of the presence of God.  Just kidding about wearing it.  Why is it more essential to devotion to wear a headcovering in prayer?

Hey, each to their own! =)             

P.S. - when you said phlyactery, I was so confused and had to look it up. And then I saw a picture and immediately knew that it was just an unfamiliar term for a familiar thing. xD I feel a little dumb.                      

Renee the Nunnabe

I wear a black lace veil. I started wearing a hat (crocheted by myself!), back when I first started wearing any kind of headcovering, so as not to attract too much attention, but that idea quickly went out the window when my priest said to me: "What is that thing on your head?! You don't have to do that anymore!" After that, I figured that it didn't matter what kind of headcovering I wore, since I was attracting attention anyway, so I went with a veil like I'd wanted to in the first place. I wear it when I'm in church, but not when I'm just praying at home.

These are some of the most beautiful that I've seen in a long time, and the lady who makes them is really nice!:

http://rosamysticamantilla.com/

Thanks for the link. I've been looking at veilsbylily.com, but when I saw the color of the dark green veil from Rosa Mystical Mantilla . . . wow. =D And the price is pretty good, too.                                 

I really, really love green.                        

OnlySunshine

I recommend getting a comb and having it sewn in. =)          

While I love veiling and I love the antique mantilla I have, veiling really isn't for me.  I think it's beautiful, though.  ;)

BarbTherese

I wear a long veil type thing for prayer at home, it is similar to what an Asian woman might wear with a sari, and I have them in all colours. Even my cat knows not to disturb me when I am veiled in this way.

For church I wear either a hat (winter) or a bandana - it does not seem at all unusual since we are having a bit of a heat wave here and many people are wearing head covering for being in the sun. I would love to be totally outrageous and wear something truly beautiful like an Amish starched cap.....

I also dye my own fabric and have some lovely scarves I wear on feast days, wrapped round and round turban like or folded into a triangle and tied.

No one at church has ever commented on my head gear, though few cover their own these days.

I also tend to wear head gear all the time not only for prayer - still miss my veil!

My cat and dog know what "Prayer Time!" means and race ahead of me to my Prayer Space and while I am praying, they go to sleep.

I don't know if wearing a head covering does anything for the wearer, since I don't wear one.  But I do think it could depict an aura of "adoration, devotion and respect" to others, although how another person 'receives' something is in their ball court.

inperpetuity

I wear a black mantilla, although I do have a cream colored one,  but I have never gotten anything out of wearing it probably because I don't wear it for myself.  I use a bobby pin and I have never had any problems.  If I don't have a bobby pin, then I tie it under my chin on my way up to the altar rail so it doesn't fall off.   I actually feel naked without it.