An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pray For The New Guys, Please

Luigi

Two first professions at St. Joseph Carmel (St. Louis, MO) in June and July, '13.

http://carmelite-nuns.org/lafayette.html (first and fourth pictures in the slide show on the home page). Another slide shows a partial group picture - it looks like they have four white veils.

Also, this carmel will celebrate its 150th anniversary on October 1, 2013 - its the second oldest in the country.

dymphnamaria

Convington (Louisiana) Carmel seems to have tow postulants and two novices, but the photo isn't dated. So it's hard to know...

http://carmelite-nuns.org/lafayette.html (second photo in the series of 12)

The two postulants in the picture are now novices,while the novices have already professed Solemn Vows.

http://www.lafayettecarmelites.org/#novices

dymphnamaria

Thanks for the update! That's the way we hope things will move along, isn't it?

Exactly! Prayers for their holy perseverance. :pray:

ChristinaTherese

The Western Dominican province has first professions coming up soon (I don't remember when, I didn't even think to as Br. Pius this morning, and I'm on my phone so I don't want to check). The novices are in retreat at Mt. Angel Abbey now, so I think it can't be very long at all.

ETA: And I'd guess that there are maybe 6-8 or so of them (they stuck out easily among the monks, but they were also blocked from my view by the monks and I was paying attention to more important things anyway).

Edited by Christina Thérèse

TheresaThoma

Dominican Friars Central Province have 6 brothers making first profession on the 11th. 

(Its wonderful to see all these different communities getting new vocations!) 

ChristinaTherese

The Western Dominican province has first professions coming up soon (I don't remember when, I didn't even think to as Br. Pius this morning, and I'm on my phone so I don't want to check). The novices are in retreat at Mt. Angel Abbey now, so I think it can't be very long at all.

ETA: And I'd guess that there are maybe 6-8 or so of them (they stuck out easily among the monks, but they were also blocked from my view by the monks and I was paying attention to more important things anyway).

I have internet again, so I checked. There are four of them (I could have sworn that I saw more than four at Mt. Angel, but that probably included the novice master... :shrug:), and their profession date is August 31. http://novices.opwest.org/wordpress/2013/06/invitation-to-our-first-profession/

Also, there will be new seminarians for the Archdiocese of Portland (I don't know how many, I haven't thought to ask) starting at Mt. Angel on August 18 (if my memory serves correctly), and I assume that there will be seminarians for other dioceses there as well.

It's nice to hear some good news every now and then, isn't it? And there will be more. I think a lot of Benedictine monasteries receive novices on the feast of the Immaculate Conception. 

I have internet again, so I checked. There are four of them (I could have sworn that I saw more than four at Mt. Angel, but that probably included the novice master... :shrug:), and their profession date is August 31. http://novices.opwest.org/wordpress/2013/06/invitation-to-our-first-profession/

Also, there will be new seminarians for the Archdiocese of Portland (I don't know how many, I haven't thought to ask) starting at Mt. Angel on August 18 (if my memory serves correctly), and I assume that there will be seminarians for other dioceses there as well.

You beat me to posting that, Christina Therese!!!!

I'm pretty sure that at least their novice master, Fr. Anthony, would have been with them.  They are a lovely bunch, and we loved having them at our parish in San Francisco!!!

Not sure exactly which date, but usually the new postulants arrive around mid-August (usually for the Assumption) and receive the habit as novices just before the Profession date.... so stay tuned....

And, a friend of mine who has been a postulant with the OFMs for the Western Province for the last year is just about to become a Novice... .he will be attending an interprovincial communal novitiate in Wisconsin.... and he is SO excited!!!!!

St. Meinrad has two novices and a candidate, plus a regular stream of short-term observers.

I can find only one mentioned on their home page, but that's okay because... Novice Dane DeDecker has been an over-the-road trucker for the past twelve years! 

Makes me wish Johnny Cash were still alive so he could write a song about it. Let's see, it'd go ... 

I'm haulin' freight for Jesus, I'm drivin' for the Lord,

'Til I join the monastery where I'll contemplate the Word...