An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mysterious Priest Performs Miracle At Site Of Mercedes Crash

ReinnieR

HisChildForever

She and others...group dilusion

You're referring to folie a deux (or folie a [insert the # of people involved]). The initial delusional beliefs occurs during a psychotic episode. And there's no evidence to suggest the girl, or anyone else on scene, was in the midst of a psychotic episode.

PhuturePriest

It's a children's movie, and I have seen it.  It was cute enough.

I'm not insulting the move, just saying you're insulting yourself by using a movie rather than actual logic.

does-someone-need-a-hug-o.gif

I'm trying to find the nicest way to inform you I don't agree with you, and I don't find you're logic very sound. I don't believe in mass delusions where people all see the same imagination. It seems more reasonable to believe that the eye-witnesses on the ground saw what they say the saw, a priest come from no where and pray out load with the young lady then disappear. Who he was, where he came from and how he got there is an unknown. But he was seen by a number of people. You seem to be going back and forth from this man never existed in the first place to he was there and broke the law.

If this man existed, he broke the law.

If this man did not exist, he did not break the law.

If so-existing man was there for benevolent reasons he would not have broken the law, or common curtseys.

Therefore you either have a benevelont figment of imagination, or a malevolent human who messed with people's heads and neither is a miracle.

You're referring to folie a deux (or folie a [insert the # of people involved]). The initial delusional beliefs occurs during a psychotic episode. And there's no evidence to suggest the girl, or anyone else on scene, was in the midst of a psychotic episode.

or heightened emotional state...oh wait that can occur during a car accident.

PhuturePriest

Go bug CAF tutonic knight

I can't anymore. People actually like and respect me there now. It's quite sad.

I can't anymore. People actually like and respect me there now. It's quite sad.

no one ever said that was the most logical place, either.

HisChildForever

No, I'm not assuming the priest saw the accident.  If you come across an accident and cannot help, then yes, that's all he could say.  But he was interacting with the woman and any information he could give about her condition would of been of vital importance to the EMT's as well as anything that she told him being used to help the poliece figure out how the crash occured.  You don't go around speaking to victims all willy nilly unless you plan to stick around and help out either medically or emotinally or "spiritually" as it may be.

Religious figures are often called to sites, either by the injured or their family. So that's not unusual.

Since a priest, pastor, rabbi, imam, doesn't have (I'm assuming) medical training, it would do more harm than good for him/her to provide medical assistance. Especially with medical professionals right there...how ridiculous. The priest helped spiritually. Then he left - to get out of the way, because more medical personnel came on scene. He did his job.

The crash occurred an hour before this priest arrived. Any details the girl remembered were already shared with the police and medical personnel - since she was lucid (the article states she was discussing things like her church and schoolwork) I'm sure she informed personnel all about the accident. He also wasn't alone with the girl. Medical personnel were part of the spiritual experience - again, the article says that they were all on their knees as the priest prayed. Anything the girl happened to say, they heard.

Religious figures are often called to sites, either by the injured or their family. So that's not unusual.

Since a priest, pastor, rabbi, imam, doesn't have (I'm assuming) medical training, it would do more harm than good for him/her to provide medical assistance. Especially with medical professionals right there...how ridiculous. The priest helped spiritually. Then he left - to get out of the way, because more medical personnel came on scene. He did his job.

The crash occurred an hour before this priest arrived. Any details the girl remembered were already shared with the police and medical personnel - since she was lucid (the article states she was discussing things like her church and schoolwork) I'm sure she informed personnel all about the accident. He also wasn't alone with the girl. Medical personnel were part of the spiritual experience - again, the article says that they were all on their knees as the priest prayed. Anything the girl happened to say, they heard.

If no one knew who he was, he obvously wasn't called there.

I didn't say he provided medical assistance.  I'm saying those who provide moral support should stick around.

Just because they also heard dosn't mean that he gets a free pass to go running off like a jack rabit without introducing himself or leaving contact information if he had some other car wrek to dash off to.

. . . or common curtseys.

Did this mysterious priest actually curtsy while at the scene of the accident?

HisChildForever

or heightened emotional state...oh wait that can occur during a car accident.

Your proposal is not psychologically possible. There is absolutely no evidence that a handful of people all experienced a mass delusion, coming from one person's or multiple people's psychotic episode. There was obviously heightened stress but no where in the information given does it imply the girl was panicking, she was calm and talking about her life. No head trauma, no delirium, no garbled speech, no erratic behavior, no cognitive distortions, no history of psychosis. 

Did this mysterious priest actually curtsy while at the scene of the accident?

wow picking on spelling....this place is just loads of fun.

wow picking on spelling....this place is just loads of fun.

I see you have no sense of humor.

HisChildForever

Just because they also heard dosn't mean that he gets a free pass to go running off like a jack rabit without introducing himself or leaving contact information if he had some other car wrek to dash off to.

It was a serious car wreck, not a social event. He came, he prayed, he blessed, he got out of the way. Maybe he didn't want to be thanked - a lot of priests (well, any religious figureheads) are humble people who don't want any credit for doing the Lord's work.

It was a serious car wreck, not a social event. He came, he prayed, he blessed, he got out of the way. Maybe he didn't want to be thanked - a lot of priests (well, any religious figureheads) are humble people who don't want any credit for doing the Lord's work.

Being thanked is not the reason to stay around.  All observers during and post accident are important.  He should be aware of this if priests do these sort of things often.  And what is the woman going to do...write him a thank you card?  for real?  If a person is so afraid of a little thank you note that they run away from the scene of an accident than maybe they shouldn't be in ministry.