An Old School Catholic Message Board

Somalia Libertarian Paradise

CatholicsAreKewl

KnightofChrist

Would there be police to investigate, charge and arrest? Would there be judges to sentence?

If so, how do they operate and exist without the ability to employ coercion? Would the excused volunteerly submit?

Would there be police to investigate, charge and arrest? Would there be judges to sentence?

If so, how do they operate and exist without the ability to employ coercion? Would the excused volunteerly submit?

I don't know. I expect that would depend on the area. 

I take the position that aggression is always and everywhere immoral. I don't presume to take the place of the State in prescribing solutions for other people. 

Who do you imagine is saying that murder can be wished out of existence?

So you acknowledge that murder (and other violent crime) will likely remain a reality.

How do you propose dealing with murder?  

I really haven't heard you say much on this beyond invoking the "non-aggression principle."

So you acknowledge that murder (and other violent crime) will likely remain a reality.

How do you propose dealing with murder?  

I really haven't heard you say much on this beyond invoking the "non-aggression principle."

I'm going to continue to avoid murder.

Seeing as I'm Catholic, the alleged efficacy of the State doesn't justify it. (You can protest that the Church has never condemned the state. She has also never explained how a ruler works around the normal precepts against taking property by force).

Prison is not the only way to deal with murder. Social compensation of one form or another is one way societies in the past have dealt with murder to stop the cycle of vengeance (the "blood-money" payment is referenced in Beowulf). Another way is exile. Prisons of the modern sort are based on modern ideas of crime and punishment, and the industrialization of justice.

I'm going to continue to avoid murder.

Good for you.

But cute dodge.  What should we do if someone else murders someone else?

Seeing as I'm Catholic, the alleged efficacy of the State doesn't justify it. (You can protest that the Church has never condemned the state. She has also never explained how a ruler works around the normal precepts against taking property by force).

The Church teaches that the state may justly imprison or even put to death a man whose violent actions make him a danger to others.

But obviously you have a much superior understanding of Catholic morality than Doctors of the Church such as St. Thomas Aquinas.

You've yet to propose a realistic, coherent morally superior means of dealing with murderers and other violent offenders.

article seems to indicate that anarchists are full blow nutter butters. Or at least the one who wrote that is.

somalia post failed state: new and improved???? <<< loony tunes

Nihil Obstat

Just aside, it is nice to see so many experts on Somalian socioeconomic, geographic, and political issues here on Phatmass. I must confess that Somalia is a subject in which I am not at all qualified to make competent analyses. I hear the situation is rather complex. :proud:

Good for you.

But cute dodge.  What should we do if someone else murders someone else?

The Church teaches that the state may justly imprison or even put to death a man whose violent actions make him a danger to others.

But obviously you have a much superior understanding of Catholic morality than Doctors of the Church such as St. Thomas Aquinas.

You've yet to propose a realistic, coherent morally superior means of dealing with murderers and other violent offenders.

It's not a dodge. There is no "we". You can look up non-State based justice systems if you like. I reject that A may force B to pay for bringing C to justice. How A goes about seeking justice is complex.

I said: "She has also never explained how a ruler works around the normal precepts against taking property by force." The Church says what a state may do. She never explains how otherwise ordinary people achieve the special status of "state". If there is some official procedure, I haven't seen it. This will be easier if you write out the responses to the imaginary person you're trying to argue with in a little journal. Once that's out of your system, maybe you'll be able to respond to me.

I am not attempting to propose another system. I am rejecting that you can stick a gun in my ribs (or hire other people to do so) to make me deal with murderers. Your desire for Utopia does not create any obligations for me.

article seems to indicate that anarchists are full blow nutter butters. Or at least the one who wrote that is.

somalia post failed state: new and improved???? <<< loony tunes

Try reading the article instead of going all Rush Limbaugh.

KnightofChrist

I don't know. I expect that would depend on the area. 

I take the position that aggression is always and everywhere immoral. I don't presume to take the place of the State in prescribing solutions for other people.

Is coercion also always and everywhere immoral?

Economists familiar with the Rothbardian tradition have taken the analysis even further, persuasively arguing that Somalia is much better without a state than it was with one.

ding ding ding. people arguing "persuasively" that Somalia is "much better" now that it is a failed state. we have no further need of witnesses. nutter butters come in packs of 12.