Apotheoun Posted August 14, 2013 Posted August 14, 2013 From Byztex Blog Muslim Brotherhood sets St. George Church ablaze (IBTimes) - Supporters of ousted Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi have attacked churches in Dilga, Menya and Sohag after government security forces backed by armoured cars and bulldozers stormed protest camps outside Cairo's Rabaa al-Adawiya mosque. Coptic churches were attacked after hundreds of Muslim Brotherhood members were feared dead when troops used live bullet rounds and teargas to clear a protest camp in Cairo. The Churches of Abraham and the Virgin Mary in Menya were burning after Morsi supporters set fire to the outside of the building exteriors and smashed through doors. Russia Today reported that at least 1,000 pro-Morsi protesters were involved in the attack before police armed with teargas dispersed them. Muslim Brotherhood members also threw firebombs at Mar Gergiss church in Sohag, a city with a large community of Coptic Christians who represents up to 10 percent of Egypt's 84 million people, causing it to burn down, the official MENA news agency said. Protesters threw molotov cocktails at the Bon Pasteur Catholic Church and Monastery in Suez, setting it ablaze and breaking windows. The development came after Gulf News newspaper confirmed that its Egypt correspondent Habiba Abdel Aziz had been killed by sniper fire in Cairo.
Didacus Posted August 14, 2013 Posted August 14, 2013 If I remember, it was just last week that our new papa was saying that Catholics and Muslims should learn to work together. What should we do when the other attacks us with such violence? I understand what papa Francis said, and know he's right at the very least in principal - but faced wit hthis reality; what now?
arfink Posted August 14, 2013 Posted August 14, 2013 Well, I think this would definitely qualify as acts done in odium fidei as they say, which is the first ingredient of martyrdom. That said, I definitely do not think the Muslim Brotherhood are acting on behalf of all Muslims. I think it would be perfectly reasonable to resort to methods short of violence to stop them from burning more Churches. That at least is perfectly reasonable. If it was me, I'd be going around to gather Muslims and Christians alike to opposed the Brotherhood, because from what I can tell they do pretty horrible things to Muslims who aren't of their particular radical flavor as well, and are especially cruel to women.
beatitude Posted August 14, 2013 Posted August 14, 2013 Today in Egypt the military has been massacring (there is no other word for it) people affiliated with the Muslim Brotherhood in any capacity, including teenage girls, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that they had a hand in the burning church - especially as the churches lacked a guard (supposed to be provided at times of sectarian unrest) at the time of the burning. I have just been talking to someone who is in floods of tears after losing several of her relatives and friends in the slaughter today. It is quite disturbing the way in which this military coup is being portrayed in some circles as the good secularist soldiers (representing the people) versus the Muslim Brotherhood (oppressing the people). Pray for Egypt, and remember that the situation there is more complicated than it looks.
Apotheoun Posted August 14, 2013 Author Posted August 14, 2013 (edited) Today in Egypt the military has been massacring (there is no other word for it) people affiliated with the Muslim Brotherhood in any capacity, including teenage girls, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that they had a hand in the burning church - especially as the churches lacked a guard (supposed to be provided at times of sectarian unrest) at the time of the burning. I have just been talking to someone who is in floods of tears after losing several of her relatives and friends in the slaughter today. It is quite disturbing the way in which this military coup is being portrayed in some circles as the good secularist soldiers (representing the people) versus the Muslim Brotherhood (oppressing the people). Pray for Egypt, and remember that the situation there is more complicated than it looks. Actually, it is the Muslim Brotherhood (and other Muslim groups) that are killing Coptic Christians and attacking and burning down their Churches, and they are doing that because the Coptic Orthodox Church came out publicly in favor of the removal of Morsi. The Coptic Pope has received death threats because of his refusal to support Morsi's return and because of his (i.e., Pope Tawadros II's) rejection of the Sharia based constitution that was created by the Muslim Brotherhood Islamic government that was toppled by public protests a few months ago, protests that forced the military to act in removing Morsi and his cohorts from office in the first place. May God protect His people in Egypt from the attacks of the infidels. Edited August 14, 2013 by Apotheoun
Didacus Posted August 14, 2013 Posted August 14, 2013 Well from what little I've read I can at least say this with some degree of confidence. It does seem to me that the church burnings and military retaliations are POLITICAL and NOT religious. That being said; papa Francis may just have gotten it right 100% of the way. (papa always knows best) I would add the precision; may faithful muslims and faithful christians come together to oppose this polical evil. And let us pray for all.
Era Might Posted August 14, 2013 Posted August 14, 2013 If I remember, it was just last week that our new papa was saying that Catholics and Muslims should learn to work together. What should we do when the other attacks us with such violence? I understand what papa Francis said, and know he's right at the very least in principal - but faced wit hthis reality; what now? Do what the Jews did when attacked by Christian mobs over the ages...keep moving forward.
Nihil Obstat Posted August 14, 2013 Posted August 14, 2013 Actually, it is the Muslim Brotherhood (and other Muslim groups) that are killing Coptic Christians and attacking and burning down their Churches, and they are doing that because the Coptic Orthodox Church came out publicly in favor of the removal of Morsi. The Coptic Pope has received death threats because of his refusal to support Morsi's return and because of his (i.e., Pope Tawadros II's) rejection of the Sharia based constitution that was created by the Muslim Brotherhood Islamic government that was toppled by public protests a few months ago, protests that forced the military to act in removing Morsi and his cohorts from office in the first place. May God protect His people in Egypt from the attacks of the infidels. Very courageous of the Coptic Church. Good on them.
Spem in alium Posted August 15, 2013 Posted August 15, 2013 Just came across this news: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/14/us-egypt-protests-idUSBRE97C09A20130814 Lord have mercy.
arfink Posted August 15, 2013 Posted August 15, 2013 Holy cow... they just mowed them all down? It doesn't matter whether they murdered Christians (and it seems likely this could have been a set-up from some things I am hearing), they didn't deserve to be gunned down, men, women, and children alike while they were protesting.
Spem in alium Posted August 15, 2013 Posted August 15, 2013 Holy cow... they just mowed them all down? It doesn't matter whether they murdered Christians (and it seems likely this could have been a set-up from some things I am hearing), they didn't deserve to be gunned down, men, women, and children alike while they were protesting. Yeah, it's really dreadful.
CatherineM Posted August 15, 2013 Posted August 15, 2013 What I find ironic in all this stuff is that Egyptians had an uprising to get rid of a dictator, finally get free elections, and then elect the Muslim Brotherhood. The MB isn't secret. They have been upfront about what they want since after WWI. They get in power, do exactly what they said they were going to, and then everyone freaks out. I mean they made their beds, and are now setting them on fire.
Apotheoun Posted August 15, 2013 Author Posted August 15, 2013 Whether people want to admit it or not the Muslim Brotherhood is a terrorist organization and it has been attacking Coptic (and Catholic) Christians for years. Christian Churches Attacked, Burn All Over Egypt Islamists Raise Al Qaeda Flag Over Coptic Church in Egypt Why Does the Muslim Brotherhood Attack Churches? Coptic Christian Priest Killed In Egypt, Mina Aboud Sharween Shot In Northern Sinai https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx35YUPDJyI
Apotheoun Posted August 15, 2013 Author Posted August 15, 2013 Muslim Brotherhood Supporters Threaten Christians against Protesting From the article: "Sheikh Abdullah Badr, an Al Azhar trained scholar and professor of Islamic exegesis, made the following assertion on live TV: 'I swear to Allah, the day those who went out [to protest], and at their head, the [Coptic] Christians—I say this at the top of my voice—the day they think to come near Dr. Morsi, I—we—will pop their eyes out, and the eyes of all those who support them, even America; and America will burn, and all its inhabitants. Be assured, the day Dr. Morsi is touched by any hand whichever, and connected to whomever, by Allah it will be the last day for us. We will neither leave them, nor show them any mercy.'"
Apotheoun Posted August 15, 2013 Author Posted August 15, 2013 Egypt: Only Steel Bars Saved Suez Priest, Family An Anglican priest and his family narrowly escaped harm this morning after a mob armed with rocks and petrol bombs were kept out his church building by steel window bars. The Revd Ehab Ayoub, his family, a lay minister and a guard were trapped in St Saviour's Church, Suez, for hours while pro-Mursi supporters were attacking the building. Speaking from the Diocese of Egypt head office, Bishop's Chaplain the Revd Drew Schmotzer told ACNS, "They [the attackers] tried to get through the windows, but our steel bars prevented it (thanks be to God). "Eventually, the army came with tanks and personnel and after a long morning, the family are now out of the church and in a safe place." The attack on the church came to light after the Bishop of Egypt and Primate of the The Episcopal Church in Jerusalem & The Middle East, Mouneer Anis, posted an appeal for prayer on the diocesan website. "As I write these words, our St Saviour's Anglican Church in Suez is under heavy attack from those who support former President Mursi," he wrote. "They...have destroyed the car of Revd Ehab Ayoub, the priest-in-charge of St Saviour's Church. "I am also aware that there are attacks on other Orthodox churches in Menyia and Suhag in Upper Egypt, as well as a Catholic church in Suez. Some police stations are also under attack in different parts of Egypt. Please pray and ask others to pray for this inflammable situation in Egypt." . . .
Apotheoun Posted August 15, 2013 Author Posted August 15, 2013 Egypt’s Christians: Prime Targets for Muslim Brotherhood Violence and U.S. Indifference
Apotheoun Posted August 15, 2013 Author Posted August 15, 2013 The following report by the Blaze was completed two months before the ousting of the Islamist Morsi regime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcPK0rzLW78
beatitude Posted August 15, 2013 Posted August 15, 2013 Actually, it is the Muslim Brotherhood (and other Muslim groups) that are killing Coptic Christians and attacking and burning down their Churches, and they are doing that because the Coptic Orthodox Church came out publicly in favor of the removal of Morsi. The Coptic Pope has received death threats because of his refusal to support Morsi's return and because of his (i.e., Pope Tawadros II's) rejection of the Sharia based constitution that was created by the Muslim Brotherhood Islamic government that was toppled by public protests a few months ago, protests that forced the military to act in removing Morsi and his cohorts from office in the first place. May God protect His people in Egypt from the attacks of the infidels. I live right next door to all this, I know dozens of people in Egypt (most of them not MB-affiliated at all), and I have a pretty strong academic background in the history and politics of the region. It's more complicated that what you are writing. The murderousness of the military, however, is pretty simple to see. Sisi is set on being another dictator. You are very obviously pro-coup. I do not find it in myself to support such mass butchery of unarmed civilians for any reason and I am not going to try and make it look palatable through righteous religious language, especially not while I wait to hear that all my friends are OK.
CatholicsAreKewl Posted August 15, 2013 Posted August 15, 2013 Lol the ends always justify the means.
Apotheoun Posted August 15, 2013 Author Posted August 15, 2013 I live right next door to all this, I know dozens of people in Egypt (most of them not MB-affiliated at all), and I have a pretty strong academic background in the history and politics of the region. It's more complicated that what you are writing. The murderousness of the military, however, is pretty simple to see. Sisi is set on being another dictator. You are very obviously pro-coup. I do not find it in myself to support such mass butchery of unarmed civilians for any reason and I am not going to try and make it look palatable through righteous religious language, especially not while I wait to hear that all my friends are OK. I know a lot of Coptic Christians, I happen to live in Concord, where Fr. Anthony works to help people escape the oppression brought on by the Muslim Brotherhood, and you sound like a person out of your depth. Have you actually talked to a woman who has been spat on and attacked? I have. I think it is clear that the Muslim Brotherhood needs to be stopped, and I support any and all efforts to protect the minorities in Egypt from the Muslim Brotherhood and other radical Islamists.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now