An Old School Catholic Message Board

Debate About Consecrated Virginity

Sponsa-Christi

I was at my bishop's house for a meal with him and some friends today, and had nice memories of my consecration next door at the Cathedral. 

While simplicity is good, each bride has her own style, and I really liked the style Sara had for her big day.  Full bridal gown and train:  http://consecratedvirgins.org/usacv/sites/default/files/documents/newsletters/USACV_The_Lamp_Sept_8_2009.pdf  When I saw that picture in the USACV newsletter, I was glad to see such a lovely dress being used for so happy a day.

I agree, there are different kinds of beauty. A simple look can be elegant & beautiful. But I also LOVE to see a CV who looks like a queen, as Sara does in this photo. Both kinds of beauty are appropriate to the vocation.

wow, very nice! :)

Isn't it!

You know, I get it that some Catholics in the USA in these days (lay people, families) want to distance themselves from the crazy materiaistic culture we live in. I sympathize with a desire to not get sucked in to the shallowness of the culture.

At the same time, most people don't realize that St. Therese's mom was in the midst of the haute couture of her day! Alencon lace was posh and in high demand. She had a slew of rich ladies coming in and out of her parlor, all day long, ordering the high end lace that she made. (She made it herself, and she also oversaw women who made it, under her direction.) Eventually, Mr. Martin sold his watch business to help his wife, because her business was booming!

(Another interesting tidbit is that partly because they were immersed in a posh world, Mr. & Mrs. Martin got up super early each morning to attend the "workers' mass." It was at 6:00am, or so, don't remember exactly. But they wanted to attend the mass that the poor attended, the only mass that a grunt worker could go to, if he or she would go to daily mass at all. I think that is a beautiful way to combine living in a posh culture with ordering your day towards God.)

Here's a photo of Alencon lace, from a website (there are a lot of styles & patterns of the lace, of course):

Alencon_lace_ALJ1640_White_mon.jpg

http://www.housefabric.com/ALJ1640-White-P91852C84.aspx

In fact, I think I will start a thread on this topic. For those who have a devotion to St. Therese, having a bit of this lace is a nice tribute to her & her family.

Alright, my friends, just a quick note to say I'm thankful for all of you (even you grumpy ones ;)) and will be praying for you.

I really can't believe that after all the research and thought I've put into the Bride of Christ thread, it's been shut down.

I'm not comfortable sticking around under these circumstances. I really can't get a grasp on what the culture here is supposed to be--it just makes no sense to me--so there's no point.

Though I remain thankful to the forum moderators for all they do for the rest of you.

With prayers & affection!

AccountDeleted

Moving to Debate Table.

Thank you dUSt. It can't be easy for you to have to be parent/referee/whatever when things get tense and to make the tough calls. But keeping VS focused on threads for discerning vocations to religious life and priesthood is appreciated.

AccountDeleted

Edited by moderator: Personal attack. 7 day suspension. -dUSt

I am sorry if I gave the impression that dUSt does not value other forms of consecrated life. The omission of the words 'consecrated life' was mine and does not reflect what dUSt feels about Consecrated Hermits or Consecrated Widows or Consecrated Virgins or any other form of consecrated life at all. The fact that this thread was moved to Debate Table only indicates (to me at any rate) that this topic had differing opinions that made it a more relevant thread for DT than VS.

I was simply trying to state that dUSt has a difficult job trying to please everyone. I did not mean to cause more division or dissent. My apologies to all who were offended.

I am sorry if I gave the impression that dUSt does not value other forms of consecrated life. The omission of the words 'consecrated life' was mine and does not reflect what dUSt feels about Consecrated Hermits or Consecrated Widows or Consecrated Virgins or any other form of consecrated life at all. The fact that this thread was moved to Debate Table only indicates (to me at any rate) that this topic had differing opinions that made it a more relevant thread for DT than VS.

I was simply trying to state that dUSt has a difficult job trying to please everyone. I did not mean to cause more division or dissent. My apologies to all who were offended.

I just wanted a positive thread like the one for religious. Where we can think cheerful thoughts.

No debate. Just fun pictures. 

I'm hurt.

These threads were moved not because of the initial posts, but because they turned into debates after those posts.  With the new rule about debates in Vocation Station, we hope that this will not happen again to people's posts about their vocations, however we cannot always be on top of things and we prefer to have a light touch in moderating, therefore it may sometimes unfortunately happen that a thread in Vocation Station ends up moved to the Debate Table.  If everyone remembers to leave threads as safe places to discuss discernment without debating the nature of the vocations or being confrontational about them, this will hopefully not have to happen in the future.

As regards the other thread that was closed, it is a common practice that when a thread has already run through a large number of pages and begins to generate a plethora of reports, we close the thread to allow people to cool down and take some time, and possibly discuss the same topic at some later date in a new thread.  After 50 pages, I think everyone's positions speak for themselves to any reading audience, and obviously no side is going to convince the other side any time soon (this is the internet, after all).

Reminder that public criticism of moderator decisions is not allowed, please address your grievances through charitable personal messages and we will do our best to address your concerns if possible.

AccountDeleted

I just wanted a positive thread like the one for religious. Where we can think cheerful thoughts.

No debate. Just fun pictures. 

I'm hurt.

I didn't realize Aloysius had posted already in response to this so my post is redundant and I deleted it.

Edited by nunsense

I would just like to point out that while we cannot go back and determine who/what caused some of these threads to turn into debates, it is my understanding of the new rules that if someone were to post a new thread for "pictures and fun" about consecrated virginity in Vocation Station, it would be against the rules to initiate a debate in such a thread, as it should be a safe place for discussion of discernment regarding consecrated virginity as well, and anyone who believes that someone's view on consecrated virginity is incorrect would need to start a thread in the debate table rather than trying to correct them within their Vocation Station thread. 

as all these controversies are rather bewildering to the moderating team, quite frankly, I do hope the position is clarified now and I am not stepping on any sorts of landmines here :P

Well, so, I just reread what I wrote and I realized my saying I'm thankful to the moderators for what they do for the rest of you sounded snotty. I'm sorry, that's not how I meant it to sound! I said it that way because I'm bowing out and won't be around to benefit from the stuff I do like here. I do recognize what they have done for me in having this forum at all, and for the chance I had to chat with all of you. Good night!

Aloysius is correct (or I second what he just said).  If a thread in Vocation Station (VS) stuck to only pics of consecrations, without the debate, then it will be perfectly fine. 

With the new VS guidelines in place we mods will watch for that in the future and act accordingly.   

A lot has happened in this thread ... I am closing it.  If you want to debate anything related to consecrated virginity please open a new thread in debate table (NOT VS).  No need for more hurt feelings and misunderstandings in this thread.

If you want to post consecration pictures and open a new thread in VS -- please feel free.  Just be forewarned -- no debating please.

A gentle reminder to all to read the phorum rules listed at the top of the debate table, AND the VS rules in VS if you are going to post there.