An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Will Be Restricting Access To Vocation Station

dUSt

It has been brought to my attention that certain members make Vocation Station a rather hostile place to be. This is unacceptable. This board is not the Debate Table. This board is suppose to be a holy place people come to discern and discuss vocations.

Therefore, I will be speaking to my mods and various members to get a good sense of who needs their Vocation Station access revoked. They will be welcome to debate and participate on other parts of the phorum, just not here.

God bless you guys!

Thank you dUSt!

It has greatly saddened me to watch as VS has changed so negatively, and I truly hope that the atmosphere that was once so helpful and welcoming returns. 

AccountDeleted

Not a moment too soon dUSt. Thank you, thank you. This was always such a loving place before and it would be beautiful if it could be that way again. :pray:

AccountDeleted

I welcome everyone to IM me with suggestions on how the Vocation Station can be improved.

dUSt - I am not quite sure how to IM you. I can't seem to access the PM facility on phatmass to send a message, and I don't know what IM you are referring to  ....  is there an email address I could use?

As the resident non-discerning, non-Christian [hopefully] journeying toward a spiritual goal in life I have found many of the discussions here to be extremely interesting and often uplifting.  For those who do enter religious life, even temporarily, I have great respect, even though the Christian way is very different from the Jewish.

That being said, it's August, it's hot, and there's a certain testiness present; it's not unusual.  dUSt is to be commended for stepping in to remind us that courtesy is never amiss.

The following is an anecdote about a Sage who was an approximate contemporary of Jesus, Rabban Yochanan, said: 

"Go out and discern which is the proper way to which a man should cling"

Rabbi Eliezer said: "A good eye."

Rabbi Yehoshua said: "A good friend."

Rabbi Yossi said: "A good neighbor".

Rabbi Shimon said: "One who considers the outcome of a deed."

Rabbi Elazar said: "A good heart."

Rabbi Yochanan said: "I prefer the words of Rabbi Elazar to the words of all the rest of you, because your words are included in his words".  

[Pirke Avot -- The Ethics of the Fathers -- Chapter 1]

Quite coincidentally, this is the time of year when Jews offer prayers of repentance prior to the High Holy Days, which begin at the beginning of the second week of September this year.  One of the biggies we repent is the sin of loose or slanderous speech.

veritasop1206

Thank you! Hopefully the many who have stopped using Vocation Station as a help in their discernment process will now return. Blessings!

abrideofChrist

Good idea.  You used to restrict Vocation Station to those with a certain post count.  Part of the recent troubles were caused by people with no previous post counts who jumped in only to create personal attacks.

Edited by abrideofChrist

the post count thing is a good idea, but its really designed to root out trolls and spammers. That kind of activity is responsible for only a small fraction of the recent unpleasantness.